Page 1 of 2

Some Jim Holloway old Artwork ...

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:11 pm
by ATOM
I started this post for people to stick any little known pieces from Jim Holloway.We have the other great thread for his new artwork.

_________________
ATOM's WEB Site
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:16 pm
by Omote
CARRION CRAWLER FOR THE EPIC WIN!!!

Good stuff. Thanks for posting.

~O
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:49 pm
by Relaxo
Second that for the carrion crawler... isn't that from one of the old old boxes?

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:11 pm
by Omote
Close, but I don't think it is. Could be wrong.

~O
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 10:41 pm
by jaybird216
It's probably from one of those Choose Your Own Adventure novels. My first recollection of Jim's work was Dungeon of Dread. I especially loved that drunken, forlorn baboon.


_________________
Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
Three-Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Thu Dec 03, 2009 11:15 pm
by Gladiator27
jaybird216 wrote:
It's probably from one of those Choose Your Own Adventure novels. My first recollection of Jim's work was Dungeon of Dread. I especially loved that drunken, forlorn baboon.





Dungeon of Dread was my first introduction to Jim's cool art, as well. Then I started seeing it everywhere! Dragon magazine, MM II and of course, TSR modules.

A couple of my favorites...

_________________
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:09 am
by Deogolf
jaybird216 wrote:
It's probably from one of those Choose Your Own Adventure novels. My first recollection of Jim's work was Dungeon of Dread. I especially loved that drunken, forlorn baboon.




For Jason:

_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:50 am
by Gladiator27
Looks like Jay at Con on the Cob after he's realised he's out of Jameson.
_________________
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 12:53 am
by gideon_thorne
Gladiator27 wrote:
Looks like Jay at Con on the Cob after he's realised he's out of Jameson.

"Why is the banana rum gone?"
_________________
"We'll go out through the kitchen!" Tanis Half-Elven

Peter Bradley

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 4:02 am
by jaybird216
Deogolf wrote:
For Jason:

Dad? Is that you?
_________________
Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
Three-Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 1:55 pm
by Gladiator27
Some of Jim's old Star Frontiers work...

_________________
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 3:01 pm
by Deogolf
jaybird216 wrote:
Dad? Is that you?

Well...there is a family resemblance there!!
_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:41 pm
by ATOM
Great artwork guys! Keep rooting out those old Holloway gems!
The Carrion Crawler above is actually from the 1989 b/w edition of the AD&D

Monsterous Compendium Volume one. Its pretty rare because T$R revamped

the Monsterous Manuals in colour very soon afterwards.I only discovered the

original b/w Holloway illustrated volume one and two earlier this year.

A Cave Fisher from the same Compendium.

_________________
ATOM's WEB Site
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 8:27 pm
by jaybird216
Neat! Thanks for the background, Andy.

(Deo, that baboon was way more hair on his head than I do)
_________________
Jason Braun
Art Monkey for Hire
Three-Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:36 pm
by Gladiator27
jaybird216 wrote:
Neat! Thanks for the background, Andy.

(Deo, that baboon was way more hair on his head than I do)

Yeah, but you beat him in the "who's got more hair on their butt" department.

SO! Who wants to room with me and Jay next year at Con on the Cob?
_________________
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:51 pm
by Deogolf
Gladiator27 wrote:
Yeah, but you beat him in the "who's got more hair on their butt" department.

SO! Who wants to room with me and Jay next year at Con on the Cob?

Boy, that's an offer I just can't refuse!!
_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 9:53 pm
by Deogolf
ATOM wrote:
Great artwork guys! Keep rooting out those old Holloway gems!
The Carrion Crawler above is actually from the 1989 b/w edition of the AD&D

Monsterous Compendium Volume one. Its pretty rare because T$R revamped

the Monsterous Manuals in colour very soon afterwards.I only discovered the

original b/w Holloway illustrated volume one and two earlier this year.

A Cave Fisher from the same Compendium.

That's one project I haven't gotten to yet! Lots of Jim's b/w artwork in there! I just finished dismantling a MMII for some decent scans. I guess I could drop a few of those on here!
_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 10:15 pm
by gideon_thorne
Deogolf wrote:
That's one project I haven't gotten to yet! Lots of Jim's b/w artwork in there! I just finished dismantling a MMII for some decent scans. I guess I could drop a few of those on here!

Some of us are still waiting on an art book. I'd buy one. ^_~`
_________________
"We'll go out through the kitchen!" Tanis Half-Elven

Peter Bradley

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:30 am
by Gladiator27
gideon_thorne wrote:
Some of us are still waiting on an art book. I'd buy one. ^_~`

Not to mention some poster size prints of some of his past paintings. Elmore's making a fortune off of his at cons and on his website. Jim could do the same.

I know Jim's a bit of a recluse, but he's got FANS dammit'!
_________________
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:56 am
by ATOM
Yes! We want an Art book Jim! In fact we demand one right now!
I have a Jim Holloway Art folder on my puter, I'm constantly adding to the

Hollowayesque goodness.
_________________
ATOM's WEB Site
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:15 pm
by Deogolf
gideon_thorne wrote:
Some of us are still waiting on an art book. I'd buy one. ^_~`

It hasn't been forgotten!!
_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:28 pm
by Deogolf
Some of his MMII illos:

_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:38 pm
by Lurker
ATOM wrote:
Yes! We want an Art book Jim! In fact we demand one right now!
I have a Jim Holloway Art folder on my puter, I'm constantly adding to the

Hollowayesque goodness.

Me too!
_________________
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:45 pm
by Gladiator27
This is, for whatever reason...(I don't know why, it's one of those things I can't put my brain around to explain) one of my favorite JH pieces ever done. Without question Jim's version of Bael is my favorite of the demons/devils that he did for the MMII, with Amon coming in a close second.

If Jim still had his original Bael piece and put it up for sale, she'd be mine.
_________________
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:12 pm
by ATOM
Jim's original vision and artistic ability,

to create those Iconic images of the definitive AD&D Creatures,

is one of the main factors that led me to the game originally.

For me the Artwork is the game.

_________________
ATOM's WEB Site
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Sun Dec 20, 2009 11:48 am
by ATOM
Speaking of Jim Holloway, I just recieved this lovely A3 colour piece today.

It's an interior from Dragon #227.

Thank's Deogolf, its a really fine example of Jim Holloway's art.

I posted this on Dragonsfoot too, but who wouldn't want to show this nice colour piece off? Very happy!
_________________
ATOM's WEB Site
Three Headed Troll Art Wurks

Posted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 6:35 pm
by Deogolf
His last drawing of 2009!!

Drider and Hobbits!!

_________________
Eulaliaaa!!! Give those rapscallions blood and vinegar, wot?!

Be sure to check out Jim's artwork for sale:
http://jimhollowayart.com/id5.html

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:47 am
by Lurker
As I'm a hobbit fan, I love it!
_________________
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 4:06 am
by Omote
I'm going to say that that pic is burly.

~O
_________________
> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <
Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society

Posted: Sun Jan 03, 2010 6:37 pm
by K2h2m3
What's up with the "L1~09" on the rock? I assume the 09 refers to the year it was completed on but what about the "L1"?