Glad's drawings of the adventuring life.....

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Somehow I knew that was going to come up.
Perspective can be a gnome's friend.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

gideon_thorne wrote:
*chuckles* I know I have a warped mind.. but there's something very wrong about the position of the gnomes....stick.

Err! I don't think that's a stick Gideon!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

A little progress on the whole mess....my fingers are cramping.
This is a blurry photo of the what I've got done so far and the second pic is of the top part of the page scanned so that it's a bit clearer.

More tomorrow....time for sleep. Cheers!

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Final pencils on the gnome mage vs goblinoid pic....on to inking now. I also cleaned up an old drawing of mine from around 9 years ago that I originally posted in this thread, but it was disturbingly blurry.

Cheers!

Darth Cestual
Skobbit

Post by Darth Cestual »

Excellent work Glad, kudos!

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Darth Cestual wrote:
Excellent work Glad, kudos!

Thanks, DC!

Here's the first wave of inking on that gnome mage pic. Looks like a coloring book page.
More later....peace.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's the final inks on the pic...right side is a bit bleached out due to the flash on my camera but it's the same tone as the left on the original.

Cheers!

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Excellent work as usual Glad! Man! All that detailing must have worn you out!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

On your camera?!? On your CAMERA?!?

Folks, let's all pitch in and get the nice man a scanner... OK?

Good stuff, Gladiator.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks a lot, fellas.....glad you like it.

And yeah, I take pics of my bigger drawings with my digital camera because my scanner only scans pages that are roughly typing paper size, give or take an inch. This particular drawing was done on 10" by 14" paper...unfortunately, too big for my cheapo scanner.

But you guys feel free to pool your money together and get me one of those big scanners....my birthday just happens to fall on this month.
In all seriousness, I just got commissioned to do a gaming group's party in an action scene....I'll end up having to take that to Kinkos to get it scanned as they want the .jpg file for it, so I'll probably end up taking a few of my bigger doodles and have them scan those as well when I go.

I'll post more of my doodles after I get done doing this commissioned piece...until then, take er' easy!

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Thanks a lot, fellas.....glad you like it.

And yeah, I take pics of my bigger drawings with my digital camera because my scanner only scans pages that are roughly typing paper size, give or take an inch. This particular drawing was done on 10" by 14" paper...unfortunately, too big for my cheapo scanner.

But you guys feel free to pool your money together and get me one of those big scanners....my birthday just happens to fall on this month.
In all seriousness, I just got commissioned to do a gaming group's party in an action scene....I'll end up having to take that to Kinkos to get it scanned as they want the .jpg file for it, so I'll probably end up taking a few of my bigger doodles and have them scan those as well when I go.

I'll post more of my doodles after I get done doing this commissioned piece...until then, take er' easy!

You can get a good scanner for about $100. Its letter size scanning, but I scan pictures in that are 19x24 in sections all the time. I just piece em together in photoshop.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
Gladiator27 wrote:
You can get a good scanner for about $100. Its letter size scanning, but I scan pictures in that are 19x24 in sections all the time. I just piece em together in photoshop.

The problem I have with my scanner (even if I had Photoshop to piece them together, which I don't) is that my scanner lid comes down and curls the paper that overlaps the front edge of the scanner face. It makes a nasty crease on the paper that ruins it. If I don't get the lid all the way down, the image doesn't "burn" correctly on the paper and it looks terrible.

Like the piece that I'm doing for the commission, I'll definitely go to Kinkos and get that scanned for them, but for simple ol' "hey guys, here's my latest doodle" (and I don't mean to come across as a jerk,) but the lame-o digital camera is gonna have to do on my bigger pics, because I don't have $700 bucks to plunk down for a decent scanner and Photoshop at this time.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

It is a shame Glad! Your work is great, if you could scan it in and present it better you would most definately get lots of commission offers! Freewebs offer free web sites where you could showcase your work and if you then advertised on the forums and people could see your work properly scanned on your site, believe me...the offers would roll in!

We want to see you get ahead my friend.
Keep up the good work Glad....it will begin to pay off soon.All up and coming artists need to put a few bucks aside for materials and equipment.

It pays off in the future!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Like the piece that I'm doing for the commission, I'll definitely go to Kinkos and get that scanned for them, but for simple ol' "hey guys, here's my latest doodle" (and I don't mean to come across as a jerk,) but the lame-o digital camera is gonna have to do on my bigger pics, because I don't have $700 bucks to plunk down for a decent scanner and Photoshop at this time.

Well. Another tip. www.gimp.com <---this works like photoshop and is free.

Also, one can get software at a very reduced price when one is taking college classes. I bought a lot of software and hardware with college grant money.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks, ATOM and Peter, I appreciate the help.

To be honest with you guys, this whole thing is a fluke. One day, about a month or so back, I was looking for Jim Holloway art online, discovered his website and nostalgia flooded my cranium from back in the day when I use to game regularly while perusing his art. Well, while Jim's personal site popped up, so did a bunch of others where people have mentioned his name....thus my stumbling upon this site and a couple of others. After reading the stuff that involved JH, my first inclination was to seek out the art forums on these sites, because....well, I like to see other people's art when it comes to this genre. So putting a couple of my own drawings up, I didn't expect it to get critiqued or analyzed. I figured a couple people might go, "oh look, a dwarf" and that be that.

Anyways, a lot of people have been very kind since I've started dropping in with my art to these forums, which I'm very appreciative of, and I even submitted my stuff to 3 different small press companies this past week and got nada, not even a "YOU STINK!!!" So the stuff I continue to put up in here is just stuff I doodle in hopes that some may dig em', or that it may bring back some memories of some adventures they may have been through in the past. That's all.

Deogolf
Lore Drake

Post by Deogolf »

I think the illustration is great! (Contrary to what a certain other person thought!) I can definitely see the Jim influence in that one!

Keep it up!!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks, John....I'm glad you like it.

(And John is referring to someone from another site. )

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Thanks, John....I'm glad you like it.

(And John is referring to someone from another site. )

Beware, most folks on these 'other' sites are crazy

Peter Bradley

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thought I'd show you guys some of my old stuff I dug up recently. Most of this is pretty bad and some of it humorously so. Most of these fall between 10 and 15 years old, except one that I started in 00'.

First up is an old pic that the concept was to have 3 thieves pilfering through treasure while 2 of em' noticed that a dragon is sneeking up behind them. The wall in the background was going to have a shadow of a dragon's head on it....never finished it, so in the "doodle graveyard" it went.

Second up is an old pic (close to 15 years old or so) dealing with an Ettin getting ready to fall into a party's trap. This one is terrible for so many reasons, but for some odd reason, not because he's drawn particularly well....I've always liked the little halfling up in the tree. Go figure.

Next up is a pic that I liked the concept, but the execution wasn't exactly all that great. I wanted a kinduv odd perspective (which the perspective in the pic doesn't work at all) with a group of dwarves hoisting a downed Hill Giant's arm up in the air using a tree branch and rope....kinduv like a hunter would hoist a deer up in a tree after killing it. The one dwarf off to the left looks like he's posing for a photograph....cause', you know....they had cameras back then.
Next is my very poor attempt bringing some color to my drawings with colored pencils. I've since found out that colored pencils are not my friend, thus it never got completed...and off to the doodle graveyard it went.

And this is the last and most recent one to get thrown in the doodle graveyard. It was originally supposed to be an Ettin that the party was fighting, but one of the Ettin's heads kept frustrating me. So I hacked it off and thought I'd make him a smallish Hill Giant THEN I got so urked at myself for not being able to make it what I had originally sought out to make him, I just said, "screw it." Thus the reason you see a big ol' hole on the giant's chest area.....his brother's head used to be there.
Doggin', though warranted, is not necessary.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Good stuff, Glad. I don't think colored pencils hated you too badly. Might have just been the pencils themselves. If the lead is too hard, it makes it tough to blend.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

There's a trick one can do with prismacolour pencils. It involves the use of paint thinner and a brush. Prismacolour can be manipulated like paint sort of. Although, treating it like a watercolor painting and working from light to dark is best.

Peter Bradley

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks Jason....I don't know about the "good" part, but "stuff" definitely works.
And yeah, if memory serves, the pencils had pretty hard lead. And I've heard something about what you're talking about, Peter, yet never tried it.

As far as color goes, Acrylics is where I'm going to put all my efforts into mastering (and I use the word "mastering" loosely.) While I can certainly understand where people doing the digital coloring route are coming from....no mess, lots of cool effects available, no cost as far as paints, brushes and canvases are concerned, and maybe for some, it's just an easier medium over traditional painting, but there's something about having an actual tangible painting in my hands after all is said and done that's more appealing to me personally.

Don't take that as a dig if you're an artist that's into the digital medium. I think I've just always been envious of those that could paint traditionally, so I want to try and get better at it myself in the future. Problem is, I'm a shark on land when it comes to that stuff.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'm tellin' ya, hit the kiddie aisle. Get a yourself tray of tempera for less than $3. Talk about low-cost experimentation!

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

jaybird216 wrote:
I'm tellin' ya, hit the kiddie aisle. Get a yourself tray of tempera for less than $3. Talk about low-cost experimentation!

I just may do that, Jason.
I've got this one single rough sketch of a halfling being confronted by a hag in a swamp in a brand new watercolor pad that I just bought and I'm going to attempt to put watercolors to it here soon. I've used watercolors a few times and feel fairly comfortable with them, but I've never attempted one of my fantasy sketches in em'. This'll be the first.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

You could always scan it and print it out on watercolor paper (most inkjets should be able to handle it). That way you're not putting the original at peril. Unless you like living without a net!

I like living without Frankie and Annette.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Thanks Jason....I don't know about the "good" part, but "stuff" definitely works.
And yeah, if memory serves, the pencils had pretty hard lead. And I've heard something about what you're talking about, Peter, yet never tried it.

As far as color goes, Acrylics is where I'm going to put all my efforts into mastering (and I use the word "mastering" loosely.) While I can certainly understand where people doing the digital coloring route are coming from....no mess, lots of cool effects available, no cost as far as paints, brushes and canvases are concerned, and maybe for some, it's just an easier medium over traditional painting, but there's something about having an actual tangible painting in my hands after all is said and done that's more appealing to me personally.

Don't take that as a dig if you're an artist that's into the digital medium. I think I've just always been envious of those that could paint traditionally, so I want to try and get better at it myself in the future. Problem is, I'm a shark on land when it comes to that stuff.

Im right there with you mate. I would much rather do work in watercolour. Most of the time though, my work lately is done via computer simply cause, for some reason, im a damn sight faster with it. Granted, I'm a fan of experimenting with new 'tools' like the computer.

But I can oil paint too:

Peter Bradley

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Very nice, Peter!

What do you find easier to use, acrylics or oils? I know oils take forever to dry and acrylics dry real fast, so there's the whole blending of the paints thing for some artist.

As far as painting, I'm a "hands on" kinduv guy, myself. I can read and read about how to do something, but it doesn't always sink in. Show me how to do it, I'm gold...well, after a few trials with errors.
I've never taken any art lessons, much less painting lessons, so everything I try to accomplish artistically is from the hip...and usually with a fair amount of frustration. An established painting artist that paints in this genre needs to make a DVD with beginning to end instructions for acrylics (or oils) and put it out there to purchase. I bet a ton of people would snap it up...because I know I'm not the only struggling and frustrated artist. 'Twould be cool.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Gladiator27 wrote:
An established painting artist that paints in this genre needs to make a DVD with beginning to end instructions for acrylics (or oils) and put it out there to purchase. I bet a ton of people would snap it up...because I know I'm not the only struggling and frustrated artist. 'Twould be cool.

Shawn Barber's a concept artist, not necessarily a gaming artist, but his instructional DVD gets some pretty good reviews. I plan on picking it up when I get the chance - it seems like a deal, even at $55, and part of that money goes to support ConceptArt.org which makes it an even better buy.

As for getting acrylics to blend a bit and to stay wet longer, try picking up some gel medium and either coating the canvas with it or adding it to the paint as you mix on the palette. It's pretty neat stuff.

Nice oils, Peter.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Very nice, Peter!

What do you find easier to use, acrylics or oils? I know oils take forever to dry and acrylics dry real fast, so there's the whole blending of the paints thing for some artist.

I actually find watercolors easier to use. When I paint in acrylics, I treat them like I do water colours and paint in light to dark layers with glazes.

Now, as far as oils go, there exists now Oil Paints that blend with water. So, no long drying times. (No stinky paint thinners either)

I'm comfortable in a variety of mediums. The notable exception being pen and ink. All that black and white line art I've done in various modules is all computer. ^_^

Peter Bradley

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

We are lucky! There has never been a better time for Artists, with all the new mediums and products out there...there has to be something now to suit every artists style! Experiment with everything, that's what I say! It would be nice to master every medium possible, but in reality one or two would suit me just fine...you never know until you try it eh?

That picture looks good Glad! A good basis for a painting.

(nice painting Gideon)
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog