World of Lykarnia RPG by Big Iron Vault

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
angelius

World of Lykarnia RPG by Big Iron Vault

Post by angelius »

So I thought I'd continue the fashion trend - Thanks Jaybird for starting it! and start posting some preview images here from our new RPG that is in production as we speak.

You can learn more about our game at www.bigironvault.com or if you're on Twitter or Facebook just search for us!

All images here are copyright of Big Iron Vault and drawn by El Garing.

angelius

Post by angelius »

angelius

Post by angelius »

jaybird216
Lore Drake

Post by jaybird216 »

Superb, man.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Nice work!!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Fantastic stuff. Look forward to hearing more about this.
~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

angelius

Post by angelius »

Definitely - production value is important to me. I also promise to do a better job of editing (ha!) ... I have someone doing that for me so that I can concentrate on writing.

I want to put something out there that's of good value, in the price point of C&C when it first came out. I think if people try it they will love it.

It's not a rehash of D&D or some homebrew world, it's a completely different system and style... it's really something special I think -- of course coming from me, I'd have to say that wouldn't I?.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Definately some good stuff.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Outstanding!

When can we get more info about the game and setting hmmmm?

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the new BASH Forums!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

angelius

Post by angelius »

Here's a tidbit from the RPG (it's a 3 part mini-story that's strewn throughout the first few chapters of the book)
Tales from the Leaping Leprechaun

Part I

The tavern door swung wide open with a gigantic crash! The howling winds and relentless rain quickly filled the interior of the tavern with a biting cold. In the doorway, a woman hobbled in, sobbing with every step. Her clothes torn and tattered beyond recognition, Help me please. she sobbed.

With admirable quickness the men and the bar wench quickly ran to her aid. With a sniffle, the woman cried They took my Pascal! She was obviously the victim of a violent crime, her once beautiful face beaten beyond recognition. She quickly related her story to those in concern. Apparently she had gotten lost in Farken Woods and had been waylaid by a band of Grits. They had taken her young boy but not before they had a little fun with her.

What we have here? a large Vangarian questioned as he stood. He was much larger than any of the other men in the tavern by at least two heads. His wolf skin cloak barely enveloping his rippling muscles. Stranger yet was his companion, a stout fellow, no more than four and a half feet tall.

Is it so ard to tell Skullcrusher? It seems tis time for some Grit killing. sneered the Dwarf beneath his long white beard. Should we at least ask for a reward? the Vangarian asked

Part I

Whats the matter with yer? Are ye some kind of oaf? the Dwarf probes as it pokes the giant Vangarian in the ribs. Have ye no heart? Tis woman must be avenged!

The Vangarian stares at the Dwarf with fiery eyes, Only because were friends that I do not bite off your finger Thoraedyn. He starts to walk towards the growing mob around the sobbing woman. Come! If we are to avenge this woman, lets not waste any time. I have some potato skins to feast upon. as he waves towards the world famous potato skins from the Leaping Leprechaun that are slowly cooling in a white porcelain plate. Thoraedyn rolls his eyes as he picks up his great axe that was perched precariously against the table.

Skullcrusher scolds the mob as he approaches them Step aside you weasels and drop your pitch forks. Do you think you have a chance against a band of Grits? He yanks a pitch fork out of a farmers hand. Youll just get yourselves killed thats all. He stares down at the woman who has stopped crying. She looks up at him with big tear filled eyes. Tell me woman. Where are the Grits? Unsure if she should continue, she continues to stare blankly at the fearsome Vangarian. Best to tell im, well take care of it from ere. chimes in Thoraedyn.

South, south of Farmer Blinkys barn. They were herding his cattle back to their camp. pointed the woman. Thank you thats all we need. uttered Skullcrusher. Well bring you back their hearts.

Part III

The crunching twigs echoed throughout Farken Woods, only to be broken by a snide comment from Skullcrusher, Lets not make this a habit Thoraedyn. This sort of free work will force us to eat out of a pig sty one day. The Dwarf who has been struggling through the thick underbrush barely looks up at his Vangarian friend, Arent ye supposed to be on some kind a humility quest? Tis be a good step forward dont yer think?

Skullcrusha opened his mouth, about to reply, but his memories forced his mouth shut. It was almost three years ago that his father, chief of his tribe, exiled his only son to the real world as he called it, a world beyond Vangara, a world beyond the spoilt riches of his upbringing. Skullcrusha was to learn about suffering, an emotion he had not considered when he slayed his fathers servant because of a cold dish served at supper, leaving the servants family fatherless.

But suffering was a lesson he has seen numerous times in his adventures with his best friend Thoraedyn. On occasion he actually had the sense of justice swell beneath his muscular chest, but this was a feeling that he chose not to share with anyone, even Thoraedyn.

Halt. Skullcrusher whispered through his teeth. Ahead of our two heroes, a group of Grits were herding some cattle in a straight line. They were ugly little creatures with greenish grey skin. Some were even armed with spears. Individually they were no match for either Skullcrusher or Thoraedyn. But in a group their overwhelming numbers could prove fatal.

Plan A or plan B? asked Skullcrusher. In spite of their bickering, when push came to shove, Skullcrusher knew who had the brains in this adventuring party. Thoraedyn squinted his eyes. Plan A. With a broadening smile, Skullcrusher said I love Plan A. Its always a slaughter."

angelius

Post by angelius »

AslanC wrote:
Outstanding!

When can we get more info about the game and setting hmmmm?
Sure, spec wise:

- Will be 160 pages and should retail for a very very good price.

- It will be Print-On-Demand with options for hardcover or softcover.

- Will be filled with high quality art (as you can see)

- Will have introductory adventure and a list of 60+ creatures (a Players Handbook and "basic" Storyteller's Book in one)

- Summary charts for creature stats (I still can't believe most books don't have this.)

- It is currrently 80% complete with art being the remaining work.
World of Lykarnia has the following interesting points:

- It's really an amalgamation of some of the best rules, optional rules or just plain fun things I've seen in the last 20 years of RPing.

- It strives to reclaim the sense of adventure when we first discovered RPGs. Therefore, a lot of "setting" innuendos are left purposely ambiguous ready for "Storytellers" and players to fill in themselves. I want readers to imagine these locales, races or people.

- The rules are built on what we call the "Relativity System" and is based on d10. It is the only die needed for the whole game.

- Combat is somewhat tactical with an interesting flair. ie. Swords better at dealing wounds, Hammers etc. better at penetrating armour. Arcs and situational & environmental modifiers matter - but the rules are streamlined enough to finish battle in the same time that it would take someone to run a C&C battle.

- Combat can also be won through psychology not just whacking away at one's enemy.

- Magic is unpredictable, very fun, and risky. But can yield great results. ie. we have rules for Cataclysmic Failures and a whole bunch of extra stuff.

- It's a dark humour RPG built upon the concept that cliches are there for a reason and if used right can create a really fun experience.

- Character creation is fun. A player has control of stats etc. but has no control of his upbrining or his starting equipment (unless Storyteller wishes so then it can be selected).

Really, in one word it's just going to be "fun". We playtested all afternoon last week and we can't wait to just PLAY again. We've fixed a ton of "bugs" but the fun of it is overwhelming.

AslanC
Ulthal

Post by AslanC »

Well that sounds cool!
Love the artwork BTW, very high quality.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Visit the new BASH Forums!

=-=-=-=-=-=-=