I love CORTEX Classic for all things sci-fi.

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

I love CORTEX Classic for all things sci-fi.

Post by slimykuotoan »

And here beith why:

Firstly, it's devoid of setting. This' more a personal preference thing, but I dislike games that are too linked to a setting; I'd feel odd for example, saying: let's go play Star Wars!, etc.

Secondly, it really is the best system for my group's sci-fi needs. What's more efficient than pairing an attribute with a skill? Str d6 + Brawl d4 = perfectly intuitive and rules lite.

Thirdly, the elegant rules set allows for story and narrative over crunch. Determining the appropriate dice rolls to determine virtually any action is an intuitive snap.

Fourthly, CORTEX covers small to large and beyond scale damage with a simple 1:10 scale. No problems.

Fifthly, The vehicles, be they motorcycles or starships, follow the same rules set as characters and npcs. Simply brilliant.

Sixthly, plot points are an amazing way for players and GMs to create a truly collaborative story. Yessims.

As you can see from above, I love the system, and find those who criticize it to be odd. :P

Seriously though, pour moi, there's truly everything to like here. :)

For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: I love CORTEX Classic for all things sci-fi.

Post by alcyone »

I didn't like it much. But it reminds me, where the heck is Jamie Chamber's Metamorphosis Alpha? I think I pre-ordered it about 700 years ago.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Aer, I didn't back it. However, I think there was a recent announcement from Jamie. I'm apart of the Met Alpha group on fb. Can't remember what was said, or if I'm remembering correctly.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I got my Metamorphosis Alpha Collectors Edition a few days ago, but that one was produced by Goodman Games.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Mr. Chambers signed my CORTEX book recently. :)
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Still haven't gotten my Collector's Edition.