WOTC Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (Adventure System)

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
TheMetal1
Lore Drake

WOTC Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (Adventure System)

Post by TheMetal1 »

Well the 4th in the Adventure System Game series (a dungeon crawl board game by WOTC/Hasbro based on 4e Mechanics) is due out this year. The others are pretty fun and I am quite looking forward to this one. Here is the WOTC link:

http://dnd.wizards.com/products/tableto ... ental-evil

Here are some pics from the New York Toy Fair

Finally, here is the Dice Tower and Tom Vassal doing a video review of the game:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAczGeer-0g

Anyone else play the Adventure System?
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: WOTC Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game (Adventure Syst

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I actually enjoy the others, so have been planning on getting this as well.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Have the Ravenloft game, and never played it. Probably the same thing if I got this.... it'd look OK on the shelf, but remain unused. And that's sad for a game.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

serleran wrote:Have the Ravenloft game, and never played it. Probably the same thing if I got this.... it'd look OK on the shelf, but remain unused. And that's sad for a game.
But it does say "For 1 to 5 players," so you could try it out once.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

Thanks for posting, TheMetal1. While not a fan of 4e, I would be interested in this one, as I am a Greyhawk fan(atic) -- especially since it seems to be 4e light as a boardgame. I'll be adding it to my Amazon wishlist.
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

THIS is what they should have done from Day 1 and not tanked the D&D rpg line by trying to make 4.x into an RPG. Looks like fun.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Zudrak wrote:But it does say "For 1 to 5 players," so you could try it out once.
+1 on this. The Adventure system does play well Solo. You can play one, a few or all the PCs at the same time.

Zudrak wrote:Thanks for posting, TheMetal1. While not a fan of 4e, I would be interested in this one, as I am a Greyhawk fan(atic) -- especially since it seems to be 4e light as a boardgame.
Sadly IIRC ENworld when talking to some folks at WOTC/Wizkids stated, it is not "the" Temple of Elemental Evil, but "a" Temple of Elemental Evil. It's got cultists, gnolls, elementals (fire, air, earth, water) which is inline with original story. So won't know until I see the campaign book. Wished they would have made it "The TOEE" like Ravenloft, but what can you do.
Arduin wrote:THIS is what they should have done from Day 1 and not tanked the D&D rpg line by trying to make 4.x into an RPG. Looks like fun.
+1
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Game is in. Still have yet to remove the shrink-wrap, but it's on my (very long) to play list. Currently have Space Hulk occupying the game table now.
Box is the same size as the others in the series.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

We did finally get to play the Ravenloft game, maxed it out with 5 peoples. Decent enough. Decided to go ahead and buy the others because my wife beat me.

Have not tried the new one... but I want to give it a go. Might be more fun mixing and matching the sets.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

This is calling out to me. Does WOTC still offer the previous two games (Ravenloft and Legend)?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Tyler, I know I have seen both Wrath and Ravenloft still being offered on Amazon, but none of the expansion sets.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Expansion sets? I guess I had forgotten about those. If those are out of print, they'll be gouged for out-of-this world prices. I had forgotten about Wrath. I was thinking of Legend of Drizzt.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

If it helps, only the first two releases had expansion packs made for "them", even though they can all be used with any of them.

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Treebore wrote:If it helps, only the first two releases had expansion packs made for "them", even though they can all be used with any of them.
What? What? :o Ok, so this is news to me about actual expansion sets. Went to Board Game Geek and found promos and bonus adventures for the games, but no actual expansions. Here is the link to board game geek's entry on Castle Ravenloft Adventure System game. Look down under "Expansion"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/599 ... board-game

If you have a link or could elaborate on the expansion please do so! As a side note - the Dungeon Command Box Sets, do expand the game by providing an Adventure System Card for each Miniature in the box set.
tylermo wrote:This is calling out to me. Does WOTC still offer the previous two games (Ravenloft and Legend)?
Yes. If you scroll down at the link below to "Frequently Bought Together" you'll find this:

Price for all three: $152.83
Wizards of The Coast Wrath of Ashardalon: A D&D Boardgame $49.18
Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game $52.70
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game $50.95

http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-The-Coast ... 0786955708
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

TheMetal1 wrote:
Treebore wrote:If it helps, only the first two releases had expansion packs made for "them", even though they can all be used with any of them.
What? What? :o Ok, so this is news to me about actual expansion sets. Went to Board Game Geek and found promos and bonus adventures for the games, but no actual expansions. Here is the link to board game geek's entry on Castle Ravenloft Adventure System game. Look down under "Expansion"

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/599 ... board-game

If you have a link or could elaborate on the expansion please do so! As a side note - the Dungeon Command Box Sets, do expand the game by providing an Adventure System Card for each Miniature in the box set.
tylermo wrote:This is calling out to me. Does WOTC still offer the previous two games (Ravenloft and Legend)?
Yes. If you scroll down at the link below to "Frequently Bought Together" you'll find this:

Price for all three: $152.83
Wizards of The Coast Wrath of Ashardalon: A D&D Boardgame $49.18
Dungeons and Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game $52.70
Dungeons & Dragons: The Legend of Drizzt Board Game $50.95

http://www.amazon.com/Wizards-The-Coast ... 0786955708
Yeah, my fault. In my mind the Dungeon Command line are expansions for these board games. So I have been talking about the Dungeon Command miniatures series, that can be used with these board games, but are in no way official expansions.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There are 6 of them in the line, here is one to get anyone interested started on acquiring them...

http://smile.amazon.com/Dungeon-Command ... miniatures

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I remember seeing some of those sets.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

tylermo wrote:I remember seeing some of those sets.
Yep. I have all of them, and have used all of them to change up things with the Ravenloft board set. I don't recall if I used them with any of the others. If I have, it was most likely with the Wrath set.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Question:

How do y'all like the board for the game?

How are the terrain tiles?

Many thanks,

Rhu. :)
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Rhuvein wrote:Question:

Many thanks,

There not real "boards", you build the "board" as you go with the tiles. They look very nice, in my opinion.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Treebore wrote:
Rhuvein wrote:Question:

Many thanks,

There not real "boards", you build the "board" as you go with the tiles. They look very nice, in my opinion.
That sounds good. I have always like the tiles from the 3.5 D&D basic game and then later the DMs and the PHs basic games.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

TheMetal1
Lore Drake

Post by TheMetal1 »

Tiles work good, think stock, and the art is good. I haven't done it, but I think their interchangeable as well so you can make your own scenario. Or you can use them for dungeon crawling in a regular RPG game.
De Oppresso Liber
Pro Deo Et Patria

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

TheMetal1 wrote:Tiles work good, think stock, and the art is good. I haven't done it, but I think their interchangeable as well so you can make your own scenario. Or you can use them for dungeon crawling in a regular RPG game.
Right! That's what I liked about the earlier ones. Easily used to create quick dungeons! :)

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Had a chance to buy it last night, but passed for now.