Minis from The Western Tennessee Gnome Liberation League

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Harry Joy
Ulthal

Minis from The Western Tennessee Gnome Liberation League

Post by Harry Joy »

Hopefully glow.

Wulfgarn

Post by Wulfgarn »

Very nice work- I also love your leagues name!

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Thanks!

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

And looking at these, my preference for the pole arms is quite obvious, ain't it? I suppose that goes along with "skill monkey" as a my stereotypical character.

Gladiator27
Red Cap

Post by Gladiator27 »

Good job!

I especiallly like the fact that you went the extra step and made the bases realistic.

Makes me want to pull out some miniatures and give it a go. I think the last time I picked up paints to tackle a miniature was 8 or so years ago.

To say I'd be rusty would be an understatement....I think I'll just leave it to you guys that do it well.

Brutorz Bill
Red Cap

Post by Brutorz Bill »

We are very lucky to have Don in our group, he's a great player, great friend and an Awesome painter!

I've got alot more of his painted minis that we need to post, but my camera is sub-par. They are currently on my game table awaiting our next session. Hopefully we can get some pictures taken at our next game.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Brutorz Bill wrote:
We are very lucky to have Don in our group, he's a great player, great friend and an Awesome painter!

I was telling somebody this morning that while mine are OK, Don's are incredible, and complete! Notice his have fronts AND backs. Mine only look good from one direction. And about three feet away.

Davaris

Post by Davaris »

I'd love to learn how to make figures like that. Are there any sites that specialize in this kind of thing?

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Davaris wrote:
I'd love to learn how to make figures like that. Are there any sites that specialize in this kind of thing?

The man who painted the better ones above, the incomparable Donald Fairtax Moss, who can't be bothered to gather enough posts to be able to share links hizownself, suggests these fine, fine sites:
http://www.hfmodeling.com/
HF Modeling - How To Paint Oils Over Acrylics
http://www.planetfigure.com/
http://www.timelinesforum.com/

Davaris

Post by Davaris »

Thanks for the links Harry Joy and Donald Fairtax Moss.
Since I made that post I've been doing a bit of research on it, but could only find links to sites where the artists used acrylics. I must say I think the oils look a lot better than acrylics as the acrylics look almost chalky by comparison.

I also got the impression that you can mix oils to make your own colors, which could make the hobby a lot cheaper depending on how much painting you intend to do.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

The "chalkiness" is entirely the fault of my technique, which is, no technique. I just slap it on. I've seen tons of figures done with acrylics that look fine. Your average Warhammer guy probably uses acrylics.

But the points you make for oils are what are, in fact, the main benefits of using oils. I just haven't made that leap yet. The inestimable Donald "Fingers" Moss has stated on several occasions that my acrylic work would make a fine base for oils.

ATOM
Hlobane Orc

Post by ATOM »

Looking good Harry Joy! Those DF Moss figures are excellent. I also like the way you have presented and photographed them.
ATOM's WEB Site

3-headed Blog

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

Thank you. Hopefully next week I'll have some more of the wonderful D.F.Moss [we all call him Flapjack] miniatures up for everyone to see. And maybe we can even coax old Flapjack into posting.

Gleemax Jr

Post by Gleemax Jr »

what is that thing with the wings?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That model looks like a conversion of two Reaper figs. Do the wings come from the succubus figure.
As always, nice work.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

The "thing" is Thomas, my final 3.x fantasy character. He was twinked to the nines, can you tell? The only normal thing about him was his name. The DM let me throw all kinds of things into the mix. Basically, what I was going after was Batman. First off, Raptoran but with Draconic Heritage [Silver Dragon]; Sorcerer/Paladin; every Feat was of Draconic derivation; weapons with Reach; etc etc etc.

At second level, his Jump skill modifier was +17, and he could glide 40 feet. Good times, good times.
Omote wrote:
That model looks like a conversion of two Reaper figs. Do the wings come from the succubus figure?

Yep. You nailed it.

Davaris

Post by Davaris »

Harry,

I just took delivery of some brushes and oils and am going to start painting a borrowed Uruk-Hai warrior for my first effort. If its not too ugly I'll post it here.
BTW can I ask what range those figures in your pictures came from?

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

I believe they are mostly Reaper, with some Magnificent Egos in the mix. I really should keep the packages for reference.

Davaris

Post by Davaris »

Wow I didn't realise the guy with the sword and shield is a mod as well. He looks a lot better with the shield.
http://www.nobleknight.com/imagepage.as ... ter%20Mage

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

All but the first one are modded to some degree or another.

Meghan_Hetrick

Post by Meghan_Hetrick »

I think i tried my hand at painting miniatures .... once. and that was enough to have me convulse at the thought of doing it again, i think i went even MORE blind working on it o.O

Kudos to you, these pieces are gorgeous.

Davaris

Post by Davaris »

I just tiied painting a figure using oils and mucked it up due to the paint being wet and my brush accidentally touching a different colored part of the figure.

What I didn't know before I bought my oils is they take 5 days to dry unless you use a hotbox or a crock pot to dry them. So if you're impatient like me and can't wait hours for your model to dry before you paint other parts of it, it might be better to use acrylics.

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

All the following miniatures

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »

[img]http:/

[img]http://img.p

Harry Joy
Ulthal

Post by Harry Joy »