Talisman: The Magical Quest (Revised 4th Edition)

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Talisman: The Magical Quest (Revised 4th Edition)

Post by TheMetal1 »

So, I've been thinking about this getting this game since the 3rd edition came out back in 2002/2003. Long story, but here it is 7 or 8 years later and I'm now ordering the 4th Edition by FFG - despite having yet to play it. Board Game Geek had some good things to say about, but figured I'd ask you all here if any of you played, what you thought about, etc.

For comparison, I've own and play Munchkin Quest every so often, but that is more of a build the board as you go, also a fan of Lord of the Rings board game by FFG. Anyway, thanks for you input.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Talisman: The Magical Quest (Revised 4th Edition)

Post by Go0gleplex »

Don't know how the new editions play...but I've got 2nd ed and have had a ball with it. When I had a good block of time to play and opponents that is. Sadly, it, along with many of my boardgames, is packed away in storage. :(
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

The original release of 4th edition is somewhat meh. The upgrade pack helps, but then ends playing almost identical to Talisman 2nd edition. Adding in some of the other expansions, like The Reaper, make things more interesting. I do not find that I enjoy the new version anywhere near as much as I do the older ones... but that may be because I have much more experience with them and know them far more intimately.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I like it. It's a lot like second edition. This is a good thing in my book. The components are better than in the past and the game is the Talisman you remember, but will probably last longer.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Thanks for the feedback. I did pick up all the expansions as well, but Buyers remorse was starting to kick in when some of it got back ordered. I enjoyed the 3rd edition game that I played and seeing the 2nd edition stuff on BGG made it that more inviting.
Go0gleplex wrote:Don't know how the new editions play...but I've got 2nd ed and have had a ball with it. When I had a good block of time to play and opponents that is. Sadly, it, along with many of my boardgames, is packed away in storage. :(

Yeah that is the challenge, so many games so little time to play - not to mention finding people to run a game with. I think collecting is part of the whole thing too for me, as it seems with several others here on the forums. Sure all we need is the PHB and M&T for C&C and we're good. But we 'need' to get each new printing as it comes out, and of course the digest size is must for the collection. And I can't just have one - as one must remain on the bookshelf to look at, and oh yes, I must have several books, in case someone in my gaming group forgets. Any of you heard those phrases or something close to it before? I know I have! :)
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Just played a massive 8-player Talisman (4.5 Edition) last night. The best version of the game is the version by Fantasy Flight Games (edition 4.5). It irons out many of the little loop-holes from Talisman 2nd edition. The artwork is not as cartoony as Talisman 3rd edition, so that is a plus IMO. Fantasy Flight Games is releasing a TON of expansions for their version of Talisman. I'd say a new expansion is available about every 6 months or so. The game is huge with all of the current expansions, but pretty fun to play. I like this version of Talisman best because, frankly, it DOESN'T have any of the feeling of the Eurogames of late. Man, am I getting tired of the Eurogame design philosophy. With Talisman, simply roll a d6 move that number of spaces and follow the directions on the card.

Talisman is the uber-awesome.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

That is great to hear. Looking forward to getting this game in and giving it a try. How do the expansion work out? Better than 2nd and 3rd? They look (at least the Highlands and Dungeon Expansion) gi-normus. If they do release a City and Forest, it looks like it will completely circumnaivgate the board quite nicely.

The question is...Will there be a Timescape?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

The Talisman Dungeon and Talisman Highland expansions are huge. Lots of cards and big boards for sure. In my opinion, these expansions are many times better then the 2nd edition versions. I'm sure FFG is planning more "big board" expansions. The small FFG expansions (The Reaper, The Sacred Pool, and another one I'm forgetting are simply card expansions, additional character cards, and rule clarifications).

I'm not sure what the new expansions will be, but I'm most hoping for a Talisman City expansion and a Talisman Dragons expansion.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

We've actually found that we enjoyed playing Talisman without the expansions. They seem to bog the game down with needless complexity and our experience has been that the games take anything up to an extra hour to play if you use the expansions.

Also a great house rule we've experimented with is to require characters to only trade in craft or strength trophies equal to or more than their CURRENT score in that attribute rather than the standard flat value of 7. This helps characters to buff up a bit quicker and prevents characters with 10+ strength walking around auto-killing dragons for free strength points. Try it in your next game.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Yeah, I know resurrecting a thread here, but wanted to know if anyone gotten and/or tried out the Dragon expansion for this Talisman.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

I have. Some of the playable characters are straight-up, broken. Er, should I say, very, very good. Overall, the cards are nice, but the complexity is a bit up there for Talisman. Plus, the game just got a bit tougher.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Can you include the new characters in a game of Vanilla Talisman or do you have play with the Dragon expansion in order to use the new characters?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

You absolutely can. You can add in all of the Adventure cards and use the new board section(s) without even playing by any of the Dragon Highlord rules.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Cool, will have to put on my to buy list then.

I played a game (just two people) of it over a couple of days. I was the Elf and the other person played the Prophetess. Other than a trial solo game, this was the first time I actually played a proper game of Tailsman since I got the game in several months ago. And I'm glad to report that victory was mine!

Game play kind of reminds me a bit of Munchkin - at least combat does, and of course a bit more serious. We spent most our time wandering around the outer later. Then it was a race to the next two layers and trying to get a Tailsman. Ended up being a battle for several rounds at the Crown of Command space between the two of us. A good game over all and I look forward to playing more.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

To join in on the Thread Necromancy fun, I decided to pull up Talisman. Lots of new things out for Talisman since the last posting. Including:

1. Talisman: Prologue - a digital single player version
2. Talisman Digital Edition - a very faithful digital version, with the Reaper expansion and new characters available in multiple platforms for phones, tabs and computers.
3. Blood Moon Expansion (Small box)
4. City Expansion (Big Box)
5. Firelands Expansion (Small box)
6. Nether Realms (Print on Demand)
7. Forest Expansion Announced.

While not Talisman, Relic and the Nemesis Expansion for Relic introduces us to a Talisman mechanic game set in the Warhammer 40K universe.

Thanks to the DE I've gotten in a lot of games. Glad to see Relic out and to see the Forest Expansion on the way. This completes the Corners.

So what do you will come next?

.....Timescape?
.....more Print on Demand?
.....Character Expansions?
.....big or small box?
.....Could we see a Relic/Tailsman crossover with Character sheets allow game play in either world with Timescape?
.....Will we see an Official Warhammer Fantasy Talisman?
.....What about the spaces left between the expansions?
.....Will it end and 5th Edition begin?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Recently bought the digital version myself.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

DE is well worth it, went for the Gold Pack to get all the DLC which includes the future expansions. It's on sale now over at Steam, a four-pack is $16.65 and a single copy is $5.55.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

I bought the digital steam version but havent played much yet. I really do prefer Relic to Talisman 4e but both games are tons of fun
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

So, got the Woodlands Expansion in yesterday! :mrgreen:

It is a "Big Box" expansion from FFG, but the Box is decidedly smaller then the other corners, other than that, the game board itself is tearing right out of the box :x . This is second time this happened to me. I had a problem with the city expansion, but FFG was prompt in sending me a replacement.

Every looks pretty cool and I'm glad to have the final corner!

I haven't played Talisman in a bit, but did get a game of the Digital Edition with the Reaper Expansion which was fun. The Dungeon Expansion is announced for DE and I'm awaiting it's release.

Anyone try a game yet of the Woodlands?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Been a few months since I posted, in this thread. Still periodically playing Talisman. Started a game with all 4 corner boards - two player but it puttered out. Did mess around in the Dungeon and in the Woodlands. Adds a lot more stuff and fiddly bits to the game, but was fun.

for Talisman DE, they've released the Dungeon Expansion. Just finished a two player game of that with a friend. It has a feature where you can save the game and just pick up where you left off. We've been playing it over the last couple of weeks and both of us had characters die. The Dungeon was really challenging at lower levels, but over all a fun game.

Looks like there is a new Print on Demand expansion for Talisman and it seems to connect the City and the Dungeon.

Anyone getting any Talisman playing in?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Not in a while now. I picked up the Woodlands expansion and quite like it. However, the whole Talisman experience is turning into 6+ hour affair. Not too many people I know can sit in one spot for that long, or has the constitution to stay interested for that long. While the Talisman board is quite massive now, and certainly looks cool, the set up and tear down are also about an hours worth of time. Cool game. Love it. But I simply don't have the time any more.

~O
VAE VICTUS!

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Just saw that The Highland Expansion for Talisman Digital Edition has hit the Steam Store (and now in my collection!!!!). Looking forward to this.

Additionally the new expansion for Talisman (POD) is called "The Deep Realms" and there is a new expansion coming as well for Relic (the 40K Talisman) called "Halls of Terra" (should be a side board to the main Relic game).
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Got in a game of Talisman (Digital) with the Highland and the Dungeon expansion. It was a live 2-player game with an additional AI opponent. We a connection problem once or twice, but reconnected very quickly and the game picked up right where it stopped.

Had on random players and hidden ending. The AI was surprisingly tenacious and played the Gypsy. My live opponent played the Alchemist and used his spells and alchemy to great effect and I started with the Genie, but died in the highlands. I restarted with the Druid. Coming from behind, I managed to claw my way to the inner region and crown of command. The hidden ending was the Battle Royal. The AI had a talisman but my live opponent did not (so he was killed). Tough fight with the AI, but I ended up winning.

Didn't delve in the dungeon too much, as it is pretty tough. The highlands though were great, as the addition of trinkets really help - they don't count against my limit of 4 things, but keep adding bonus to my player. I made it high enough to challenge the eagle king and win - earning a relic in the process and transporting me to the middle region. Overall a great expansion addition. The avalanche bolder card is great as it keeps rolling and clears out spaces.

Anyone else give it a try?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well, new small box expansion announced - The Harbinger

Here's the link: https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/n ... harbinger/

For the digital edition, it looks like the Sacred Pool is up next followed by the City.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So far I have only been keeping up with the digital version. My kids haven't been very enthusiastic about board games for over a year now, so I haven't been willing to pay for the physical copies, since it would be very unlikely I'd even get to play it here at home.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore wrote:So far I have only been keeping up with the digital version. My kids haven't been very enthusiastic about board games for over a year now, so I haven't been willing to pay for the physical copies, since it would be very unlikely I'd even get to play it here at home.
I rarely get my physical copy of Talisman out to play a game. I'm more of a collector with it, but have enjoyed it when I do play a face to face game. The DE is a very faithful reproduction of the game and then a good job of integrating the corners. I will say all the extra characters they've added and the house rules stuff is great as well. I do look forward to playing at some point on the DE version, a game with all the expansions. That should be pretty intense with the Harbringer, Death, and the Werewolf all wandering around the board, all four corners in play and tons of cards, but the best part will be no set-up or tear down!
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Picked up the Harbinger Expansion from one of my FLGS. Looks very cool, the sculpts, as always are great. Don't know when I'll get to play it, but will be sleeveing the cards this week.

Also of note, Nomad Games - Makers of the Digital Edition of Talisman - have released an update for the game, the Illusionist and the Shaman. What's cool about the Shaman is they had a contest for fans to create a Character for the DE Version of Talisman, with the winning Character released to support a UK Gamers' with disabilities charity called "Special Effects"

http://www.specialeffect.org.uk/

Here is the link to the Character pack (You need to buy Talisman DE to use it), and at least at the time of this writing it is Pay What You Want (with a minimum of $1.00).

http://nomadgames.co.uk/talismandeshaman/
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria