Shrink wrapped Yggsburg

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
Dracyian
Unkbartig

Shrink wrapped Yggsburg

Post by Dracyian »

I just bought a shrink wrapped copy of Castle Zagyg: Yggsburg

My question is, if it comes shrink wrapped do I open it and all its glory or buy a second version and leave the shrinkwrapped version still in the wrappings. But I don't know if I can wait till I can find another copy for a price I'm willing to pay

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Shrink wrapped Yggsburg

Post by Rigon »

In my opinion, books are meant to be read.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Rigon wrote:In my opinion, books are meant to be read.

R-
Very true, I guess part of me wants to keep it protected from the big bad evil world, like an over protective shotgun toting dad of a teenage daughter

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I say open it. I never understood the idea of having something like a book or comic collection and never reading the goodness inside.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I say leave it in the shrink! I have seen Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh go for as low as $10.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Omote wrote:I say leave it in the shrink! I have seen Castle Zagyg: Yggsburgh go for as low as $10.

~O
I'll echo Omote. You should only crack the shrink copy if you are unwilling to buy another one for use. Used copies are too easily and cheaply obtained to justify deshrinking yours. At a Lake Geneva Gaming Convention a number of years back (I think it was 2007), I saw Frank Mentzer run a group through his module To the Aid of Falx. He used a shrink-wrapped copy from his personal collection. He was quite amused (and shook his head a little bit) at my horror watching him deshrink it. To put it in perspective, there is a shrink copy of that module on eBay today with a $250 bid and 3 days to go on the auction. I'm all for actually using my toys, but damn! Back then, you could legally download a scanned copy for $4 (admittedly, the scan quality was mediocre, but it was functional).
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Damn. During the heyday of Falx, they were routinely selling for $500+ dollars. I sold my shitty copy for $435! Ah, back in the day. ;)

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Books are meant to be read. Open the book and enjoy it.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Ok I either misread the ebay auction or he changed it before it closed but it wasn't Shrink wrapped so I opened it up.
Now I'm new to C&C and D&D. This is the first piece of Gary's work that I have held in my own personal hands, I have a boxed Greyhawk setting somewhere around here from when my dad was in High School, not sure what version, ok I have to stop digressing. I opened it up and between the book and the map I think i'm dead. This is just so amazing, such a wonderful piece of work I'm flabbergasted at the amount of work and detail there is in this volume, and so glad I decided to purchase it, I can't wait till I can afford to chase a copy of the Upper works down, also can't wait till Gary's wife either lets someone use the Castle Zagyg license or just outright gives/sells/wills it to someone else of worth to carry the torch of this priceless tome of gaming gold

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Find a copy of the East Mark folio too while you are at it. Also, there were 4 printed sections of Yggsburgh printed and one available as a download. You need to get those to to make your Yggsburgh/East Mark campaign setting complete.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yes, the printed expansions are well worth having in addition to the main book.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

And don't forget to get Yggsburgh errata sheet.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Unfortunately I have pretty much spent most of my gaming budget for this month, so I'll have to wait to go looking, because if I go looking now, I'll be eating ramen for the next two weeks lol. Thank you guys want to get everything that I can, I know the CK for my weekend game has I think most of it already and said he loves it. So I can't wait to get my hands on the rest of it

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Jordan - at next game remind me - I have the out-of-print PDF of the "Outs Inn" supplement for Yggsburgh on my computer.
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com