Glad's drawings of the adventuring life.....

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I actually enjoy watercolour myself. Its my favorite medium in fact. Wish I had time to do more.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Jungger

Post by Jungger »

Yeah. Water colour is a beautiful medium. So many nice surprises can happen. I havent done much water though I have stuck pretty much to oil the whole time. One of the reasons, which may sound strange, is that I like the smell.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks for the heads up on the paint book, Jungger. Much appreciated.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's one I called, "Surrounded".....

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Excellent! If I did not know better I would swear Holloway composed it! It is exactly like his style. Great work Glad.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

ATOM wrote:
Excellent! If I did not know better I would swear Holloway composed it! It is exactly like his style. Great work Glad.

Hey, thanks ATOM....much appreciated.

I don't purposely shoot for a Holloway look but I guess all those years envying his stuff rubbed off on me a bit over time. If I could be 1/10th as good as Holloway....I'd be happy.

Thanks again for the kind words. Cheers.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's one I call "The Trap"....

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Nicely done, its very hard to give such extreme dimensions to a drawing but I think you did a great job of it.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks, Treebore....much appreciated.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Pretty good picture! I love the forced perspective. You must draw your characters pretty large to add all the fine details that you do.

I recommend you do a few more of these style drawings. They are great.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks ATOM.....that particular drawing was done on 10" x 14" paper.

I'm currently working on a "Beholder vs party" drawing for a guy from another site that requested it. It's still in its rough stages right now....

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Little bit further along....

I guess I'll get to inking soon. Cheers.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

I call this one..."Low and Behold'er!"...

Cheers.

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

Very nice! First thing I would do is teleport. Away. Anywhere.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

K2h2m3 wrote:
Very nice! First thing I would do is teleport. Away. Anywhere.

LOL...thanks.

I'm thinking the gnome cleric, seeing that the situation is dire, is contemplating on whether he should try and use the power of his god or just take his staff and throw it with a, "Go fetch, boy!" afterwards.....then run!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
LOL...thanks.

Naw, come on guys. Be creative. Go up to the beholder and try and sell em on the idea of contacts or optical insurance.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Naw, come on guys. Be creative. Go up to the beholder and try and sell em on the idea of contacts or optical insurance.

I think that particular company that makes singular, gigantic contact lenses went out of business. The only ones that were utilizing their services were Beholders and Cyclops....with the occasional Eye of the Deep. Not exactly the audience a company needs to thrive.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's a crappy picture of my latest doodle. Hopefully it'll be more distinct after I ink it.

It's a white dragon coming up from a frozen over river and surprising a party.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's the inked version....

And if anybody is wondering, that's a wolverine familiar next to the female wizard, not a miniature bear. LOL.

Cheers!

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

I have to say I really like your style. I'm pretty picky about what I like so take that as a compliment. There is another artist around here that I like the work of too.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Hey thanks! Much appreciated!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Don't take this the wrong way squire, but I like the initial picture a lot more before you added the 'gray' tones.

Peter Bradley

K2h2m3

Post by K2h2m3 »

I don't know....I think it lends it a modern 3e touch while having an oldschool composition. Kinda makes it unique to my eyes anyway.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Glad's detailing is brilliant. He always seems to get the characters poses and expressions spot on. I would love to see some of his work Photoshop colored. Now that would be slick!
P.S. Well done Glad you have single handedly resurrected a hibernating Art Forum! More power to you!

Keep up the good work chum!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Hey, thanks guys...I really appreciate that!

And I understand some people aren't going to like my art like maybe some others might....but hey, that's art for ya'. The word "subjective" was invented for art, I think.
I've had some really nice PM's sent to me about my stuff, and I want to give those guys a big thanks. Feedback is great for artists as I think it motivates them to strive to become better at what they do. I have no delusions of where my art stands right now, but I'd like to eventually get good enough to feel comfortable enough with it to submit some of my stuff to small publishers for some interior work.

And ATOM, while I'm computer illiterate, I have just bought some Illustration board and some acrylic mediums to start trying to put some color to my art in the traditional sense. I've always been a pencil or pen kinduv guy, so this is a big step for me. We'll see.

And one last thing....a member over at Pied Piper where I also put up some of my art, suggested an idea for a picture that I thought was very cool. He would like for me to attempt a gnome mage, who's surrounded in a cave by goblinoids, making a last ditch effort to destroy them before they can get to him by smashing his magical stave on the cave floor and blowing it up. He wants me to capture the scene right as the stave is initially coming apart and energy (light) is emanating from it as the goblins are backing away from it, ultimately realizing their doom.

That's what I'm working on right now....just started laying down the pencils on it after completing the thumbnails. I'll post some of the progression later.

Cheers!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

*smiles* The grey tones thing was more a technical quibble. The point I was getting at, besides liking the picture, was that, in my entirely subjective opinion, the over all image would have been stronger with just the use of black and white ink lines, without the grey pencil tone.
Might make Joseph Goodman aware of your work over at GoodmanGames. He's interested in very specific styles of art that yours, oddly enough, matches.

Peter Bradley

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
*smiles* The grey tones thing was more a technical quibble. The point I was getting at, besides liking the picture, was that, in my entirely subjective opinion, the over all image would have been stronger with just the use of black and white ink lines, without the grey pencil tone.
Might make Joseph Goodman aware of your work over at GoodmanGames. He's interested in very specific styles of art that yours, oddly enough, matches.

Oh, no sweat, Peter.

To be honest, I used the gray tones (besides the fact that I use them in a lot of my black and white drawings) because it was a snow and ice scene and I just wanted something to breakup the cold black lines from the vast whiteness of the background.

And hey, I appreciate the heads up on the Goodman Games thing. I've had a couple of people message me about that possibility. Thanks!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
And hey, I appreciate the heads up on the Goodman Games thing. I've had a couple of people message me about that possibility. Thanks!

There's no doubt your work is publishable. Just wanted to point you in the right direction with a chap who's got the best chance of getting your style a lot of exposure.

Not that we don't have the odd monster book and the like coming up. But I'm not stingy in my pointing out worthwhile opportunity either.

Peter Bradley

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
There's no doubt your work is publishable. Just wanted to point you in the right direction with a chap who's got the best chance of getting your style a lot of exposure.

Not that we don't have the odd monster book and the like coming up. But I'm not stingy in my pointing out worthwhile opportunity either.

I really appreciate the vote of confidence....coming from someone that's already a success in the business, it means alot.

And yeah, if you guys ever have some work for interiors, I'd love to give it a shot. Just let me know.

Thanks again, Peter.

Edit: Here's the beginnings of my roughs for the "gnome mage against the goblinoids" pic.

This one will probably take a little while since there are no less than 25 individual characters in this pic. The pencils are still in their rough and lightly drawn stages right now, so the image is a little hard to make out. Sorry.

Anyways, back to the drawing board.

Cheers!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

*chuckles* I know I have a warped mind.. but there's something very wrong about the position of the gnomes....stick.

Peter Bradley