Myth & Magic (2e retro) Kickstarter

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Lord Dynel
Maukling

Myth & Magic (2e retro) Kickstarter

Post by Lord Dynel »

I'm not affiliated with these guys, but this game doesn't look half bad so I thought I might link ths here. Don't know if it's been done already, though.

Myth & Magic, the 2e retro-clone
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

redwullf
Ulthal

Re: Myth & Magic (2e retro) Kickstarter

Post by redwullf »

NHG posted this Kickstarter on 3/22 and not a backer yet, in 4 days. This is very disconcerting, since I've been tracking the progress of this game's development for months. I'm surprised no one has backed it yet, but not completely surprised. It bills itself as 2e redone, which is arguably the least popular version of D&D. Also, I think supporters didn't see the KickStarter coming as a solution for the final development, print, and release of the books - I know I was surprised.

Compare this project to, say, Goodman Games' DCC release. They, too, have been developing for a long time and providing play test versions (beta) for their supporters. But, their final product was a book ready to pre-order and launch. /shrug

Anyway, I'm interested in backing NHG somewhat, but given that it appears to be dead on arrival, I'm not sure if it's worth the clicking. In short, I'm not sure if I'm enthusiastic enough about a 2E re-do to push the project.

Sad.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

redwullf wrote:NHG posted this Kickstarter on 3/22 and not a backer yet, in 4 days. This is very disconcerting, since I've been tracking the progress of this game's development for months. I'm surprised no one has backed it yet, but not completely surprised. It bills itself as 2e redone, which is arguably the least popular version of D&D. Also, I think supporters didn't see the KickStarter coming as a solution for the final development, print, and release of the books - I know I was surprised.

Compare this project to, say, Goodman Games' DCC release. They, too, have been developing for a long time and providing play test versions (beta) for their supporters. But, their final product was a book ready to pre-order and launch. /shrug

Anyway, I'm interested in backing NHG somewhat, but given that it appears to be dead on arrival, I'm not sure if it's worth the clicking. In short, I'm not sure if I'm enthusiastic enough about a 2E re-do to push the project.

Sad.
I'm curious as to why this project is even needed. 2e core books seem very available to me, in both used book stores and game shops, at least here in Portland, and certainly thru on-line sources. What is the big need for a 2e clone?

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

not one backer? wow.
I'm not following it closely, but when they started using 3e saves I was like, hmmm.... not so much 2e now, is it?
IN all fairness, i havn't read the beta rules closely, but as a C&C player, I don't see the need to buy it; that's just me.

edit: I just looked: the KS isn't live yet, so can't judge it as not backed since it's not taking bakers yet.

(phew!)

For some reason, I want this to succeed, even though I'll probably never buy or play it.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

Relaxo wrote:not one backer? wow.
I'm not following it closely, but when they started using 3e saves I was like, hmmm.... not so much 2e now, is it?
IN all fairness, i havn't read the beta rules closely, but as a C&C player, I don't see the need to buy it; that's just me.

edit: I just looked: the KS isn't live yet, so can't judge it as not backed since it's not taking bakers yet.

(phew!)

For some reason, I want this to succeed, even though I'll probably never buy or play it.
I agree - I *also* want them to succeed in the same way I want any OSR publisher to succeed. Having said that, they're taking an interesting approach, but not a radical departure from 2e. I'd call it 2.5e for lack of anything else, as it seems to exist somewhere half-way between 2e and 3e, mechanically.

Dungeon Crawl Classics was very compelling until I learned they're using Zocchi dice. I'm not sure that you can really spin your product as something which captures the old school experience by nearly doubling the number of required dice - dice that did not exist in the 70's and 80's. This is a bit of a bummer, since some of the other mechanics of DCC are very interesting, such as the degrees of spell success.

dunbruha
Ulthal

Post by dunbruha »

redwullf wrote:Dungeon Crawl Classics was very compelling until I learned they're using Zocchi dice. I'm not sure that you can really spin your product as something which captures the old school experience by nearly doubling the number of required dice - dice that did not exist in the 70's and 80's. This is a bit of a bummer, since some of the other mechanics of DCC are very interesting, such as the degrees of spell success.
Don't get too hung up on the dice--any result can be obtained using the "regular 7". It looks like a very cool game.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

dunbruha wrote:Don't get too hung up on the dice--any result can be obtained using the "regular 7". It looks like a very cool game.
I'd say that's true for only a few of the zocchi dice (like d3 and d5, which you can obtain by halving a d6 or d10 roll). But, what about: d7, d14, d16, d24, and d30? It's not clear to me how you can use the "regular" 7 to roll a d7, or d14... Not without a table, at least.

EDIT: It looks like this debate has already run its course nearly a year ago. /shrug

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

I love goodman games, but i agree that requiring funky dice in their new system is a little silly.

More on topic: I tool a look at the Myth and Magic stuff, and I have to say I kinda like it. I may even throw some money at them. I have a mushy soft spot for 2nd Ed.

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

scp wrote:I love goodman games, but i agree that requiring funky dice in their new system is a little silly.

More on topic: I tool a look at the Myth and Magic stuff, and I have to say I kinda like it. I may even throw some money at them. I have a mushy soft spot for 2nd Ed.
Agreed. I particularly like the notion that spells have varying degrees of success. Really puts one hell of a spin on the reliability of magic. I'm reminded of the Presto the Magician on the D&D cartoon - you never knew what he was going to pull out of his hat (but it often ended being useful to the situation).

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

Haha... Presto... This made me think of this video I saw recently. (You're welcome)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Wonder why this isn't live yet?

EDIT: Looks like the Kickstarter page vanished.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Links to "starter" versions of the core books are free at DriveThruRPG:

Myth & Magic Player's Starter Guide

Myth & Magic Game Master's Starter Guide

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

Some background on why the Kickstarter page seemed to disappear (from http://www.newhavengames.com/?page_id=6 ... er/page-3/ )

"I'm still awaiting final approval by Kickstarter. A few posters on other websites caught wind of the preview page I sent to the members. When they visited, and saw 0 backers, thought we hadn't one supporter and started to analyze and rationalize why it wasn't being funded!
So, I stopped allowing access to the preview page.
I'll email everyone and post on the boards when the Kickstarter is live. I submitted it on the 26th. Kickstarter says it only takes a few days to look it all over."

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

scp wrote:Haha... Presto... This made me think of this video I saw recently. (You're welcome)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z3FZnD21iO0
OK, THAT was funny. :lol:

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

scp wrote:Some background on why the Kickstarter page seemed to disappear (from http://www.newhavengames.com/?page_id=6 ... er/page-3/ )

"I'm still awaiting final approval by Kickstarter. A few posters on other websites caught wind of the preview page I sent to the members. When they visited, and saw 0 backers, thought we hadn't one supporter and started to analyze and rationalize why it wasn't being funded!
So, I stopped allowing access to the preview page.
I'll email everyone and post on the boards when the Kickstarter is live. I submitted it on the 26th. Kickstarter says it only takes a few days to look it all over."
Well there you have it, mystery solved. Now we just wait and wonder if we're going to back the project. At least, that's what I'll be wondering. Still not too giddy about the extra dice. :|

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

The new Goodman Games (DCC RPG) is the one with the funky dice. Myth and Magic looks to be more sane :)

MormonYoYoMan
Ulthal

Post by MormonYoYoMan »

Does it HAVE to be sane? :(
-
*jeep! & God Bless!
--Grandpa Chet
"Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, Religion and Morality are indispensable supports." - George Washington.

Birthright
Hlobane Orc

Post by Birthright »

The Kickstarter linked to back on the 23rd was only a preview - it wasn't open to backers yet - hence there were no backers for several days. NHG noticed the negative feedback this had produced and took it down.

It IS live now though, so check it out.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Beat me to it, I was going to say the Kickstarter is now live.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

scp wrote:The new Goodman Games (DCC RPG) is the one with the funky dice. Myth and Magic looks to be more sane :)
You're right, of course. I'm now confusing my OSR-esque products. We should add the imminent Delving Deeper from Brave Halfling into the mix, spice up the confusion a bit.

scp
Ungern

Post by scp »

Even if I don't end up playing a game of this, I will definitely toy with the idea of adding the crit system to my game:

If someone rolls a Natural 20, you roll an additional d6 and add a secondary effect:

1 - Right Arm: -1 to attack rolls
2 - Left Arm: -1 to attack rolls
3 - Right leg: -1 to AC and an initiative penalty of 1
4 - Left leg: -1 to AC and an initiative penalty of 1
5 - Stomach: initiative penalty of 4
6 - Head: -1 to attack, -1 AC, initiative penalty of 1

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

For those of you that haven't been part of, or keeping up with, the Myth & Magic kickstarter, this thing is tanking like the Titanic. The player's guide funded over a year ago (May 7th) and is now 9 months past due for its backers (myself included). The author keeps going radio-silent, sometimes for months at a stretch, then occasionally reappears and makes half-hearted apologies laden with excuses about day-jobs and what-not. Go check it out on Kickstarter to watch this turd circle the bowl.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Glad I didn't back it.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.