View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 18, 2017 4:35 pm

Reply to topic  [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next
Mystara Gazetteers 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Mystara Gazetteers
DND Classics has slowly been releasing Mystara Gazetteers (for BECMI D&D, but some also professed compatibility with 2e). Nearly all of them are there, just waiting on a few. So far they have GAZ1-5,7-11.

Also, Bruce Heard's setting Calidar is off to the printers, it's a spiritual successor to the Princess Ark series from Dragon, if you want the Mystara feel in a new product.

Bruce's Blog where the product is mentioned http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com/
After the kickstarters get it, it will go up on DriveThruRPG.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:55 pm
Battle Stag

Post Re: Mystara Gazetteers
Back in 2006-2007 we played C&C using our older copies of the GAZ supplements. Being that many in my group started playing D&D during the Known World years, it was a natural extension into the C&C game.

With the World of Caladar soon to be released, I expect to once again looking into the works of Bruce Heard for a possible return to that type of setting, C&C-style of course.

~O

Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:04 pm
Profile WWW
Mogrl

While I do not like everything in the Gazeteers, I've always been glad I own them. Glad to see so many of their PDF's are finally out, again.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:06 pm
Lore Drake

S'Funny, because I just last night decided that my next campaign, once my current FR campaign comes to an end later this year, will be a Mystara campaign - specifically a classic Karameikos campaign set right at the time of the B series (B3 may be a part of the start).

Thx for the link Aergraith!

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Thu Aug 28, 2014 10:29 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Retro RPG Review just did a review of the Mystara world and its supplements. Good timing, apparently.

Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:59 pm
Mist Elf

Post Calidar Proof Copy Received
A copy of the hard cover book has been issued by the printer for verification, and it looks good. I'm posting this note here since this is indirectly connected with Voyages of the Princess Ark, and at least in spirit, with Mystara. Thought you might be interested. Details and additional pictures are available at:

http://bruce-heard.blogspot.com/2014/08/printers-proof-received.html

Sun Aug 31, 2014 1:42 pm
Mogrl

While being PF still has me tempted, if you had a Swords and Wizardry or LL version of this, I'd have already ordered. Looks awesome, regardless.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Sun Aug 31, 2014 6:56 pm
Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
While I do not like everything in the Gazeteers, I've always been glad I own them. Glad to see so many of their PDF's are finally out, again.

I've downloaded a bunch of the GAZ's and already had a Dawn of the Emperors box set, but I'm really planning on using those just as "fluff" resources - for my campaign "setting" I am going really old school and using just the B&W map from X1 and it's one page setting descriptions, plus the Karameikos map and other maps from my B1-9 compilation. When we do this campaign, I want the party to be as limited in "meta-knowledge" about the world as possible.

Of course, we still have a FR campaign to finish off first - group is in the level 10 range and still have a Black Dragon named Anathraxis who's set up shop and rule over the Moonshae isles that the Lords of Waterdeep and the various merchant guilds want the group to take care of, a little war between Semmemon and Zhentil Keep they've got to resolve, and a PC who is a Bhaal-spawn whose story needs a conclusion to... :twisted:

Bruce - thanks for the link and congrats - looks like cool stuff! 8-)

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:54 pm
Profile WWW
Unkbartig

Calidar looks pretty darn cool.

The only Gazetteer I happen to have is the Dwarves of Rockhome, naturally. An awesome read, and it makes me wish I had picked up the Gazetteers back in the day, considering how much most of them sell for now.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:45 pm
Lore Drake

Jyrdan Fairblade wrote:
Calidar looks pretty darn cool.

The only Gazetteer I happen to have is the Dwarves of Rockhome, naturally. An awesome read, and it makes me wish I had picked up the Gazetteers back in the day, considering how much most of them sell for now.

Most of them are in pdf over at RPGNow, for $4.99 each, if I remember correctly. Course if you don't like reading on a screen, not of much help.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:53 pm
Red Cap

dachda wrote:

Most of them are in pdf over at RPGNow, for $4.99 each, if I remember correctly. Course if you don't like reading on a screen, not of much help.

He doesn't like reading on a screen. I don't like reading on a screen either. But, for $4.99 I know I can tolerate it enough, compared to the cost of the dead tree version. And, there's always printing them out.

Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:47 pm
Mist Elf

Calidar Sales Kickoff

Many among you who have missed Calidar's original Kickstarter event, along with backers who picked an entry-level tier, have been asking: "when and where will I be able to get all that good stuff?"

Fret not! This day is fast coming.

I placed the answer to your question in a separate page to be easier to locate later on. Sorry for the redirect. Click here for the right location, or at the top of the blog page on the tab labeled:

Where Can I get Calidar?

Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:55 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Thanks, Bruce!

Thu Sep 18, 2014 1:16 pm
Mogrl

Bruce Heard wrote:
Calidar Sales Kickoff

Many among you who have missed Calidar's original Kickstarter event, along with backers who picked an entry-level tier, have been asking: "when and where will I be able to get all that good stuff?"

Fret not! This day is fast coming.

I placed the answer to your question in a separate page to be easier to locate later on. Sorry for the redirect. Click here for the right location, or at the top of the blog page on the tab labeled:

Where Can I get Calidar?

Thats the problem with so many good Kickstarters. While I'd love to back all of the ones I find interesting, I can't. So have to wait until later to pick up what I can when I can. Like this month, once I hit $200 on KS's, I couldn't support several others I would have liked to. Plus, since my wife and 3 kids all went to College this Semester, I've regretted the $200, money is VERY tight this month.

Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:09 pm
Mist Elf

Treebore wrote:
Thats the problem with so many good Kickstarters. While I'd love to back all of the ones I find interesting, I can't. So have to wait until later to pick up what I can when I can. Like this month, once I hit $200 on KS's, I couldn't support several others I would have liked to. Plus, since my wife and 3 kids all went to College this Semester, I've regretted the $200, money is VERY tight this month.

I'll have you know, Dear Sir, that Calidar was NOT a good Kickstarter. Not even average, old chap. Calidar was nothing less but an outstanding Kickstarter, yes Sir, none but the best! So there! I just solved your problem. :lol:

(Shameless grandstanding proffered free of charge.)

Fri Sep 19, 2014 9:51 pm
Mogrl

Bruce Heard wrote:
Treebore wrote:

I'll have you know, Dear Sir, that Calidar was NOT a good Kickstarter. Not even average, old chap. Calidar was nothing less but an outstanding Kickstarter, yes Sir, none but the best! So there! I just solved your problem. :lol:

(Shameless grandstanding proffered free of charge.)

:lol:

Unfortunately, that doesn't change the fact that we are almost out of money for the month, with 12 days to go. Its going to be another "squeaker"!

Fri Sep 19, 2014 11:29 pm
Battle Stag

I love the layout of this book. Thank you to the layout guy for keeping the old aesthetics. 8-) Here's the problem as I am reading it... we need another volume, stat!

~O

Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:21 am
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

I bought the PDF of Calidar: In Stranger Skies and maps this morning. Just some quick observations.

Page backgrounds are parchment. I don't find them hard to read, but could be an issue for some, and might not print well. The coloring is light, it's not intrusive.

The first 51 pages contain a story describing the world. These are also available by themselves in the Airman Edition. I haven't had an opportunity to read it yet.

Then an overview of the worlds is given, and the races of Calidar are described. These are presented without any game mechanics. A list of deities is given. Then, an overview of Calidar itself and its history.

The only area detailed in the book is the Kingdom of Meryath, a small area at the bottom of the circular Caldera. So, prepare your pocketbook; certainly more books are coming to describe the rest of these areas, not only in Calidar, but the other worlds in the Calidar Ephemeris.

A section on creatures, also given without mechanics follows, then a "System Conversion" for Pathfinder, in which stats for the NPCs and creatures are given all in one place, under the OGL (except proper names). I think somehow then it's possible to put out a fan document with the C&C stats.

After that, there is a section of Skyships and how they work. Again, not deeply mechanical, just some speed comparisons.

The maps of the universe, world, and kingdom are pretty awesome, and will be very cool to see on the posters. The deck plans are well-done also. Illustrations of peoples and creatures are mostly monochrome paintings, and are distinctive enough to make Calidar not look like every other fantasy world, but aren't so outlandish you will need new writeups for the core classes.

One thing I noticed in the race descriptions: dwarves either can't cast spells or are bad at it, and they rely on gnomes to cast spells. How that actually works out is up to the DM, I guess.

In summary, I like the book, I'm glad I bought it, and I intend to use it. On the other hand, I wish it detailed more than just one Kingdom on Calidar, and shudder to think of how much money I'll spend before I have the whole world detailed. This book will work just fine with C&C or any other system and it's nice that all of the stats are in one place and that section is explicitly OGL.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:22 pm
Mogrl

Aergraith wrote:
In summary, I like the book, I'm glad I bought it, and I intend to use it. On the other hand, I wish it detailed more than just one Kingdom on Calidar, and shudder to think of how much money I'll spend before I have the whole world detailed. This book will work just fine with C&C or any other system and it's nice that all of the stats are in one place and that section is explicitly OGL.

He is basically doing his own version of the Paizo format. They have one over all campaign book that gives the basics of every area of their setting, and then they have been putting out more detailed books for each area, along with maps, as well as varying where their adventures take place among them. So if you want the FULL Paizo setting, along with all the adventures that take place in them, yeah, your going to be dishing out over a Thousand dollars.

Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:47 pm
Mist Elf

Post Calidar, Moving Forward.
Greetings all,

I'm currently working on the next book for Calidar. It focuses on the Gods of the Great Caldera. A number of blog articles present an overview of Calidar's limbo and a summary of the gods. There's enough free material there to keep you reading for some time. I'm looking for feedback from the gaming community before I roll up all this material and finalize it in the book. We can discuss this here. The two key articles to get you started are:

Death and the Netherworld
Gods of the Great Caldera Pt. 1

To start the year on a good note, the price structure for the book's various formats (PDF, soft cover, hard cover book, and poster map) have been lowered, some substantially. Take advantage of this before it changes. Click here to find Calidar.

Another piece of very good news is Calidar's Number One rating on EnWorld for the past several weeks, ahead of the mighty D&D rulebooks.

Cheers, and Happy New Year!

Bruce

Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:46 pm
Mist Elf

Greetings all. I made the "official announcement" for the next book in the Calidar series and described upcoming goals for its Kickstarter. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions about this. Thanks. Click here for the blog article.

Wed Jan 28, 2015 9:45 pm
Battle Stag

This is good news for Calidar. Clearly, there is a lot to this world that the main In Stranger Skies book presents. These blogs do a lot to make this new book in the series feel greatly needed. Can't wait.

~O

Thu Jan 29, 2015 3:07 am
Profile WWW
Maukling

Bruce Heard wrote:
Greetings all. I made the "official announcement" for the next book in the Calidar series and described upcoming goals for its Kickstarter. Please let me know if you have any suggestions or questions about this. Thanks. Click here for the blog article.

Mr. Heard -

Are you going to have a presence at Gen Con, by any chance? I'd like to get a signed copy of Calidar while I'm there...

:)

Troll Lord wrote:
Lord D: you understand where I"m coming from.

Fri Jan 30, 2015 7:46 pm
Mist Elf

Post CC1 Beyond the Skies
If you haven't seen this yet, I recently posted an article on the next book in the Calidar series. It unveils a lot of about the contents and the goal of this new title. CC1 "Beyond the Skies" is Calidar's "Deities & Demigods," describing the gods of the Great Caldera, their temples, sects, knightly orders, and politics among the mortal and not so mortal. There will be a kickstarter during the first half of this year, essentially to finance the acquisition of cover art and internal illustrations. The books will also be packed with color floor plans. Feel free to comment here. Though much of this has already been written, I'm always open to suggestions or comments. Cheers!

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:55 pm
Mist Elf

Lord Dynel wrote:
Bruce Heard wrote:

Mr. Heard -

Are you going to have a presence at Gen Con, by any chance? I'd like to get a signed copy of Calidar while I'm there...

:)

Hi Dynel. Sorry I missed your post. I am not attending GenCon unfortunately. I'll be at GaryCon, here in Lake Geneva, late March 2015. Do you currently have a copy of Calidar?

Sun Mar 01, 2015 2:58 pm
Mist Elf

Post 2015-2016 Critical Updates & Good News
It's been a while since I last posted here. This looks like a good opportunity to go over all that's happened since then.

CC1 "Beyond the Skies:" It is my present project. I just finished the writing part and am working on the upcoming Kickstarter event. This book is, as you might guess, the second release for my campaign world, Calidar. It details 89 gods spread out among eight pantheons (one elven, one dwarven, one fellfolk, one gnomish, one half-elven, and four human) plus one monotheistic cult. A good deal of the book focuses on outer planes, servants of the gods, divine alliances, secret societies, powers granted to the faithful based on their levels of piety, histories of the cults and therefore of their people, as well as shamans of the Dread Lands, and mechanics on how to handle the Great Caldera's "haunted" wilderness. All told, the book should exceed 250 pages, small type (akin to the presentation style of GAZ3 "Principalities of Glantri" for those of you familiar with this old series of D&D accessories.)

The Kickstarter Event: Funding is needed essentially for the cover art, internal illustrations, and final editing. It is currently projected for December 2015, ending early in January 2016. The book's final release date should be in the summer of 2016, depending on the availability of the artists I'd like to see involved in this project. This Kickstarter is crucial, since it will determine how much internal art will illustrate the various gods. Diagrams, temple floor plans, geographical maps, and godly symbols have already been secured. If you aren't familiar with Calidar, the original Kickstarter took place in 2014 -- click here for that page.

New Website: Calidar Publishing now owns [url=strangerskies.com/]its own website,[/url] which gives an overview of Calidar, the game world, the product, and the first book. It includes [url=strangerskies.com/blog/]my blog,[/url] a [url=strangerskies.com/get-calidar-2/]webstore[/url], and an official forum which turned out to be pretty snazzy! Give us a visit and tell us what you think. You can still get your copy of CAL1 "In Stranger Skies," the first book in the series via DTRPG.

Events: I will attend Lake Geneva's Gary Con in March of 2016, as well as North Texas RPG Con in June 2016. I'm looking forward to meeting D&D Mystara and Calidar fans.

Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:51 pm
Mogrl

Post Re: 2015-2016 Critical Updates & Good News
Bruce Heard wrote:
Events: I will attend Lake Geneva's Gary Con in March of 2016, as well as North Texas RPG Con in June 2016. I'm looking forward to meeting D&D Mystara and Calidar fans.

Awesome! If life co operates I will be at both this year as well!

Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:29 pm
Mist Elf

Post Re: 2015-2016 Critical Updates & Good News
Treebore wrote:
Bruce Heard wrote:

Awesome! If life co operates I will be at both this year as well!

Sounds great!

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:38 pm
Mist Elf

Sat Oct 31, 2015 12:39 pm
Mist Elf

Post Calidar "Beyond the Skies" Kickstarter Preview Page

Greetings all!

I'm very excited to be able to share with you the link to Beyond the Skies' preview page. This presentation is very close to its final version, which should go live during the first week of December 2015.

This page says a lot about the new book in the Calidar series as well as the people behind it. As this still is work in progress to some degree, the link is made public mainly for the opportunity to return feedback about its contents. Have a look at the project's general description, pledge levels, add-ons, and stretch goals. Tell us what you think. You can do so here, or directly via the preview page (use the feedback box near the top of the kickstarter page).

This kickstarter makes it possible for new backers to acquire the original book at a discounted price, and other titles strictly restricted to kickstarter supporters. As always, the success of any crowd funding depends directly upon its backers. So please, do share this post as much as possible with friends you know may be interested in Calidar.

Thank you so much for making this book a reality!

Click here for the preview page

Mon Nov 16, 2015 4:35 pm
Reply to topic   [ 40 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2  Next