View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
Some art thoughts in general. 
Maukling

Post Some art thoughts in general.
Something I've noticed about when artists in general start experimenting with Photoshop or other graphics programs. It seems to me, and I've done this so I know, that we forget our basic art practices when approaching a colour piece.

Remember, photoshop does have a layers function. So you can still take your initial line drawing and put it on one layer, and slowly build colour on top in other layers. Much the same way one would approach working on a watercolour, or oil painting, or acrylic.

It avoids that smudged with a wet sponge look, or have the picture look like a cut out, that is characteristic of initial experiments with computer graphics.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:28 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

Yes, but it may be that the artist is new to the program as well, and has to learn how to use layers to get the effect desired. It is not a matter of forgetting basics, necessarily, but of having to re-learn them in a new form.

Or, that is what I hear from some... I still prefer Paint. It does everything I could want to do, but I am a simple unskilled person, so that makes sense.

Thu Oct 29, 2009 6:36 pm
Unkbartig

Yeah, I do most of my stuff on photoshop, or artrage2, and there is a learning curve, especially with photoshop. I am just now starting to understand doing layers, varying the opacity of my layer or just the brush, and so on.

I actually do a lot of sketches on paper first still, sometimes just for layout and composition, and then scan it in. If it is a crappy sketch, then I just use it as a tracing layer, make it faint, and then do a cleaner version. Othertimes, it is pretty much finished before I scan it in, and just color it or touch it up somehow in PS.

I also study pics now, which i never did before, many of which are yours Pete! I zoom in until I can see or figure out how it was done, what brushes or technique was used, etc.

I am getting a little burned out on the tablet though, and I have been feeling the need to get fresh callgraphy pens, bristol, and a bottle of ink, and go to town for a while.

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:23 pm
Maukling

PIperdog wrote:
I am getting a little burned out on the tablet though, and I have been feeling the need to get fresh callgraphy pens, bristol, and a bottle of ink, and go to town for a while.

That I can relate too. Which is why I still try and do most of my initial drawing with pen and paper, then scan it in

There is sometimes an advantage to having a slightly 'grey' tone scan picture, with the paper texture with it.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Fri Oct 30, 2009 8:25 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]