A few recent minis

Join Peter Bradley and other artists in discussions on art and presentation.
mgtremaine
Ulthal

A few recent minis

Post by mgtremaine »

Figured I'd post a few of the minis I've painted recently just to share, it's been too quite on this sub-board.
Wizard named Greymist

Roan vs Red Dragon [Sorry this one blows out the table]

Elven Paladin Male

Elven Paladin Female

-Mike

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

NICE!
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Nice work.

And a suggestion if I may. Practice using washes/inks. These fill in the crevices and really make a fig pop. Plus, for the little amount of work that washing/inking is, it makes the mini look like you put a whole lot more time into it.

Best,

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Omote wrote:
Nice work.

And a suggestion if I may. Practice using washes/inks. These fill in the crevices and really make a fig pop. Plus, for the little amount of work that washing/inking is, it makes the mini look like you put a whole lot more time into it.

Best,

~O

Word. I use Minwax Polyshade (Satin Walnut I think?) and this is like a magical elixir for doing shading on otherwise only decently-painted minis. I'm not very good at painting minis but I can get a much better end-product by adding polyshade at the end
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Breakdaddy »

Here is an example of a WoW: The Adventure Game plastic fig that I painted in about half an hour and then highlighted. I sealed/shaded it with minwax and this is the end result. Not bad for 40 minutes or so total effort from a noob at painting:
-Genghis Khan

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Very good!

I think I have that same dragon! I guess it's not a huge coincidence, but it sort of is, I guess.

Like others have said, experiment with washed and highlights to really take these to the next level. That said, make no mistake, these are really very good!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

mgtremaine
Ulthal

Post by mgtremaine »

I'll have to check out Minwax Polyshade.

I do actually wash and highlight but I think maybe the flash of the camera has washed out some of the contrast on these. I use Reaper Pro Paint and I generally paint all the main details in, wash with Black Ink + water [sometimes with brown] then drybrush with the base color mixed with some white OR a lighter shade if I own it. You can see the Green on the legs of on one and cloak have some contrast visible. Still it's possible I'm a little too light on the wash and should add less water to perhaps get some darker effect.

For sure I'm enjoying painting again after so many years, thanks for the feedback from all. Like I keep asking my son "how do you get better at something?" and he knows to answer "we practice, dad" ;P

-Mike

Egg of Coot
Hlobane Orc

Post by Egg of Coot »

Nicely done.

The Egg

PrimEvil Studios on Facebook. Be a fan.

PrimEvil Studios is on Facebook. Click here to become a fan.