Switch to full style
Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
Post a reply

The New Covers (PHB, M&T)

Fri May 01, 2009 3:43 am

I think that I may have posted my opinions of the new C&C covers in the wrong forum. So here they are again!
My reactions:

1. The dark green is rather unappealing.

2. The new M&T illustration looks cool!

3. Why the *$%@ is a 4e D&D Tiefling on the cover of the PHB? (Seriously, that seems insane. Why mimic the 4e covers when tieflings aren't even a playable race in C&C? I don't get it...) I much prefer the old PHB cover!

(All IMO, of course.)

For the record, I generally like Peter's art. His covers for the booklets in the CZ:UW box set are among my favourite FRPG illustrations in the last ten years. I just think that the cover of the PHB is, um, 'problematic' in conveying what C&C is about.

Fri May 01, 2009 2:51 pm

I like the green colors of the books a great deal. Overall the color choices for the art and the design are ideal. While I certainly like the artwork for both books, the PHB artwork does seem... um... I'm not sure, but it seems not exactly right for a PHB in my opinion. The M&T art I understand, but there is something not very representative of player characters in the new PHB piece.

However, as noted in the PHB4 thread in the above forum, there is a whole story behind the artwork used for the PHB4. And in a sense, that makes the chosen artwork quite cool.

-O

Fri May 01, 2009 5:54 pm

Plus the "green" is supposed to turn out brown/sand colored, is it not? Like I said in the other thread, I prefer the new color of the garish McDonalds red and gold colors they had before.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Fri May 01, 2009 10:37 pm

No the green is supposed to turn out green.

Peter Bradley

Fri May 01, 2009 10:42 pm

Putrid or forest?

Fri May 01, 2009 11:05 pm

serleran wrote:
Putrid or forest?

Yes.

Peter Bradley

Fri May 01, 2009 11:25 pm

Sweet. Just what I always wanted.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:56 am

Computer monitors are notorious for not repreenting print colors accurately, or so I'm told by those wiht a clue.

Peter?

I'm not sure I care much about the covers as long as the books have peter's art of women in them.

Sat May 02, 2009 12:59 am

Relaxo wrote:
Computer monitors are notorious for not repreenting print colors accurately, or so I'm told by those wiht a clue.

Peter?

I'm not sure I care much about the covers as long as the books have peter's art of women in them.

The covers are supposed to be a kind of leaf or olive greenish. And ya, different monitors will show up the colours in odd ways. It takes me forever to calibrate monitor colours to my printer.

Peter Bradley
Post a reply