Which Other Game do you Like to most?

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Which Other Game do you Like to most?

Post by REHowardfanatic »

There's already a great thread on which game we like least, and I'm assuming that many like Castles and Crusades the most or they wouldn't be here, so I am wondering what game do you like the most other than C&C?

For fantasy, I like Warhammer FRP 1st edition. Love the setting and the system is simple and fun. Plus, the character creation is my favorite. The only short comings I feel are the lack of versatility- it can only really play Warhammer- and the lack of decent spells at Petty level. As for fantasy RPGs, that's about it, besides AD&D 1st edition, of course. As an aside, I got WH1 in 1987 when I first saw it and still own it. It wasn't until this year that I found C&C and found a game that I felt equalled WH1 and AD&D 1. That's how highly I rate C&C!

I like the Star Wars D6 system by West End Games for science fiction, though I always have to house rule the Force rules to better fit the films. I like how it's so simple to expand. I've run Dune and Shadowrun using it and it always delivers a fast, cinematic experience.

For horror, when I used to play it, I always used Mayfair's Chill. I have Call of Cthulhu and like it, but I dislike the 1920's setting since I know too little of the era. Chill had a great, pulpy feel to it and was filled with memorable monsters.

For pretty much everything else, and reigning supreme as my favorite RPG of all time, is Mayfair's DC Heroes 3rd edition. I even wrote my own expanded sourcebook for this game. I love this game. I know a lot of people find it too complex, but I find it as simple as it gets.
Flaming is the alignment language of the internet.

If you like DC Heroes, come check out my blog:
http://mayfairexponentialrpg.blogspot.com/

Breakdaddy
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Which Other Game do you Like to most?

Post by Breakdaddy »

My favorite non C&C games are Savage Worlds and Dark Heresy. I also like WFRP 1st and 2nd edition. I actually like many more, but my limited gaming schedule really boils down to C&C and these two other games.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

While there is plenty I like, the other games I like most (and pley the most) is Basic Dungeons & Dragons and various Palladium titles. While there are a great many more that I love (WFRP2, Dark Heresy) I just don't get to play those very often at all. Sonsuhbi4ches.

~O
@-Duke Omote Landwehr, Holy Order of the FPQ ~ Prince of the Castles & Crusades Society-@
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Oh I didn't say I ever get to play... :lol:

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

I will likely be drawn and quartered at the Troll Lords' gates for saying this, but my primary campaign time is spent playing Pathfinder, coming from a 3e back-ground (since resuming my Fantasy RPG lifestyle, that is...I started with a Basic D&D set in '84). C&C is still a relatively new discovery for me. In fact, the whole world of OSR is still very new to me. It'll take time to convince my group to realize the error of 3e/Pathfinder's ways, and to embrace C&C.

I'll be introducing my youngest daughter to LL soon, since she is following in her dad's footsteps. Then I'll "advance" her to C&C as she learns the ropes.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

narpet
Red Cap

Post by narpet »

My favorite non C&C games are original D&D, Gamma World (all versions) and Tunnels & Trolls...

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

RPG...I think Star Wars d6 WEG, though Wardogs (my wargame) and Iron Stars are probably higher up on my list that SW is.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

What is Iron Stars?

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

REHowardfanatic wrote:What is Iron Stars?

http://www.mj12games.com/ironstars/
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

AGNKim
Lord High Inquisitor

Post by AGNKim »

Dark Heresy. But, unless I take one of my infrequent sojourns to Casa de Breakdaddy, I never play. :cry:

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Go0gleplex wrote:
REHowardfanatic wrote:What is Iron Stars?

http://www.mj12games.com/ironstars/

Looks like a great concept.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Shadowrun. Earthdawn. Toon. Chill. Call of Cthulhu. Hero Quest. Warhammer Quest. Warhammer Fantasy Role Play (1st edition). Advanced Dungeons and Dragons (1st edition). Gamma World. Probably hundreds others that I can't recall at this second.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I haven't gamed in over 5 years. But, if I could today, I'd love to tackle; Starblazer Adventures or; The Dresden Files rpg. Wouldn't mind taking C&C for a spin or even; A Game of Thrones rpg. (Seems I missed the big sale over at Green Ronin) I would've picked up the core ASoIaF at that price, even if it just sat on my shelf like the others.

Some day I'll even want to play OD&D. The freedom and simplicity is intriguing, that is for sure.

I like the direction chosen for; The One Ring and if not buried by the above, it is hard to justify adding even more games that I will probably never play.
  1. Fantasy - check
  2. Sci-Fi - Check
  3. Modern - check
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Sir Ironside wrote:I haven't gamed in over 5 years. But, if I could today, I'd love to tackle; Starblazer Adventures or; The Dresden Files rpg. Wouldn't mind taking C&C for a spin or even; A Game of Thrones rpg. (Seems I missed the big sale over at Green Ronin) I would've picked up the core ASoIaF at that price, even if it just sat on my shelf like the others.

Some day I'll even want to play OD&D. The freedom and simplicity is intriguing, that is for sure.

I like the direction chosen for; The War of the Rings and if not buried by the above, it is hard to justify adding even more games that I will probably never play.
Five years is just too long. Find a group, STAT. ;)
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

The list is too long, there are dozens I've played and liked and hundreds I haven't and want to, but right now I am again enjoying a few of the old TSR games; Star Frontiers, Metamorphosis Alpha, Top Secret.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

Drygur
Mist Elf

Post by Drygur »

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay (1st edition). It was the first RPG I ever played (back in the 80s) and I still love it. Dark and deadly :twisted:
Drygur - Minstrel Lord of The Dungeon Singers, Margrave of The Castles & Crusades Society

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

Glad to see there's another WH1 freak out there. I've loved that game since I saw all the goblin slaughter on the cover. I recently got Realms of Sorcery and Apocrypha Now for it. Those are great additions if you don't have them.

Oh, and to add a game I forgot: Pendragon 4th edition is balls out bad ass too. I still think I like C&C better, but all the Arthurian and courtly romance goodness has enriched almost every game I have run since getting the book.

huds0n
Red Cap

Post by huds0n »

Two more votes for Dark Heresy and WHFRP 2nd Ed. Plus, i always did have good times with 3.5. I know most folks here might not care for it, but i always had a good time playing it.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

So many to pick from. Other than C&C, my favorite RPG has to be the 1974 OD&D rules set.

I also love Amber Diceless (for the mechanic), 7th Sea (for the setting), DCC RPG (for the attitude) and lots of others.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

What is DCC?

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

REHowardfanatic wrote:What is DCC?
Dungeon Crawl Classics

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

REHowardfanatic wrote:There's already a great thread on which game we like least, and I'm assuming that many like Castles and Crusades the most or they wouldn't be here, so I am wondering what game do you like the most other than C&C?
You are correct that many like Castles & Crusades the most. I'm not one of them. Don't get me wrong. I like Castles & Crusades, and it is in my top five, but it's not number one. That honor belongs to...

1. Traveller (Classic or Mongoose). Gee, I bet you didn't see that one coming. :lol:

The rest of the top five.

2. Star Trek: The Role Playing Game (FASA)
3. Original Dungeons & Dragons
4. Castles & Crusades
5. DC Heroes RPG (Mayfair)

There are other games that I do like, but these are the top of the dog pile.

REHowardfanatic
Hlobane Orc

I like Traveller a lot as well. At one point I had all of the FFE reprints but had to sell them to pay the bills. Sigh. Mongoose's LBB Traveller is on my "if I ever find a decent job" want list.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

I stopped buying the BFBs after The Adventures. I had purchased The Short Adventures but since one adventure was totally mangled in it, I returned the book, because that was the point that care was taken out of the equation in producing the reprints.

As for MgT, I only have the core book, but went with the hardcover. Unlike the digest-sized book, it has the footnotes.

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

OD&D/BD&D
Lejendary Adventures
Metamorphosis Alpha
WHFRP
AD&D

:P
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

ArgoForg
Red Cap

Post by ArgoForg »

1. C&C (Durh)
2. AD&D (1st or 2nd. I don't dislike OD&D or BECMI, but I prefer race/class to race as class)
3. Advanced Marvel Super Heroes (Blue Box TSR)
4. DC Heroes
5. Pendragon/Ars Magica (Tie)

There are other games I like-- and for that matter, very few that I won't try-- but it's really hard nowadays for me to really put games such as M&M, Stargate SG-1, Chartmaster and Pathfinder at the top of the heap when it takes you over an hour just to make a character.
- "I just happen to prefer games where the GM actually has final say on rules and is not just the wall to roll dice off to decide what happens."

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Sir Ironside wrote:
REHowardfanatic wrote:What is DCC?
Dungeon Crawl Classics
Crud, I didn't even realize DCCRPG was out yet. Looks like another stop at Gen Con!

When I'm not playing C&C, I'm playing 3.5 D&D/Pathfinder, and Star Wars Saga Edition. Really thinking about getting a GURPS game going, though. ;)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Lord Dynel wrote:Crud, I didn't even realize DCCRPG was out yet. Looks like another stop at Gen Con!
I didn't realize that there was a new DC Comics rpg out again. But, it still falls under the, "Why bother to get it?"

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

The best system for Superheroes was released ages ago: DC Heroes. DC Adventures incorporates many ideas that first appeared in DC Heroes. This is not surprising since Ray Winninger wrote the second edition of DC Heroes, and has an author credit in DC Adventures. However, the rules are still as heavy as the parent d20 system, making them less than ideal for me.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

Traveller wrote:The best system for Superheroes was released ages ago: DC Heroes. DC Adventures incorporates many ideas that first appeared in DC Heroes. This is not surprising since Ray Winninger wrote the second edition of DC Heroes, and has an author credit in DC Adventures. However, the rules are still as heavy as the parent d20 system, making them less than ideal for me.
The current DC Comics rpg uses the Green Ronin d20 Mutants & Masterminds, I understand that the rules set for M&M are quite good. Like Conan rpg it took the D&D 3.5 rules set, cleaned it up, added a point by system and it is the flavour of choice for many people who s wish to play in a Super-hero type setting.

I have never tried the M&M rules set, but have widely heard good things about it. Based off of their T20 rules I guess there is merit to it as Green Ronin did the same as C&C by streamlining d20 and making it more accessible.

Still the whole d20 thing scared me off so I'm probably passing up a good rules set.