On teh fence...

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

On teh fence...

Post by Relaxo »

about getting Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (D&D Next)

at $18 for pdf, it's over 200 pages: it's got 4 adventures to take a party from level 1 to 10, a quickstart of 5e, bestiary with like 100 monsters, the current (in progress) list of spells that are 'locked in' for the next ed... stuff like that.

so I'm like, oooh, let me see! and if nothing else, 4 linked adventures that can't be too hard to convert to C&C, but on the other i'm like, just wait for the 'real' 5th ed book.....

hmmm,,,,,
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Lord Dynel
Maukling

Re: On teh fence...

Post by Lord Dynel »

I see where you're coming from. I've been mulling it over, too, but also have yet to purchase it. I'm looking to other stuff before I go too far into purchasing any official 5e stuff. I agree, it shouldn't be too difficult to convert. I've been buying older TSR stuff and OSR offerings, simply because they're higher on my priority list than the 5e stuff. I'm pretty excited about getting my hands on the Castle of the Mad Archmage release, personally. But yeah, at the very least the 5e stuff will be good for idea mining. :)
LD's C&C creations - CL Checker, a witch class, the half-ogre, skills, and 0-level rules
Troll Lord wrote:Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

Relaxo wrote:about getting Ghosts of Dragonspear Castle (D&D Next)

at $18 for pdf, it's over 200 pages: it's got 4 adventures to take a party from level 1 to 10,
Wouldn't count on those levels using C&C. different rate of leveling as far as I can tell from the 5th Ed materials.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Oh I hadn't thought of that. Does the D&DN stuff level up to like, level 40 but that's actually normal and not immortal like we'd think of it?

(like the first time I saw someone playing Final Fantasy, they were well into the game, and were like, level 135 and I almost fell over. Then they told me it levels up to like, 900 or something. )
Bill D.

PeelSeel2
Ulthal

Post by PeelSeel2 »

A friend of mine has the hard copy, and I borrowed it. It is an it is an average adventure. That being said, I will, at some point, plunk down the money for it.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I have it and it has the same rules as the last playtest packet. So if you have that, you have the same rules. I really didn't look at the adventure yet, but will probably at some point as it is set in the Daggerford locale and I love the N5 Under Illefarn book as a nice intro to FR.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

I never got the playtest stuff, and I'm sort of regretting it. I read Of Dice and Men and it got me interested in checking out the 5th/next addition stuff. Wizards set themself a tall order to make it compatible-ish with all editions. And basically, I'm like, whatevs, I've gots my C&C. :D
Bill D.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

Relaxo wrote:And basically, I'm like, whatevs, I've gots my C&C. :D
I agree. While interested in Next, my experience of 4th edition was such that I'd rather play C&C which I know that I like than try out yet another wildly divergent edition that has the potential numbers bloat of 4th edition.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The problem I see with 5E is that even if they do have a very basic "core" game, DM's will still have to deal with pressure form their players to add more and more.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Treebore wrote:The problem I see with 5E is that even if they do have a very basic "core" game, DM's will still have to deal with pressure form their players to add more and more.
From what I understand, the idea is that the players will pick every few levels between getting a new fiddly feet that requires additional rules crunching or an enhancement to an ability score. The feats listed in the playtest don't seem so terrible. But, that's at playtest and as D&D's history tends toward expanding and expanding with lots of supplemental rules, I think you're right that there will be pressure for any DM to include this or that 'must have' ability/rule that comes along.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Litzen Tallister wrote:
Treebore wrote:The problem I see with 5E is that even if they do have a very basic "core" game, DM's will still have to deal with pressure form their players to add more and more.
From what I understand, the idea is that the players will pick every few levels between getting a new fiddly feet that requires additional rules crunching or an enhancement to an ability score. The feats listed in the playtest don't seem so terrible. But, that's at playtest and as D&D's history tends toward expanding and expanding with lots of supplemental rules, I think you're right that there will be pressure for any DM to include this or that 'must have' ability/rule that comes along.
Yep. Which has been the case since 1E AD&d, once they released Unearthed Arcana, then it got worse in 2E with all the "options" and other splat books, which has continued on through 3E and 4E, so I see no reason to think 5E will be any different.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

But surely every RPG needs a book entitled "The Complete..." for every race and class?!?

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

It's a tough balance. every publisher needs to sell books, even if every game doesn't really need more game.
Which is why tons of adventures would be cool, it seems to work for Goodman games. and tons of settings.
or something. I don't pretend to know what I'm talking about.
Bill D.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

I can understand the financial aspects of needing to stay in business, but there is a point at which people will decide to get off the merry-go-round if they feel like they're being milked. Which I think is a difficult balance to strike. However, I'm fairly certain that, if when bringing all the 'necessary' campaign materials, one runs the risk of dislocating a shoulder, there might be too much.

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

I liked their mission statement but at the same time my inner voice couldn't help say, "Trying to please everyone usually ends up pleasing no one."

That is what they are up against and it isn't an easy thing to pull-off.

I haven't been following it's progression and any Youtube or other review stuff pretty much is coming from the newer generation that has really only been exposed to 3/3.5/4e and Pathfinder. So the reviews are pretty much useless to me.

I'm intrigued but C&C scratches my itch with the system and the Airdhe setting and keeps my wallet busy enough. I'll wait for it to see print and see what people are saying after that.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I've seen ideas in 5E that I will likely steal for my C&C games, but at the end of the day I'll likely be staying with C&C. You cannot get much simpler, or universal, than C&C.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Sir, that's been a thought of mine for some time. How are they going to please all of the people all of the time? I've only perused the first playtest download, and my memory of it is foggy. I have also played one session of a more recent version of 5E (circa Sept. 2013). It's hard to say, but I could see them having more of an effect on some of the old school crowd vs. the 3.5/4/PF bunch. I have no clue but sales-wise they have to get the new-schoolers, I suspect. Anyway, I remember (from the late 2013 download) some sort of mechanic involving rolling two 20-siders, and that my Elven wizard pre-gen had d6 hit dice, and some at-will spells like ray of frost. That was more of Pathfinder influence perhaps, which might not be a bad thing. I LOVE C&C, but I have occasionally pondered whether or not wizards and illusionists (and as result...all classes) should be beefed up to d6 hit dice, and have more to do spell-wise (at lower levels). I have no desire to turn C&C into PF or WoW, however. Back to 5E...I might buy the phb, or some of the adventures. Tree, which mechanics were you thinking of using in your C&C game?

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Treebore wrote:Yeah, I've seen ideas in 5E that I will likely steal for my C&C games, but at the end of the day I'll likely be staying with C&C. You cannot get much simpler, or universal, than C&C.

THIS
Bill D.