Dragon age on tabletop

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
mordrene
Ulthal

Dragon age on tabletop

Post by mordrene »

http://tabletop.geekandsundry.com/

wil wheaton and teh gang play teh dragon age rpg on tabletop. check it out.

Dungeoneer
Mist Elf

Re: Dragon age on tabletop

Post by Dungeoneer »

I really enjoyed this. I'd love to see this be a continuing campaign.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I played DA with a group for about 6 weeks, I was not impressed with it enough to want to play again. I enjoyed the adventure, though.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Dungeoneer
Mist Elf

Post by Dungeoneer »

System itself seems a bit too shallow for me, but I like the interaction going on. "Rock armor!" part was hilarious to me, but mayhap I'm easily amused! :)

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Treebore wrote:I played DA with a group for about 6 weeks, I was not impressed with it enough to want to play again. I enjoyed the adventure, though.

Hey, Tree (and Dungeoneer, too), mind going into specifics a little bit? What was it you didn't like? I have both boxes on my shelf, and have looked over them numerous times. I've been considering giving the game a session or two at the table and was intrigued by your comments (both of you guys). I'd love to hear a few details if you have a mind to share. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Well, its been close to two years since I played. Heck, maybe its been over two years. Anyways, all I can tell you at this point is I was not impressed with the mechanics. I don't remember even vaguely as to why. I did enjoy the adventure, which I think was part of the first boxed set. I don't recall thinking the mechanics were bad, I think I just thought there were systems I liked better. Much better. So not only did I not desire to play more, I didn't even buy the second boxed set.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Dungeoneer
Mist Elf

Post by Dungeoneer »

I don't own it, I'll admit that up front nor have I played it, but I pieced together the rules and layout when it first came about. Like Treebore, I don't think the system is bad, but it seems very one dimensional to me, a one trick pony if you will. I feel like the system would be great if you enjoy Dragon Age, but otherwise it doesn't have much to offer. Of course you can homebrew, and add more depth to it, but why would I do that when I can play C&C, or D&DN for that matter and cut out a lot of work. I might be completely off base, as I don't have as much a right to talk as those who own it and have played it, but that's what I get from it.

The only interesting thing about the system to me is the stunt die mechanic. I thought I might be able to bring that over into C&C, and I might be submitting an article to Domesday along those lines for the next issue.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I am actually a big fan of DA Origins and all its add ons. Played through them several times, and am thinking of doing it again.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Treebore wrote:I am actually a big fan of DA Origins and all its add ons. Played through them several times, and am thinking of doing it again.
I really wanted to like DA - I'm a big fan of Bioware, and Mass Effect is my favorite vg series ever - but I had a lot of trouble with it. I think maybe I was just doing something wrong - I kept getting my butt kicked, and it was very frustrating. I wonder if I was going to areas or taking quests that I just wasn't ready for. If I try it again, I'd definitely want some advice about a good way to work through the game, and maybe some character building tips as well.

Dungeoneer
Mist Elf

Post by Dungeoneer »

Treebore wrote:I am actually a big fan of DA Origins and all its add ons. Played through them several times, and am thinking of doing it again.
I like Dragon Age as well, I guess I came across that I didn't. I just think the RPG itself can't do much else easily besides being a vehicle for Dragon Age.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

kreider204 wrote:
I really wanted to like DA - I'm a big fan of Bioware, and Mass Effect is my favorite vg series ever - but I had a lot of trouble with it. I think maybe I was just doing something wrong - I kept getting my butt kicked, and it was very frustrating. I wonder if I was going to areas or taking quests that I just wasn't ready for. If I try it again, I'd definitely want some advice about a good way to work through the game, and maybe some character building tips as well.
Do the dwarf noble first, it is the best "hand holding" story line that is pretty clear as to where you need to go next. Plus there are good on line resources to get guidance from. Think one of them is even a wiki. ITs also important to read the journals. Not all of them, a lot are simply setting history, and are good for adding depth/background to the over all story, but a few dozen are pretty important to figuring out where to go next in game.

kreider204
Unkbartig

Post by kreider204 »

Treebore wrote:
kreider204 wrote: Do the dwarf noble first, it is the best "hand holding" story line that is pretty clear as to where you need to go next. Plus there are good on line resources to get guidance from. Think one of them is even a wiki. ITs also important to read the journals. Not all of them, a lot are simply setting history, and are good for adding depth/background to the over all story, but a few dozen are pretty important to figuring out where to go next in game.
Groovy, thanks!

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

I played Dragon Age for about 7 games. It was a blast! I normally DM everything so any chance to actually play is normally a blast!

Dragon Age is a good system that starts out simple and easy and the deeper you go layers of more complicated stuff is added.

The game starts with only three class's for instance. At like 6th level those three split into about nine,even higher it splits into more. Kinda like old D&D used to....in order to be a Paladin you need to be a higher level Fighter ect..

The combat system takes some getting used to.

It's not so much a "I try and disarm the badguy system" as much as it is a "Wow! I rolled good! I can disarm the badguy if I want!"

It's fun but some people not used to it have a hard time with it.

I think if they cleaned it up and cut out all the Dragon Age Video game/world setting(not a fan) from it AND placed it all in one hardback book I would buy it.

As it stands now, I had fun playing it but wouldn't run it.

Breakdaddy
The Castle Keeper

Post by Breakdaddy »

On the PC games: DA: Origins was one of the best CRPGs ever IMO. Awesome, awesome game. Dragon Age 2 was.... the opposite of awesome for me. Sadly, this colored my interpretation of the tabletop RPG and I never gave it a real shot.
"If you had not committed great sins, God would not have sent a punishment like me upon you."
-Genghis Khan

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Interesting observations...thanks!

I'm thinking of doing a one-shot. We've gotten sidetracked with Edge of the Empire (a pretty fantastic game, IMHO), and when that wraps up it'll be my C&C campaign. Somewhere in there I'd like to do a session or two of DA to see it in action.

Yeah, GameOgre, the stunt system is pretty interesting. And I'm all for a generic AGE system Core Book. I think it's been hinted at, but I don't know if it'll go or not. Green Ronin is really slow in regards to AGE releases (or maybe it's on Bioware's end?). I know there's another AGE project after DA runs its course, though.
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Lord Dynel wrote:We've gotten sidetracked with Edge of the Empire (a pretty fantastic game, IMHO),
please thread drift with me here: posting.php?mode=post&f=16
:D

I still have to watch all of this ep, but so far, I love Fonzor! HA!

There's always one in every crowd... like the time I tried to DM for "Elfis" ... ugh. SO not the tone i wanted, but you gotta (wait for it) roll with it.

:roll:
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

The new Midgard campaign books that are coming out have buth pathfinder and age stats. As far as game play goes. i've ran a few sessions and i really like it. it feels very old school and easy to pick up. there is a free quickstart if anyone is interested.
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/product/9 ... _44364_0_0

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

Yeah, I'm interested in the Midgard stuff, primarily for DA stats. I really like the DA setting, but I don't know how it'd fly with my group. for a mini-arc it'd be fine, i'm sure, but it might be a little grim for something ongoing.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I really like DA for tabletop. Albeit I have only run a handful of sessions, the mechanics are simple and the stunt system is an elegant way of allowing all the major 3.5 feats/4e powers to get streamedlined into a dozen or so manuevers. The funky Dragon Die and critical system is a bit strange for a few minutes, but it grows on you. I also like the grimness of the setting. Unlike most folks, I got the tabletop rpg first, and then got into the PC game as a result. The only thing that doesn't score a homerun for me is the fact that no matter what level you are, your chances of scoring a critical never increase. You do, however, get to do more once you get a critical though. I guess its similar to d20 though in that rolling a natural 20 is the same at 1st level as it is at 10th, so maybe I am wrinkling my nose over nothing. Still, I think DA hits a sweet spot as an intro to gaming in general. And the setting is pretty cool. I have been thinking of porting the setting over to a different rules set that is grittier and more brutal (like Legend or Gurps).

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

as far as teh video game, the original was created for the pc and adapted to the game consule where DA2 was created for the consule and adapted for the PC. So if your like me and play on the PC still, the original is for you.

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Post by Lord Dynel »

The second part of the video is out. I gave it a watch. It's interesting, to say the least.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Are any of you familiar with a video like this, with people playing C&C?
RPGing since '89

Guitarist in Rust Age (old-school rock)
https://youtu.be/c7ULaz7yRig

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

You just choose your homework!

That's a great idea, really. It might help people "get" the siege engine. Anyone coming from 3e or HackMaster or even 2nd Ed tricked out with options might feel that C&C 'doesn't have enough rules' at first. (or I might have at first) so seeing it play might show off the elegance of the system.

or something.
Bill D.

Hal G
Red Cap

Post by Hal G »

LD, I really enjoyed it and I guess it was a 6 hour session, would love to see the whole thing.
Des, I have not seen any for C&C but if anyone was going to do it GenCon would be a great place to start.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Relaxo wrote:You just choose your homework!
:lol:

Proberbly not a good idea since I run my C&C game in danish :)
RPGing since '89

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

With Coffee?

(That was terrible, I know).
Bill D.

Desrimal
Hlobane Orc

Post by Desrimal »

Relaxo wrote:With Coffee?

(That was terrible, I know).
RPGing since '89

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

It took me months to realize that the SIEGE engine contained ALL the lists of Feats, skills and other abilities anyone could need. Once I had that epiphany I was in love.