Module with a challange level 4

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Module with a challange level 4

Post by slimykuotoan »

Does that mean it's for 4th level characters?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Module with a challange level 4

Post by alcyone »

I think it means on average any scaled CLs for skill checks will be 4, or the equivalent of a 4 HD creature. For a 4th level character then, the effective CL balances out vs. their level.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Hmm, I wonder then, what level characters should typically be used in a CL 4 module?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

alcyone
Greater Lore Drake

Post by alcyone »

I am too cynical to believe those metrics are anything but guesses, especially as some modules have different level ranges on the cover, the frontispiece, and the module text.

Some examples though:
S1: Lure of Delusion -- CL 2-4, 6-8 characters of 2nd-4th level.
C1: Mortality of Green -- CL 3-5, 4th-6th (or 4-8 characters of level 3-5 in the text)
C2: Shades of Mist -- CL 4, 4-8 characters of unknown level

But it seems like the intent, yes, is that the module is for at least 4 characters of the given CL, usually the lowest number of players at the highest part of the CL range, and the highest number of players at the lowest part of the CL range.
My C&C stuff: www.rpggrognard.com

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

A challenge level should be within +/- 4 - 6 of the characters so they stand a decent chance of success. If the range is too low (that is, the challenge is 9 or more lower than the PC level, its not very difficult, even if not Prime) and if its too high, they have virtually no chance.

Therefore, my personal recommendation is as noted. So... if you have PCs of 1st level, difficulty of 4 is toward the more extreme for them. I'd shoot for at least 2-3rd level.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Cool. Thanx serleran.