Glad's drawings of the adventuring life.....

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

jaybird216 wrote:
Shawn Barber's a concept artist, not necessarily a gaming artist, but his instructional DVD gets some pretty good reviews. I plan on picking it up when I get the chance - it seems like a deal, even at $55, and part of that money goes to support ConceptArt.org which makes it an even better buy.

As for getting acrylics to blend a bit and to stay wet longer, try picking up some gel medium and either coating the canvas with it or adding it to the paint as you mix on the palette. It's pretty neat stuff.

Nice oils, Peter.

Good find, Jason!

I might just have to check that out.

Here's a quick instructional video that's a snippet of what's on an actual DVD from Ed Beard Jr.'s instructional series that I was considering getting.

And thanks ATOM. http://www.edbeardjr.com/dragonpaintingdemo.html

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Here's another old one I came across. It was another incomplete one that needed a little help to get it finished. Some might say it still needs a little help.
I call it "Harpy Valley P.T.A."

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Great work Glad. You have certaintly captured the moment in this one. "Get up and do something Dwarf!" I think I would be retreating back into the cave if I was those guys. A very dynamic piece, colored it would make an excellent cover piece. You have definately mastered working in inks my friend.
You need a website to show all these little gems off.
Harpy Valley PTA...LOL!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Thanks ATOM, I'm glad you like it.

Couple of things on this one. It originally had an Ettin crawling up the side of the cliff with one hand grabbing the edge where the elf and dwarf are. I had an arrow lodged in one of the Ettin's heads but I never was satisfied with the way the Ettin looked....so bye-bye he went. Then I added the Harpies thinking that they would be a more fitting adversary for the two adventurers...especially up high like they are.

The dwarf sitting on his duff, appearing not to be interested in helping his companion is my fault. When I had the Ettin originally, the dwarf was supposed to be wounded while the elf kept the Ettin at bay. Problem is, aside from looking tired, you can't tell the dwarf has been hurt. I need to do something about that because you're absolutely right....he looks like he's just coppin' a squat. If anyone has a suggestion, given their current situation on how to give the hint that he's wounded, I'm all ears.

And while I appreciate the compliment on the inking....I didn't think this piece was that great so she's still in the pencil stage of it all. I haven't decided on whether I'm going to ink it yet or not. Now that I think about it, I may very well do what you suggested and put some color to it on illustration board. I've been wanting to take one of my sketches and attempt putting some acrylics to it....I may just do this one.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Gladiator27 wrote:
Problem is, aside from looking tired, you can't tell the dwarf has been hurt. I need to do something about that because you're absolutely right....he looks like he's just coppin' a squat. If anyone has a suggestion, given their current situation on how to give the hint that he's wounded, I'm all ears.

A dark liquid stain under the dwarf, and perhaps a tear in his armor/clothing around the waist, hip or leg? It'll look like a severe wound pooling on the ground.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

gideon_thorne wrote:
A dark liquid stain under the dwarf, and perhaps a tear in his armor/clothing around the waist, hip or leg? It'll look like a severe wound pooling on the ground.

Yeah, that could work....maybe some talon scrapes across his chest plate to go along with the pooled blood.

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Or maybe a dark stain on the front of his pants. "Harpies... Why'd it have to be harpies?"

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

jaybird216 wrote:
Or maybe a dark stain on the front of his pants. "Harpies... Why'd it have to be harpies?"

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Slight upgrade on the Harpy drawing. Darkened in the shadow cast by the Harpy wing on the cliff side and gave the dwarf a wound on his leg.

Like, OMG...it's like a whole new doodle!!! Totally.

Wulfgarn
Lore Drake

Post by Wulfgarn »

Peter you make me ill- you are far too talented man--- and have acces to great models ...

Great work

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Wulfgarn wrote:
Peter you make me ill- you are far too talented man--- and have acces to great models ...

Great work

I'd hate to meet the girl that Glad used as a model for this piece!

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

jaybird216 wrote:
I'd hate to meet the girl that Glad used as a model for this piece!

I think the girl I used for this model was Miss Harpy 05'.

While I'm posting, anybody got a favorite D&D creature that they wanna toss out there. I'm trying to come up with some new ideas to toss around on paper while I finish up the piece I've been working on.

I'm considering a Chimera....I don't think I've ever drawn one of those, but I'm open to anything.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Otyugh Otyugh! NeoOtyugh! NeoOtyugh! SonofKyuss SonofKyuss! And a Chimera all fighting in a bone filled cavern! I'm excited me!
Sons of Kyuss especially!

Tell you what You set me an Art task and I will complete that too. It may not be as good as yours but I will try my best!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Hook horror! Owl bear!

But if you're doing old-school freebies just for fun, it might not hurt to go take a look at Solo's call for art over at dragonsfoot. Kill two stirges with one stone, as it were.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

ATOM wrote:
Otyugh Otyugh! NeoOtyugh! NeoOtyugh! SonofKyuss SonofKyuss! And a Chimera all fighting in a bone filled cavern! I'm excited me!
Sons of Kyuss especially!

Tell you what You set me an Art task and I will complete that too. It may not be as good as yours but I will try my best!

OK, I just looked up Son of Kyuss on Yahoo and only pics of a band came up. I'm gonna be honest....I'm not even familiar with Son of Kyuss. If you've got a pic or a reference point that might help me out, I'll see what I can do.

I'v never drawn an Otyugh either, but I know what they are.
"My art task for you, ATOM...should you take this mission will be of a Spirit Naga attacking a party of 3 (one elf, one dwarf and one human...you pick their classes and genders) in an underground dwelling....possibly an underground ruin that's got treasure lying about. This post will self destruct in T-minus 5 seconds. Good luck."

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Sounds like the cover of L3 Deep Dwarven Delve! But you are on my artistically gifted chum! I shall start on the morrow!
Jay is right about Artwork for the current Dragonsfoot project. Jay you create a Lizard sucking its tail while Winston the cat looks on!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Here, after I emailed ATOM and told him I wasn't going to threadjack you. My take on the Sons of Kyuss. They're basically zombies with nasty flesh-eating worms that shoot out of their eyes and mouths.

Eat the worm!

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

ATOM wrote:
Jay you create a Lizard sucking its tail while Winston the cat looks on!

Winston the Cat will just be my new signature.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Jay God bless him has a picture for every occasion! Hmmmm! I bet he does not have a picture of a Gnoll Bard playing a severed leg like a lute?

Here is another Son of Kyuss I made for NWN from a basic skelly.

They appear as rotting skeletal undead with green worms crawling out of their face orifices! In combat the worms can jump and attack victims!

ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Sorry Glad but your thread is so warm and cosy we just want to live over here for a while!
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

jaybird216 wrote:
Hook horror! Owl bear!

But if you're doing old-school freebies just for fun, it might not hurt to go take a look at Solo's call for art over at dragonsfoot. Kill two stirges with one stone, as it were.

Never done a Hook Horror either! I do have an old doodle of an Owl Bear though....it's atrocious, but I'll put it up for you anyway. Don't say I didn't warn you. She never got completed, so off to the doodle graveyard she's been sitting.

And I wouldn't want you to feel left out, Jason.
If you've got some time and you want a little drawing task, how about a minotaur attacking a party of 3 (halfling, dwarf and human, your choice on classes and genders) in a hedge maze, sorta like in The Shining.

And I'll definitely check out that link you provided....thanks!

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

The Shining? You mean that heart-warming feel good story of fatherly love?

I'll see what I can do, Glad. That owlbear is great!

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

You are far too critical of your own work Glad! I think that piece rocks!

But I suppose you cant help being a profectionist! Permission to nick that piece for coloring purposes? You can have it back when I'm finished honest! I have been dying to color one of your pieces.It will still remain your original concept artwork.

The arm would probably look better curved towards the Dwarf.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

ATOM wrote:
It will still remain your original concept artwork.
Don't believe him! That's how he wound up with my 1974 Buick LeSabre! He said he was just going to the corner to get a pack of smokes. That was 7 years ago!

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

ATOM wrote:
Sorry Glad but your thread is so warm and cosy we just want to live over here for a while!

No problems, fellas.......mi' thread es su thread. If something comes of it that we're shooting each other ideas and getting some practice in, all the better, I say.

Good luck on your drawings.......and for now, I'll take on the Otyugh since that was the first out of the starting gate. Then I may take a jab at the Hook Horror.....I always liked those guys back in the day.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

And you swore to me you were straight! That night I stead over.....
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

ATOM wrote:
You are far too critical of your own work Glad! I think that piece rocks!

But I suppose you cant help being a profectionist! Permission to nick that piece for coloring purposes? You can have it back when I'm finished honest! I have been dying to color one of your pieces.It will still remain your original concept artwork.

The arm would probably look better curved towards the Dwarf.

Go for it!

The arm was drawn down like that to somewhat frame the dwarf in the center of it all. I had the tree to the left (which didn't get completed, feel free to add texture to it if you like) and the Owl Bear was going to frame him from the right side.

I appreciate the kind words fellas....but it just wasn't doing anything for me. Have fun with it, ATOM!

K2h2m3
Red Cap

Post by K2h2m3 »

Perhaps it was because the subjects were static?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The look of the dwarf is off, in my opinion. He's looking at the "camera" and not at the owlbear. At least, that's how it comes out to me. If his head was just slightly shifted to the right, it would work much better.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Here is Glad's picture colored in photoshop with my meagre skills! I really

like this piece, it is simple yet effective.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog