Anyone play Pokemon cards?

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Anyone play Pokemon cards?

Post by Relaxo »

Over the course of the summer, my 6 ½ year old daughter has seen lots of kids playing Pokémon cards at summer camp. She became interested and so we had the talk about saving up allowance money, making choices about little stuff today, or big stuff tomorrow, making sure it is something you’d actually use, yadda yadda. Long story short, the other day we hit our FLGS and each bought 1 starter deck with our own money. She’s ever so proud of her purchase, since she really earned it. So now that we’ve played a few games, she’s reading the cards, adding and subtracting multiples of 10, and having geeky fun with dad. How is this not an Epic win? :D

I figured the game would be super simple and "just a kid game" since I used to play Magic cards back in the day and Pokemon has an obviously young target audience, but I must say I dig the Pokémon card game. What's cool is when you buy a deck, you can upload it to the online game and play with other people online, add boosters etc just like with the real cards. So that's my timesuck du jour when I can't sleep.
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

serleran
Mogrl

Re: Anyone play Pokemon cards?

Post by serleran »

I have not now, nor plan to, play a game of Pokémon. Even though they are my list of console RPGs to get (if they can be called that...)

In any event, finding something to enjoy, even when someone else does not, is a pleasure. More so if you can get your children involved. That is how traditions are made!

Vicarious Pendrake
Skobbit

Post by Vicarious Pendrake »

Keep at pokemon with her and use it as a gateway towards yugioh and then magic , those games are a bit easier to find others playing although the magic crowd may be a bit much for six year old .
You may have a tycoon on your hands if you teach her card bartering skills at that age before you know it she will be saving her money to buy auction lots for resale at the flea market.
Making 500$ a weekend at the age of 9 lmao.

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

woah.
forget the 9 year old, I wouldn't mind making $500 bucks a weekend!
Bill D.

Arduin
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Arduin »

About 15 years ago my two boys played it a lot at school during lunch and such. Became a huge money drain on their earned income (week end chore $). Still I played it with them a couple of times. Neat little card game for kids though.
Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

House Rules

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Yeah, that's why I stopped playing Magic back in college. Also, this was back in the day and they were still finding their pace so the newer cards were uber powerful and it was like, if anyone got lucky in a booster, poof! they win. frustrating. I choose to believe this has been fixed, but I don't play so who knows? LOL. I do that Spellslingers on Geek and Sundry temps me to play again... grrr.
Bill D.