Out of the Abyss This Weekend

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Out of the Abyss This Weekend

Post by Jyrdan Fairblade »

So this weekend I’m starting running Out of the Abyss, the latest campaign-module-thingie from Wizards. I’m super excited, but nervous as well. The last time I attempted running a module anywhere close to this size was Queen of the Spider in 1e, and we didn’t even finish that.

I’ve been hesitant with the last few giant 5e modules, but Out of the Abyss really grabbed me. We’ll see if it has the same effect on my players.

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Out of the Abyss This Weekend

Post by Treebore »

Running loooong campaigns definitely takes a good bit of effort on the part of not only the GM, but the players. If you want any general advice, feel free to ask me or any of my looooong time players around here. I/we have manged to do 3 to 4 year on line campaigns twice now, which included modules like the old Giant series all the way through Queen of the Demonweb Pits, etc...

My long time players around here are Rigon, Aramis, Kayolan (6 to 8 year ranges) and others who are 3 years or less are Rom, Lurker and the rest.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Litzen Tallister
Red Cap

Post by Litzen Tallister »

It's only a long campaign if he doesn't kill us all off in the first session. ;)

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Thanks, Treebore. Right now, it's off to a good start. Enthusiasm is high. But in my experience, some in my group tend to fade a bit when the novelty wears off. How did you keep people engaged in the long run?
Treebore wrote:Running loooong campaigns definitely takes a good bit of effort on the part of not only the GM, but the players. If you want any general advice, feel free to ask me or any of my looooong time players around here.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Hush, you. Everyone survived the first session just fine. Other than the flogging scars...
Litzen Tallister wrote:It's only a long campaign if he doesn't kill us all off in the first session. ;)

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

One of the best ways to keep their interest is to keep giving them enemies they want to hunt down and kill.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

Good idea, and something I can definitely do.
Treebore wrote:One of the best ways to keep their interest is to keep giving them enemies they want to hunt down and kill.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Thats two really important things the Slavelords modules taught me. First, steal the players stuff, and they will hunt down the thief, or thieves, like a rabid dog. Second, give them a large, far reaching organization as their enemy, make them hate this enemy, and they will hunt that organization down like a rabid dog as well. Since then I have also learned that players will get rabid if you so much as threaten friends and family of the PC.

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Treebore wrote:Thats two really important things the Slavelords modules taught me. First, steal the players stuff, and they will hunt down the thief, or thieves, like a rabid dog. Second, give them a large, far reaching organization as their enemy, make them hate this enemy, and they will hunt that organization down like a rabid dog as well. Since then I have also learned that players will get rabid if you so much as threaten friends and family of the PC.

Which is why I always give good indepth backgrounds so you (the dm) has pleanty of hooks for my poor little character. And also why we are getting ready to ride into a valley of hobgoblins to near certain death .... ;)

Jyrdan
For the long term player aspect of your post. Though I've been in and out of the game over the years (I defend my self with college, work, long hours moving etc etc etc, but those are wimpy excuses when stacked against 6 years of gaming in the group)

From experience on the player side of the screen. What has kept me hooked to tree, rigon etc's games is :

1st the abilities of the gm (great dming from all 3 of them). This includes a good story arch - see tree's above post. 2nd a good group of players. Though I've never met any of them in person I consider them all friends. Also, all of them good role players and make the game fun. Plus, there are also times we can just bs and not be tooooo focused on the game.

The flip side is yes, there are times players drift away. Like you said some lose focus after the luster of newness wears off. I'd say, don't let that worry you too much. But also, look at having a few more players in the group so that it can absorb the losses and not hamstring the group.

I'd also suggest talking to the players and seeing what they like want etc. How they picture their player players and what their goals are. That will get them even more interested in the game. However, that is true for any game long term or short term.
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

It gets really intense when the players develop a personal beef with those enemies you give them. heheheeheee
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Jyrdan Fairblade
Unkbartig

I actually did just that, putting together a fancy survey for everyone to fill out. The results were enlightening, though at times contradictory. But I'm still trying to incorporate that feedback into the game.
Lurker wrote:
I'd also suggest talking to the players and seeing what they like want etc. How they picture their player players and what their goals are. That will get them even more interested in the game. However, that is true for any game long term or short term.