View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 11:52 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Yet more questions for Pete: Layout and PrePress 
Unkbartig

Post Yet more questions for Pete: Layout and PrePress
When you design the cover for a module or book, what software do you use for the layout? Is the majority of it done in a publisher program, like Microsoft Publisher?

What makes up process of laying out the text for the interior an what software is normally used here?

Do you typically convert to PDF when sending it to the printer?

Mon Jan 21, 2008 1:06 pm
Maukling

Post Re: Yet more questions for Pete: Layout and PrePress
Quote:
PIperdog wrote:
When you design the cover for a module or book, what software do you use for the layout? Is the majority of it done in a publisher program, like Microsoft Publisher?

What makes up process of laying out the text for the interior an what software is normally used here?

Do you typically convert to PDF when sending it to the printer?

The cover is done entirely in photoshop and is generally a separate file.

Interior layout work is InDesign. Text goes on one layer, art and maps on the other.

Either Steve or myself sets up the PDF.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

All of the modules I did for Pied Piper Publishing were in Adobe InDesign, including covers and interior. As Peter said, there are separate files for the cover and interior layout. The interior file is then paginated so that it'll print correctly as spreads (in Publisher, that's called printing as a booklet) and both press-quality PDF files are sent to the printer. Since the cover most likely has color which runs right to the edge of the page, that file is set up with a 1/8" bleed all the way around and the PDF needs to be set up to reflect that.

Most people use either Adobe InDesign or Quark Xpress. It used to be pretty much 100% Quark, but InDesign has been gobbling up their market share in the past few years. Rightly so. It's an awesome layout program which integrates readily with Photoshop and Illustrator. Now, if only the darned thing could re-open and edit a PDF!

EDIT: Just re-read the title. "Question for Pete". Sorry for jumping in with my two cents, Peter! Hope you don't mind

Mon Jan 21, 2008 3:41 pm
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

Thanks guys! The more I researched the requirements of various commercial printers, the more I found InDesign a standard. After checking out what it can do, I was really impressed. I was not impressed with the giant price tag, however. The CS3 is pretty salty, but I am finding some deals on ebay for the CS2 version.

Sat Jan 26, 2008 7:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]