View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 3:11 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
New to C&C and need campaign ideas 
Skobbit

Post New to C&C and need campaign ideas
New CK here! I picked up the two basic books for C&C this year from Steven at Gencon this year to offer a break from the current versions of D&D. I'm excited about the game and I have been reading the first book for the past couple of weeks. I have two relatively new players (my wife and my friend's wife) in the group so the rule-lite C&C will be perfect.

I saw quite a few other books for sale on the Troll Lord website and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good standalone campaign setting with some options for pre-made modules. I would love to create my setting from scratch but I simply do not have the time like I used to. I saw the Umbrage Saga box set but didn't know much about it. Any ideas?

Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:30 pm
Battle Stag

The Umbrage Saga box set is 6 or 7 linked modules. Plus, it's a mini setting for the Trolls main setting of Aihrde. It's dense text, but the adventures are solid dungeon crawls for the most part. Perfect for beginners. Beyond that, you may want to check out the After Winter's Dark folio. That is the setting for the Umbrage Saga proper.

Beyond this, TLG has some exciting products that could continue your adventures. Monsters & Treasures of Aihrde is only about 20% specific to Aihrde. I'd highly reccommend this book for different monsters than the norm from D&D. Good stuff.

~O

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:10 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

One of the lovely things you'll find out about C&C is that it doesn't take a great deal of time or effort to put together a credible adventure. Especially if using tools such as Engineering Dungeons or Towers of Adventure. So if you find that the published adventure materials are not to your liking or need to expand upon them, panic not! There is a towel! errr....there's good stuff to help you along.

Baron Grignak Hammerhand of the Pacifica Provinces-

High Warden of the Castles & Crusades Society

Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:46 pm
Greater Lore Drake

If you want a big bang for your buck, the Umbrage Saga box is perfect.

a campaign setting and 6 or 7 modules all in one.

Hit the TLG section of RPGnow or the products page on trolllord.com for some cheap downloads that can be used anywhere, the wizard's tower, 101 orcs (it's called something like that) lots of goodies.

The more TLG products I read, the more I see their stuff really is top notch and fits together well.

You can't go wrong with the modules from Brave Halfling either, though they are generic and don't provide a setting like the Umbrage Saga does.

Most of all, welcome to the board and have a ton of fun!!!!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:36 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Download this to see what you think . . IMO, a great intro (mebbe the best) to C&C.
http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/knight.pdf

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tue Aug 17, 2010 1:29 am
Unkbartig

Post Re: New to C&C and need campaign ideas
Quote:
fenriswolf wrote:
New CK here! I picked up the two basic books for C&C this year from Steven at Gencon this year to offer a break from the current versions of D&D. I'm excited about the game and I have been reading the first book for the past couple of weeks. I have two relatively new players (my wife and my friend's wife) in the group so the rule-lite C&C will be perfect.

I saw quite a few other books for sale on the Troll Lord website and I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations for a good standalone campaign setting with some options for pre-made modules. I would love to create my setting from scratch but I simply do not have the time like I used to. I saw the Umbrage Saga box set but didn't know much about it. Any ideas?

Welcome to the crusade!

The Umbrage Saga and AWD (as well as M&T of Aihrde) that have been previously recommended are all great products. You might also want to check out Noble Knight Games (or, better yet, see if the Trolls themselves still have any copies left) of the Codex of Erde. That was the predecessor to the C&C version of the Aihrde setting. There's a lot of D20 material in the Codex (although, I thought I heard that it's being redone for C&C...could be wrong, though), but there's also a great deal of background material in it that will help you flesh out the setting. Conversion between D20 and C&C is pretty easy too.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:59 pm
Lore Drake

I will put in a plug for the Haunted Highlands stuff. Modules DB-1 through DB-6 are great. I got all six in PDF and dropped them in as part of my C&C Greyhawk campaign.

Warden of the Welk Wood

Baron of the Castles & Crusades Society

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn

Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour

"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"
http://www.cncsociety.org/

The Poster formerly known as Alwyn
Senior Gamer - Member of the Senior RPG Tour
"NEMO ME IMPUNE LACESSIT - At least not in Yu Gi Oh"

http://www.cncsociety.org/

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:21 pm
Skobbit

Thanks all for the advice. I just picked up the Umbrage Saga boxed set so that should hold me over for the time being. I will take a peek at the Haunted Highlands stuff too. I'm really looking forward to this game now!

Tue Aug 17, 2010 8:30 pm
Mogrl

fenriswolf wrote:
Thanks all for the advice. I just picked up the Umbrage Saga boxed set so that should hold me over for the time being. I will take a peek at the Haunted Highlands stuff too. I'm really looking forward to this game now!

The Umbrage Saga should take you a year or more of weekly gaming to get through. It is also easy to intertwine the DB series with it, so if you do that, your good for probably the next two years.

Welcome to the Crusade!

Feel free to go to the various forums to clarify anything as well as advice, etc...

If your interested in house rules we all have a large variety, you can start with mine by looking in my sig area, as well as several other posters have links to theirs as well in their sigs.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tue Aug 17, 2010 11:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]