View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Wed Oct 23, 2019 1:07 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Chimera's Roost map & text glitches? 
Mist Elf

Post Chimera's Roost map & text glitches?
I bought Chimera's Roost from my FLGS recently, and it has some map & text problems. There are a number of places on the Ground Level where the description doesn't match the map. It's as though some of the rooms on the map have the wrong room numbers on them. Also, GL22 (if I recall correctly) isn't on the map at all, but the description for that area doesn't match the one unlabeled room on the map. And it's not quite clear to me how/where/whether the different hallways between GL4, GL28, and GL15 connect. Ditto for some of the interconnections between levels.

Is there any published errata for this module?

If it matters, I have the 2007 printing of the module, not the 2009 reprint with the differently-colored cover. Does anybody know if the 2009 printing contains fixes for these glitches?

Thanks!

Thu Nov 10, 2011 1:23 am
Mist Elf

Post Re: Chimera's Roost map & text glitches?
I had read only the first half the module when I posted that yesterday. I finished reading the rest of the module last night, and the second half of the module had more problems than the first half :(

I'm pretty disappointed at spending $9 on it :(

If I had spent 15 minutes reading the middle of the module while I was at my FLGS, I wouldn't have bought it :(

I want to like it. I can overlook the manuscript editing problems, and it has some good old-school dungeon elements (multiple factions, multiple paths, no railroad, etc.). But it's badly hamstrung by the "technical" type problems: Mislabeled map rooms (I think), unclear maps, other inconsistencies between the map and text, like things the text mentions as being on the map, but the map not actually having those things. It felt like a rush job to meet a deadline, especially the second half, which had worse editing than the first half. Sigh.

Thu Nov 10, 2011 6:14 pm
Mist Elf

Has anybody else read this module? If yes, did you notice any map/room discrepancies? (Am I going about asking this the wrong way?)

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:17 pm
Battle Stag

Hello Fullerton. I noticed your post over at DF. Sorry you are not getting any responses. Honestly, I haven't seen too many people talk about this module here on these forums. I personally have played in part of the module at a convention some years ago, but I do not own it. I think this module was reprinted with new trade dress about 1.5 years ago. I'm not sure if the material was updated or not for that reprint. Best luck!

~O

Fri Nov 11, 2011 7:49 pm
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

Thanks for the response Omote; I was beginning to wonder if my posts were somehow invisible :)

I just sent a note to the trolls' email address asking for some help, so hopefully they can clear up some of my questions.

Fri Nov 11, 2011 8:19 pm
Ulthal

i never run it but I bought the PDF... So let's see

Copy Paste:

GL 22: This is the shaft mentioned in UL 20 of the UPPER LEVEL. It goes all the way down to the pool room (LL 1) in the LOWER LEVEL. This is a steeply-curved, corkscrew ramp.

So UL20 says

UL 20: This double hexagonal room contains a chute that goes down to the LOWEST LEVEL of the dungeon. The area to the east is empty. The room to the west has a steep, curving platform that descends in a corkscrew fashion all the way down to the lowest level of the dungeon. This chute is inside the staircase in GL 2 of the GROUND LEVEL. It enters right into a pool of brackish water (LL 1 of the LOWER LEVEl).

So I think it is just not a map feature. But is in the area of GL2

The ascends / descends noted on the map for the interconnects are to give it a 3 dimensional aspect I assume. Does you map have these notations?

-Mike

Sat Nov 12, 2011 12:23 am
Profile WWW
Mist Elf

My maps have the ascending/descending notations, but no specific mentions of where the particular hallways lead.

The more I try to make sense of the maps, the more I think your theory about GL22 is not right. I believe GL22 is actually the pentagonal room (incorrectly) marked as GL25 on the map.

I believe the room marked with GL27 on the map is also wrong; it should instead be marked with GL25. But I'm not sure where GL27 actually should be on the map.

I have a feeling the passage marked with GL21 is really supposed to be marked with GL19, based on the text description for GL18. Perhaps GL21 is one of the other two descending spirals, because neither of those other two spirals gives a clue as to where they lead.

Ugh. What a waste of time and money.

Sat Nov 12, 2011 6:56 am
Mist Elf

I scanned the maps at work today. As I was studying them tonight, I made annotations pointing out all the questions I had, the confusing things I found, and some proposed fixes. But I'm sick of thinking about it now; I shouldn't have to do this much work to understand a module I paid money for. Hopefully somebody can get some use out of these annotations and make better sense of the maps than I did:

SPOILERS! If you look at these maps, you'll be ... uh ... looking at the maps. Don't look at them if you want to avoid SPOILERS!

Upper Level: https://flic.kr/p/pAnp65
Ground Level: https://flic.kr/p/pkU79v
Second Level: https://flic.kr/p/pCq7dZ
Lower Level: https://flic.kr/p/pkV2LG

Sat Nov 12, 2011 7:09 am
Lore Drake

Fullerton,

I feel for ya. I've had to redo maps or heavily notate them for DB2 Crater of Umeshti, as well as for U4 Curse of the Khan, and for a few others (can't think of them of the top of my head). In fact for the first adventure in U4, I had to pretty much completely re-draw the maps to make them usable with the text. The Trolls have been great about improving the editing of their text. But they really need to have someone edit the maps, by comparing the text with the maps. Peter Bradley does some great art and the layouts are good too, but his maps frequently cause a CK a lot of hassle. Too often his maps just do not match the text of the modules.

Sun Nov 13, 2011 7:11 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]