View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:27 am

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
New DM + 2 player experiment. 
Henchman

Post New DM + 2 player experiment.
Hi there, I'm new to the TLG forums, but I'm excited to join this community.

I'm working towards my very first DM (or CK) experience around the table. I've chosen CnC for a few reasons, namely that my players are familiar, and amongst my friends I've been able to borrow quite a pile of books to choose from. So now, I want to decide what to do next, with a few considerations:
  • I'd like to do a module to reduce the stresses of trying to figure out what I'm doing.
  • I've decided to only use two players (the two I feel most comfortable with from my group and two that know the game well enough to graciously guide me in times of despair).
  • Should this go well, I'd like to integrate it into a setting/world that I have on hand, and continue the game into more of an open-ended sandboxy type. This world mentioned involves a lot of culture clashes between barbarians and civilized settlers, and corruption of power and a dark cloud coming over the world that originated from an ill-advised child king. Divine powers are very real -- almost tangible -- in this world as well (paladin says prayer, receives audible answer). None of this will happen however, unless this first session goes well.

I'm looking mostly at "Lion in the Ropes" right now as well as a little bit of "Blacktooth Ridge" (the first one). To be honest though, I don't really even know what to look for in a module that would qualify it as good or bad for my purposes. LitR just looks interesting.

Thoughts on a great module to start with?
Note also that I'm the only newby here, and I don't want to bore them with "beginner" stuff if I don't have to. Any pointers?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:41 am
Cleric of Zagyg

Post Re: New DM + 2 player experiment.
Howdy and welcome, zwolga!

Per your thoughts . . "Assault" is a fantastic module, perhaps one of the best TLG mods along with Lion, Mortality and a few others.

However, Assault is a handful for a newbie CK and Lion is fabulous but fit for more advanced party members (lvls 3-5, IIRC).

Anywho, have a look at this module from TLG. It's a great intro one and if you only a couple of players, they/you can utilize the NPCs in the mod.

http://www.trolllord.com/downloads/pdfs/knight.pdf

Probably my all time fav mod and the one that I used to introduce my gaming group to C&C back in 2004.

Enjoy! :)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:00 am
Henchman

Thanks for the input Rhuvein -
I had looked at "knight" as well. I just worry, however, two things: 1. they may very well have played it before, and 2. If it's designed to "introduce" you to the setting, I worry about boring them... ?

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:06 am
Greater Lore Drake

Shadows of the Halfling Hall is a solid TLG adventure, though there is potentially a lot of NPC interaction with the players at the beginning. There is also Secret of Ronan Skerry and Ruins of Ramat done by Arcana Creations. Both good starting adventures. Should be available through Brave Halfling Publishing.

Sat Feb 26, 2011 6:52 am
Greater Lore Drake

Haunted Highlands is awesome stuff and easily integrated into any setting. Worth looking at.

Oh, and welcome to the boards :)

Sat Feb 26, 2011 2:37 pm
Battle Stag

Welcome to the Crusade Zwolga! All the best in your gaming endeavors.

~O

Sat Feb 26, 2011 4:03 pm
Profile WWW
Henchman

Here's an update on this:

So I've heard great things about "the Rising Knight" (AKA knight.pdf), and "Lion in the Ropes". Both seem relatively fun, but I'm leaning toward Knight as it seems a little simpler.

Some had mentioned that adding player-controlled NPCs (essentially second PCs) would help to even things out. My players had mentioned (and may change their minds later...) wanting to play an archer-type (forgive the pun), and a warlord-type respectively. I was thinking I'd throw in a young Cleric boy –– about 1st-late 1st level –– as essentially a healbot, and the module actually has a few others available including a young wizard that "wants to spread his wings and get outta this town" and would probably compliment the party nicely.

If I add these two to my party I'll essentially have two 1st-level PCs––essentially tank and damage––and a 1st-level cleric and 1st-level wizard. Now the module says it was designed for 4-6 1st level adventurers, which leads me to believe that I should be set with this party, right?

I'm also hoping to get a feel of timing from people who've played this module before, or really anyone who's got more experience than I... Looks like a few random encounters are possible, and then what seems to be about 13 encounters. The players I've invited have been selected for their ability to cut the BS and take their turn when the DM (CK) demands it, but on the other hand, they like to RP when possible as well.

Recap:
"Knight" as a module––opinions?
Four 1st level adventurers––2 for each player––should be able to take this, right?
Should I split this into two sessions?

Mon Feb 28, 2011 4:36 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

A couple of thoughts off the top of my head . .

to make it smoother and easier for all:

Don't roll for the random encounters - pick and choose them . . meaning, use a few easy ones or just some "scare the party but don't engage" one and you don't necessarily have to use them all.

You might want to think of adding 1 more NPC (and you can run him/her) ~ as each of your players have 1 NPC as well as their PC.

Have 1 char buy an attack dog - it will be helpful along the way and for sure in the dungeon.

Read through the dungeon room encounters and decide if you want to eliminate monster captains/leaders. I saw there was a 2HD gnoll leader . . you might wish to get rid of him.

And of course, get rid of anything else in the dungeons that you think might trip up your gaming group.

Use the NPC that you're running "in character" to make suggestions to the party, if you think they are being too reckless or are forgetting to rest/heal or seem to be misunderstanding a situation or encounter. That char can be used to guide them.

And then, there is always the "wondering" cleric or fighter who can suddenly appear, if things are going very bad for the party.

All of these are methods I've used in the past for my gaming group when we first started and they were all new to the game.

Some of these methods, I still have in reserve but rarely have to use anymore - as my players have progressed to the point of being very good and cautious.

:)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:26 am
Henchman

Thanks for the detailed reply, Rhuvein. That's really helpful.
One thing to note, however, is that I'd rather do anything possible to make DMing easier as opposed to playing. My players are quite experienced, while this is my first time DMing...

Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]