true20

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

true20

Post by Relaxo »

So in 50 words or less, True 20 is d20 with a damage track instead of hit points? (and the subsequent tweaks to healing and damage?)
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Re: true20

Post by Arakor »

True20 is a very streamlined version of D20.
  • Only three character classes (Expert, Warrior, Adept).
  • Damage is done as a save and is taken against a damage track (separate tracks for lethal and non-lethal).
  • Characters receive a Core Ability plus 4 feats at 1st level.
  • Characters may have an Origin that gives bonus feats and restrictions.
  • Magic no longer uses Spells - instead adepts purchase Powers as Feats which have a free-form use mechanic.
  • Creatures can be built very easily from scratch.
  • True20 has a Unit Template that can be added to a creature.
  • No XP ... GM decides when you've levelled up.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

I only played the game once. Seemed like it was okay. How is True 20 holding up in the market these days?

redwullf
Ulthal

Post by redwullf »

I wanted to love True20, I really did. I enjoyed just about everything about the rules, except the very damage track you mention. It was cumbersome, for starters. And too "gritty" if you will - sure, it simulated "real life" because a well-placed bullet or blade attack can put you out of the fight, but that doesn't lend itself well to heroic fantasy.
"The worthy GM never purposely kills players' PCs. He presents opportunities
for the rash and unthinking players to do that all on their own.” -- E. G. G.

--------------------------------------------------
Castles & Crusades Society Member

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

True 20 was absolutely awesome for my King Author/Camelot game. To the point where it is the only way I will ever run it again.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Aramis
Lore Drake

Post by Aramis »

Treebore wrote:True 20 was absolutely awesome for my King Author/Camelot game. To the point where it is the only way I will ever run it again.
King Author? Here is what that game might possibly look like:

I will play the Gunslinger. Nwelte will be "It", and Rhuvein will probably be the poster of Rita Hayworth

Now, let's find that holy grail!

:lol:

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Aramis wrote:
Treebore wrote:True 20 was absolutely awesome for my King Author/Camelot game. To the point where it is the only way I will ever run it again.

I will play the Gunslinger. Nwelte will be "It", and Rhuvein will probably be the poster of Rita Hayworth

Hey! It was MY game, so I can spell author/arthur/arther/artur however I want!
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Arakor
Hlobane Orc

Post by Arakor »

tylermo wrote:I only played the game once. Seemed like it was okay. How is True 20 holding up in the market these days?
With Green Ronin working on the Dragon Age RPG and the "Games of Thrones" RPG, True 20 is pretty lacking in support. I drifted over to the True 20 forums recently and there hasn't been any traffic in the last year or so.

It's a shame really because I've got all the True20 books sitting on my shelf here and it's one of my favourite OGL variant of D20 (FantasyCraft being the other).

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Makes me feel good that there's still activity on the C&C boards.

nwelte1
Lore Drake

Post by nwelte1 »

Aramis wrote:

Really?! I am Pennywise? That seems mighty harsh. Just because I use children as sacrifices in my game does not make me It.

"I am eternal, child. I am the eater of worlds, and of children. And you are next!"

"Want a balloon?"