For the love of Gygax (East Corner PDF?)

A place to discuss out-of-print or discontinued TLG products.
tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Re: For the love of Gygax (East Corner PDF?)

Post by tylermo »

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

gideon_thorne wrote:This much I know. No one can, or would, offer a better deal than TLG offered. Problem is, some folks seem to have the silly idea that they can 'go it alone' these days. Not in the current state of the industry. Name recognition isn't as strong as it used to be, even Gary's. Gary certainly knew that.
Yet when companies (Not talking about TLG) buy up game brands and turn them into something comeletely different regardless of fan feedback, it is very tempting to want to go it alone.
TSR morphed Gary's creation.
We all know what happened to WHFRP and D&D.

Yes, its hard to go it alone but when companies release games and then don't support them, (DW thread comes to mind) it gives folks little choice. I would like to see a support line for Harvesters but once the company owns the rights they call the shots. The company may not share the same priority as the game designer.
Gary was an exception as his stuff is considered "holy grail" stuff and valuable to collectors. And I think your right, the longer it sits the less interest will be there.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

Joe wrote:
gideon_thorne wrote:This much I know. No one can, or would, offer a better deal than TLG offered. Problem is, some folks seem to have the silly idea that they can 'go it alone' these days. Not in the current state of the industry. Name recognition isn't as strong as it used to be, even Gary's. Gary certainly knew that.
Yet when companies (Not talking about TLG) buy up game brands and turn them into something comeletely different regardless of fan feedback, it is very tempting to want to go it alone.
TSR morphed Gary's creation.
We all know what happened to WHFRP and D&D.

Yes, its hard to go it alone but when companies release games and then don't support them, (DW thread comes to mind) it gives folks little choice. I would like to see a support line for Harvesters but once the company owns the rights they call the shots. The company may not share the same priority as the game designer.
Gary was an exception as his stuff is considered "holy grail" stuff and valuable to collectors. And I think your right, the longer it sits the less interest will be there.
There's absolutely no comparison between whats going on with CZ and Harvesters.

Support for Harvesters is just a matter of time and resources. Much of said resources being taken up with the CKG. There are only so many hours in the day.

CZ, on the other hand, was all set to go, stuff was coming out for it, and for reasons both nonsensical and just plain foolish, it was yanked. There was and still is no logical business reason to have done so.
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

maggotchain
Henchman

Post by maggotchain »

Hi all. I just found this thread and I too am looking for the elusive East Corner document. If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

It's over there, in the east corner. :D

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Hope to see my good friend joxer 'round here sometime soon!

Where you at, bro??

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

joxer131
Mist Elf

Post by joxer131 »

Hi All,

RL world taking most of my time these days. Not much writing going on...my main goal initially was to answer Gary's call and get some work published with him. With the East Corner just making it to PDF and then killed off in that whole license mess, kind of knocked the wind out of the sails. With that motivation gone, and the fact that you can't even make beer money at this....

I've been playing in a weekly Pathfinder game with the old crew from high school...
The debt we owe to the play of imagination is incalculable....C Jung