Alignment question

C&C discussion. Fantasy roleplaying.
New products, general questions, the rules, laws, and the chaos.
maximus
Lore Drake

Alignment question

Post by maximus »

Spoiler alert!

Let me set the stage: My son and I are playing a solo game. He runs 2 PCs, I run the NPCs and DM. The party has just about cleared out the dungeon level of The Slavers Stockade. 1 fighter NPC is down to 0 hit points, my son's Ranger walked thru the door with the Terror glyph and after being tackled by another fighter, he's tied up until they can figure out what the deal is. These 3 stayed behind. The others (2 clerics, 1 MU, 1 druid, 1 rogue, 1 fighter) all very low on HP have pursued Markessa through her private chambers down to an exit that leads outdoors, but she has disappeared. Rather than a fruitless search that will further separate the party, they choose to look into the cavern to the east where the Drow slavers and captives are. The thief reconn'd the area while invisible and brought back news to the others. After much deliberation they decided that these strange elves were too much of an unknown and based on their critically low strength (only offensive spell left was a fireball) they wouldn't try to assault them; they would just have to live with the slaves being lost.

So the question is, do the clerics (Neutral Good & Lawful Good) suffer repercussions from Pelor and/or St. Cuthbert for this decision? They really wanted to intervene, but couldn't figure out how to launch the fireball without killing the slaves too.

Thoughts?

serleran
Mogrl

Re: Alignment question

Post by serleran »

Moved out of Keeper's Advice.

Someone with more knowledge of how Greyhawk divinities work should respond...

Go0gleplex
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Go0gleplex »

No. They should not suffer any alignment penalties for that decision. The situation was beyond their capabilities and the battle would have accomplished nothing. However, if they return and do not notify people in authority that may have the power to go do something about the situation, then there may be some minor divine slaps on the wrist involved. They could also withdraw temporarily, rest & recuperate until they could engage in an attempt on the drow though doing so runs the risk of the slavers moving off before they could get reinforcements should they fail and be forced to withdraw again. While confronted with enemies of their Gods, the divine powers gain nothing by their followers throwing their lives away uselessly.
"Rolling dice and killing characters since September 1976."
"Author of Wardogs! and Contributor to Iron Stars and Starmada-Admiralty ed."
"Certified crazy since 2009."

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

No penalties. Repercussions for actions the GM thinks go against a PC's alignment are usually a rotten idea. That way lies lawful stupid paladins and not-fun. Next thing you know you'll be debating whether the party must first try to capture humanoids and bandits instead of killing them since they might be capable of becoming good. Maybe that is someone's idea of fun, but I'd rather just kill the damn things and let the gods sort them out in the afterlife.

My players would probably have used the fireball anyway. I'd say your clerics performed admirably and within the scope of a good alignment.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Captain_K
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Captain_K »

bad things happen to good people and good people cannot always save the day... sometimes you have to live with the shame of helplessness with the eyes of one pleading in your nightmares to drive you on to future greatness.
Wow, Another Natural One! You guys are a sink hole for luck. Stay away from my dice.