View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
A1: Assault On Blacktooth Ridge Question (POSSIBLE SPOILER) 
Henchman

Post A1: Assault On Blacktooth Ridge Question (POSSIBLE SPOILER)
Hi,

I am new to CnC and so far have been the CK for 3 sessions and it's been a lot of fun. I have experience with old 2e, some 3.5e, and 4e DnD.

The party got to the part where there was the troll under a bridge. The group are all level 1. 3 players and 2 npc party memebrs. Cleric, Paladin, Mage, Ranger, and Fighter.

Up until then they were blowing through all the encounters. I almost considered increasing the difficulty. Then they came up against this 6HD troll with 3 viscious attacks per turn. The troll was flat out obliterating them.

I decided to have a group of mercenaries from Ludenheim come out of no where to save the day.

So my questions are:

Was the party supposed to encounter this troll?
Should I have scaled down the encoutner?
Is it acceptable to intervene like I did or should I have let party members die?

It just seemed odd to me that everything was a cake walk up until then and then... bam... no chance.

Thanks!

Tue May 31, 2011 6:57 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Post Re: A1: Assault On Blacktooth Ridge Question (POSSIBLE SPOIL
Its been a while since I forayed into A1, but honestly you did the right thing if it prevented a TPK and your group was happy with the overall game. One thing that they should learn is that it is perfectly acceptable to RUN from encounters when you are heavily outclassed :)

Tue May 31, 2011 7:46 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Better part of valor! Better part of valor!

or

I don't have to outrun the troll, I only have to outrun you!
lol

Tue May 31, 2011 8:35 pm
Red Cap

Breakdaddy wrote:
One thing that they should learn is that it is perfectly acceptable to RUN from encounters when you are heavily outclassed :)

This. IMO the game is more enjoyable when the players don't feel the world has all been created to be cosily scaled just for them and everything will be "fair".

It adds versimilitude when every now and then you come across something you just shouldn't f@#% with and need to A) run or B) Tread carefully, run and then come back with an ingenious plan later.

It ain't old school unless you run for life every now and then!

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:58 am
Henchman

Thanks for the responses. I feel better about it now. I like the idea that not everything they face is something they are expected to confront. It adds a dynamic to role play and also makes them consider each encounter instead of charging into everything.

Then again you can't appreciate gain without loss. I need to make sure I don't overdo the angels from the sky to stop TPKs. But at first level I don't mind.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 12:58 pm
Red Cap

Yeah I think a "warning" that things may be a little different this time around in a new game is fair, especially if they were used to carefully graded encounters in other games.

I sometimes throw in a rumour/clue if there IS a really deadly encounter lurking out there, but one only a resourceful party will gain and a lazy one will miss out on.

Quote:
It adds a dynamic to role play and also makes them consider each encounter instead of charging into everything.

Couldn't agree more.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 1:57 pm
Red Cap

...back in my 1e days of running games, I used to do what I termed a "DM giveaway" -- basically, once per game, I'd outright give the players a clue or such when they ran into a puzzle they couldn't solve, etc. And, yeah, sometimes it was: "You're getting beat...you sure you want to continue fighting, or maybe you could do something different?" After that, if they chose to keep fighting a losing fight, I let the dice drop as they would.

Wed Jun 01, 2011 2:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]