View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:24 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Peter's Style 
Mist Elf

Post Peter's Style
Just wondering what medium Mr Bradley uses for the interior art of the C&C handbooks? I love the seamless mix of soft shading with well-defined lines. It looks a bit pencil... a lot watercolour.. I'm not sure as I've never used anything but pens and pencils on paper so my artistic savvy is non-existant.

I'll cut this short before I get all giddy and start gushing about Peter's work and embarrassing myself!

Kris

Wed Sep 20, 2006 11:14 am
Maukling

Post Re: Peter's Style
Its pencil. The trick is to blend the pencil with a stiff bristled brush. One also should use the #1 weight 100% rag cold pressed illustration board.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:06 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

Just pencil?

Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:35 pm
Mogrl

My daughter uses just pencil with blending tools. She is far from Peters level of skill, but blending techniques really help make things look way better.

If you've never used blending tools before Staples carries them in the same section they have all the "professional art grade paper" at. Well, at least my Staples does.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:07 pm
Maukling

One thing I have learned over the years is this. As a general rule of thumb, the more clever stuff they come out with in the 'arts' world, the more I find that the 'simple' things work best.

Alll those blenders and such?

I can get the same effect with a pack of cheapie yellow pencils and a wet brush as I can with all the prisma blenders, smudge tools, and what not out there.

Not saying that I havent found the odd neat trick out there, but I find that the newer stuff just doesnt work as well as relatively less expensive items that have been available longer.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:29 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

hehe! I'm starting to wish I'd paid more attention in High School Art!! All of this is new to me and I've been sketching away since I was 10. I think that, because drawing was just something I did at school or at work to fill in time, I've never implemented any technique aside from pen and pencil. I'd sometimes smudge with my finger though... I feel like a neanderthal now!

This morning I got out my old miniatures brush collection and tried shading some pencil sketches with them. Soft brushes made it tricky, but I can definitely see how awesome this technique is! I love it! The result was very crude but I'm hoping to get better at it.

Thanks SO much, Peter!

Kris

Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:56 pm
Mist Elf

I agree, Peter's art is one of the reasons I have gotten back into Rpg's after all this time. Keep up the great work Peter!!!!

Later

Thu Sep 21, 2006 1:45 am
Mogrl

My daughter only likes to use two of the tools out of the "kit", and prior to that she did do ti the "cheap way". Still does if that is what is within reach and easier to ind.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:20 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]