New to C&C and Looking for Campaign Advice

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
Corrilwynn
Skobbit

New to C&C and Looking for Campaign Advice

Post by Corrilwynn »

After seeing a video of Davis getting hit in the head with a Dr. Pepper box, I've decided to buy a bunch of stuff from Troll Lord games so he can get a shield or something to more properly defend himself from the abuse he is being subjected to. Only problem is that Stephen will get my money too and may invest in a Dr. Pepper box launcher...

So, for this and many other reasons, I've decided to give Castles & Crusades a try...

I'm trying to make a decision on what campaign to run between the A Series and Haunted Highlands. I can tinker around a bit with the adventure but mostly want to run it as published but try to integrate the city supplements I mention below and maybe some classic OD&D B-series modules.

Planning on purchasing: PHB, CKG, M&T, AWD Folio

Deciding between: Jack of Lies with DB 1-6 (how easy to combine the two?)

or: Town of Kalas with Umbrage Saga (how easy to combine the two?)

Also, are there other products that would enhance the campaign/make it easier to fill in any gaps/provide extra side quests?

I don't have to use Aihrde, but I do love those maps and want to use them! I also have Kalamar and the Mystara Gazetteers.

I would love to have the characters start as residents of some small town on the edge of the world....like the Keep on the Borderlands or Hommlet, etc. I want to make them feel like it is their home and they get drawn into the campaign out of necessity and desire to protect their home.

My group

GM: Me (semi-novice GM with lots of D&D 3.5/Pathfinder experience, I like stories like Dragonlance and the stories about Drizzt from Forgotten Realms, but I prefer stories like Conan, Elric, and Fafhrd & Grey Mouser).
4 players, mostly new to RPGs, one of which is a very intelligent 9 year old.

We hope to do some heavy roleplaying and try to create a comfortable environment to nourish the creativity of the 9 yo. We were playing Pathfinder Rise of the Runelords, but the 9 yo (and some of the older players) were getting bogged down in all the options/rules. I want to take away a bunch of those rules and give them more freedom to be creative, and also to explore the hobby from an earlier/more simple starting point....basic races/classes/monsters rather than the modern tiefling burnmarked mystic theaumaturge of the 3rd order prince of the land of yada yada yada. I want them to become heroes, not start as them.

Can you give advice on which campaign would be the best fit and ways to integrate the products?

Thank you for your time!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: New to C&C and Looking for Campaign Advice

Post by Rigon »

My suggestion, if you want to start the PCs out in a base like area with a bunch of adventure locations, go with DB1-6 and add on the Eskadia(?) since it is in the same setting.

With the DB setting, you get Dirty Bowbe's Roadhouse to start out from and several aventure areas, plus the Crater of Umeshti. You'll get a lot of gaming out of that series and with Eskadia added on, you have a ready made city to adventure in.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

I'd buy it all and combine it all. I already combined the A and DB series back when they were both much younger series. I think only DB 1 to 3 were out, and only A 1 to 5, maybe 6, was out. I found it very easy to do, but I am also very used to ignoring "canon" and bending things to my will.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Corrilwynn
Skobbit

Post by Corrilwynn »

Thanks for the suggestions. I am intrigued by the Haunted Highland series, but my main concern is that I read somewhere the adventures are pretty dark/mature and we are playing with a 9 year old. Is there any truth to these adventures having a dark theme, and if so is it prevalent enough that toning those things down would greatly alter the adventures?

Also, if running either series alone and not adding any encounters to them, would the adventures become too difficult for the pc's, or do you need to add some other ways to get xp? If running both series together would the pc's become too tough for the later adventures?

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Corrilwynn wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I am intrigued by the Haunted Highland series, but my main concern is that I read somewhere the adventures are pretty dark/mature and we are playing with a 9 year old. Is there any truth to these adventures having a dark theme, and if so is it prevalent enough that toning those things down would greatly alter the adventures?

Also, if running either series alone and not adding any encounters to them, would the adventures become too difficult for the pc's, or do you need to add some other ways to get xp? If running both series together would the pc's become too tough for the later adventures?
I am pretty sure I ran just the modules and any random type encounters they had. As for the "Mature themes", those can always be toned down, made more abstract, etc... to make it suitable for young players, if not eliminated completely.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

If you can still get Umbrage Saga, I'd go for that. Essentially, A0-A5 in one box for $20.00. I sold my last two copies at cons for TLG. I'm not the final word on this, but I think it may be soon discontinued (each of the separate modules will be available), or out of stock entirely. Parts A12 and A13 will be released in the future, and there "may" be some sort of volume collecting all 14 parts. I'm just a fanboy selling at a handful of cons, so I don't know nothin'. However, US is well worth 20 bucks, if you can still get one.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

While I love Airdhe as a setting and A1 Blacktooth Ridge is right up there with Homlet and Keep on the Borderlands as a module, I just can't get excited about the location (New Anochia). I much prefer the areas around and including the Drakenfold. And Mortality of Green is one of my favorite adventures.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Corrilwynn
Skobbit

Post by Corrilwynn »

Thanks again everyone for the recommendations. I decided to get Jack of Lies, DB1-6, C1-2, and The Umbrage Saga. I already have the Aihrde folio PDF. I hope to figure out how to use as much of it together as I can.

Oh, and woohoo! I'm beyond excited!!! Run for your lives PCs!!! Mwahahahaha!!!

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Corrilwynn wrote:Thanks again everyone for the recommendations. I decided to get Jack of Lies, DB1-6, C1-2, and The Umbrage Saga. I already have the Aihrde folio PDF. I hope to figure out how to use as much of it together as I can.

Which direction do we run?

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Dracyian wrote:
Corrilwynn wrote:Thanks again everyone for the recommendations. I decided to get Jack of Lies, DB1-6, C1-2, and The Umbrage Saga. I already have the Aihrde folio PDF. I hope to figure out how to use as much of it together as I can.

Away !!! That or when in doubt in circles :lol:
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

finarvyn
Global Moderator

Post by finarvyn »

Treebore wrote:
Corrilwynn wrote:Thanks for the suggestions. I am intrigued by the Haunted Highland series, but my main concern is that I read somewhere the adventures are pretty dark/mature and we are playing with a 9 year old.
I am pretty sure I ran just the modules and any random type encounters they had. As for the "Mature themes", those can always be toned down, made more abstract, etc... to make it suitable for young players, if not eliminated completely.
I agree. Part of the darkness of the modules has to do with the type of monsters encountered, etc, and you can make that dark or not as you like. My group isn't really into creepy sinister stuff, but enjoyed the Haunted Highlands modules as being more spooky than anything else.

For more spooky goodness, you might also check out Jim Ward's "Tainted Lands" boxed set. More horror fun! :D
Marv / Finarvyn
Lord Marshall, Earl of Stone Creek, C&C Society
Just discovered Amazing Adventures and loving it!
MA1E WardenMaster - Killing Characters since 1976, MA4E Playtester in 2006.
C&C Playtester in 2003, OD&D player since 1975

Corrilwynn
Skobbit

Post by Corrilwynn »

Lurker wrote:
Dracyian wrote:

Dear PCs: I am sorry, but there is absolutely nowhere you can run, as explained in this article: http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

*Disclaimer: I do not condone the excessive use of the word 'retarted' in this article.

Dracyian
Unkbartig

Post by Dracyian »

Corrilwynn wrote:
Lurker wrote:
Dracyian wrote:

Dear PCs: I am sorry, but there is absolutely nowhere you can run, as explained in this article: http://www.headinjurytheater.com/article73.htm

*Disclaimer: I do not condone the excessive use of the word 'retarted' in this article.
The bunny raptor I invented seems more intelligent then both the monsters and the author's vocabulary