New Conan RPG by Modiphious...

TLG d20, Necromancer Games and general. Discuss any game not covered in another forum.
Treebore
Mogrl

New Conan RPG by Modiphious...

Post by Treebore »

They have given us the first 6 chapters of the book as of today, today released Chapter 6, equipment.

I have to say its looking pretty good so far, and they are definitely responding to the feedback, which is good. For the most part. A couple of things I think I would rather have stayed how they originally did it. Which is fine, since I have those versions too, so if I decide to, I can easily House Rule it.

So far, as long as they deliver everything they have promised, which was a LOT, I will be very pleased with having backed this KS.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/mo ... escription

Edit: The Quick start/Players Guide, which has gone through several revisions already...

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/174 ... Quickstart
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

dachda
Lore Drake

Re: New Conan RPG by Modiphious...

Post by dachda »

I'll second Treebore's comments. I joined the kickstarter as well and the games looks promising for sure.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Honestly, never saw the need or desire for a Conan RPG. But, that doesn't mean it can't be useful in other ways... especially if there's some new take on spell usage.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

serleran wrote:Honestly, never saw the need or desire for a Conan RPG. But, that doesn't mean it can't be useful in other ways... especially if there's some new take on spell usage.
I understand your point of view, but for me, if I want to GM a game in Conan's Hyperborea world, I want someone else to spent the time and effort to compile all the source material into a usable format that is easy for me to ingest and use at the game table. I don't really want another game system, but the source material that will come with the kickstarter will make it easy to jump straight into that world.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

The potential problem with the new CONAN game is that it uses the 2d20 mechanic, and that isn't at all similar to anything else my players have experience with and it doesn't seem built for ease of conversion to a game system I want to run.

Having said all that, I'll confess that I jumped into the JOHN CARTER playtest which uses a simplified version of the 2d20 system. I guess if I end up liking the one game I might like the other.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

jeffb
Ungern

Post by jeffb »

I was involved with the playtest up to about the last revison prior to KS..

Although there were a few mechanicsl ideas/ elements I enjoyed, I found the system overly fiddly requiring multiple decision points on both sides of the screen even for a routine task. It seems to be trying too hard and complicated for the sake of being different. The fellows at Mophidius seemed more interested in how the game looked and what artists were on the roster, and fairly rigid on hearing about gameplay. There were some threads on ENworld ( mostly started by a unreasonable conan d20 fan who was overly critical to the point of being comical), I still found the commentary by the designers unsatisfying. They were fairly adamant on making Conan fit the system, vs. making the system fit Conan. Much like D20 Star Wars.

As the quickstart came out and it was receiving a fair amount of criticIsm on game play throughtout the KS despite a revision (or two ?) I decided to not support the company/game. Indeed theKS also seemed to be promising a whole hell of a lot of future product with lengthy timelines (and we all know, projections and reality often are two different things). The whole process of initial playtestng and the KS gave me bad vibes.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Yeah, I was leery about backing this KS too. In particular because they have yet to fulfill their previous KS. The only reason I finally jumped on was the promise of all the D20 PDF's. I figured they could at least deliver on those. I'm liking what I am seeing in the first 6 chapters so far, but I haven't really looked at the mechanics of the game yet. I wanted to wait until I had everything on that front before evaluating it. Even the QS doesn't have everything. What I did read of it reminded me of Twilight 2013 in a few ways.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

dachda wrote:
serleran wrote:Honestly, never saw the need or desire for a Conan RPG. But, that doesn't mean it can't be useful in other ways... especially if there's some new take on spell usage.
I understand your point of view, but for me, if I want to GM a game in Conan's Hyperborea world, I want someone else to spent the time and effort to compile all the source material into a usable format that is easy for me to ingest and use at the game table. I don't really want another game system, but the source material that will come with the kickstarter will make it easy to jump straight into that world.
So, what you want is a TLG Codex Conanicus. (Bad name -- I would probably go with Codex Hyperboria, if I were to go with anything.) Basically... the setting in game terms, not a new game. I can agree.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

serleran wrote:
dachda wrote:
So, what you want is a TLG Codex Conanicus. (Bad name -- I would probably go with Codex Hyperboria, if I were to go with anything.) Basically... the setting in game terms, not a new game. I can agree.

I think the Codex Celtarum actually hit on this a bit. Look at it with an eye towards Conan.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

No one needs to work on a Conan setting. The maps,etc... for that are already "out there". We only need to decide on the mechanics, and maybe create classes.

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

Is it my cynical imagination or does a new Conan RPG come out about every 3 years or so? It feels like a new one is announced before the last one even hits the shelves.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:Is it my cynical imagination or does a new Conan RPG come out about every 3 years or so? It feels like a new one is announced before the last one even hits the shelves.
I must be out of the loop, last I knew of was Mongoose', and they lost that license a few years ago. Which was awesome for me, that enabled me to get their boxed sets for $5 each.

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Buttmonkey wrote:Is it my cynical imagination or does a new Conan RPG come out about every 3 years or so? It feels like a new one is announced before the last one even hits the shelves.
Dunno if it's every three years or not, but I have the same general impression. I have several Conan attempts (GURPS, AD&D, Mongoose, etc., as well as some generic knockoffs) and I feel like no one has ever really captured the spirit of Howard's Conan stories.
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

So far I got 42 D20 PDF's and a good chunk of the new core rule book in PDF. So if they do end up failing to deliver, at least I didn't get completely ripped off.

Celticgamer
Hlobane Orc

Post by Celticgamer »

Treebore wrote:
serleran wrote:
dachda wrote:

I think the Codex Celtarum actually hit on this a bit. Look at it with an eye towards Conan.

Odd you mention that...I was going to write and design for the Conan game but they were micromanaging the adventures to death and I was not tolerating it. What started out as an amazing Robert E. Howard inspired adventure I designed, something I ran almost twenty years ago in my own Atlantian Sword and Sorcery campaign (which lasted for about fifteen years), was micromanaged down to little to nothing and made nearly into rubbish by the head guy. I wasn't going to endure that treatment seeing that my adventure modules do fairly well. The head guy is killing its progress and really doesn't know the Hyborian setting like he should. It has been my second 'home' since I was ten. I just left the project quietly, along with many other writers apparently.

As for the 'Codex Celtarum' being a nod to it all...sort of. The 2nd Edition will be for sure! Also, I AM writing a special Codex that handles the legendary sunken and lost lands, so prepare for that one, it will have Atlantis, Lemuria, Mu, etc in it and a special section on 'Sword and Sorcery' style gaming, my homage.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

They're planning a Star Trek RPG using the same system. But the talk of micromanagement and the head not knowing the universe has me concerned they'll screw the pooch on Star Trek. The only thing in their favor right now is that they are ignoring the JJverse.