Water-mixable oils

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
jaybird216
Lore Drake

Water-mixable oils

Post by jaybird216 »

Hey Peter (or anyone else, really),

I didn't want to threadjack Gladiator, so I started a new topic. I've seen the water-soluble oils before, but have never tried them. Have you? I'm tempted to pick up a set and see how it goes.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

No worries, Jason...but I appreciate the consideration.

This is a good thread though. Maybe a thread all the artist here can use to swap ideas and ask general art questions in.

As far as the water soluble oils Peter mentioned the other day, I for one had never even heard of em' before Peter mentioned them. To add to Jason's query, what's the benefits of a water soluble oil based paint over acrylics?

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

I'd seen 'em at Hobby Lobby before, but never gave them much thought. After Peter mentioned them the other day, I thought I might give them a try. I popped by the store yesterday to pick up a set, and the display was empty! Supposedly they handle and mix like oils, but with a much shorter drying time and no need for harmful and smelleriffic thinners.

But, yeah... I was wondering if anyone had experience with specific pros and cons?

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

That oil painting I pointed out on my site was done with the water mixable oils.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Hmmm! I'm sold...think I will get me a set this weekend. Poor ol Jay will be looking around the kiddies isle to see if they have any there! (he is right though...anything to save a few beer vouchers!)
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

I should mention, I also oil paint using layers of glazes.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

It looked good, Peter. I'll have to give it a try. My oil painting style is a mix of fat and thin, but I'm sure it'll hold up.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

There's a lady I know, name of Denise Gardner who does the most fascinating trick with Watercolours too. She uses a transparent gesso ground to coat over a white gesso surface. This has the effect of making an almost paper like absorption.

The watercolours come out like they've been painted on glossy plastic.

Peter Bradley

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

ATOM wrote:
Poor ol Jay will be looking around the kiddies isle to see if they have any there! (he is right though...anything to save a few beer vouchers!)

No luck there, my friend. Though I will wait until next week to get them. Hobby Lobby usually has a 40% OFF anything in the store coupon on their website. This week's is something different, so I'll wait them out, like the cheap ba***** I truly am.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

http://www.dickblick.com/categories/watermiscibleoils/

Save yourselves some store hopping. Order direct.

Peter Bradley

Jungger
Hlobane Orc

Post by Jungger »

All my experience is with the regular oil paints so I don't really have much advice to offer.

However, I will try:

I am not sure if water bases oils act the same as the regular ones but sometimes oils have a tendency to sink (look matte) into the canvas in areas and not in others giving the surface an inconsistent look. When this happens with mine I go over the painting with something called retouching varnish. Now, you may not need that stuff specifically but if your paints do sink, just know that there are things avail to even out the surface and give a nice professional look, be it glossy or matte.

Hope that helps if it's relevant.