View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Oct 21, 2019 12:08 pm

Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Haunted Highlands Map. What will be described? What won't? 
Mist Elf

Post Haunted Highlands Map. What will be described? What won't?
I like the DB series so far, and I think the map download is quite nice.

I would like to know what areas will ultimately be described, however. I don't need complete information, but I'd like to know what areas I can develop myself without ultimately discovering a conflict.

PLEASE don't reply with 'but you can make it your own...'. That's not the point. There's no need to buy the mods if I have to do tons of work anyway.

Specifically, will any or all of the villages southwest of the Roadhouse be named or developed. If not all will be named/described, which ones will not?

Also, in the most general of terms.... where do the dwarves live? elves?

Thanks in advance for any information.

Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:56 pm
Red Cap

I'd be interested in this too, as I'd like to develop my stuff in this series... enjoying it so far

Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:28 pm
Red Cap

Post What will be developed?
Cool

Here's what i can say

Villages yes. Are in the works. 2 are finished so far, soon to be 3. Tacojohn another Wichitan is helping me with those.

Ruins to the East... those will be developed as well in some fashion, either as parts of the ongoing cycle(s) of adventures or as their own.

Size is currently an issue with publication. Thus the villages may first be released individually as a PDF and then eventually feed into a potential larger book or boxed set.

Without saying "make it your own" smaller bergs, vails, and ville's could and should be included to flesh out the western farmlands.

DB 6 or 7 should detail more about the dwarves. (These will be more exploration of the crater of Umeshti and its underworld surroundings).

Their citadel and town are below and to the west of the crater of umeshti, with the predominant settlement being Fanderberg. Dwarves are uncommon in the Highlands at this time. Some issues came up and they closed camp so to speak to the topside dwellers for some unknown reason. Those who dwell outside of Fanderberg don't talk about it, nor do most of them get along really well with other Fanderbergers.

Elves by and large are exceptionally rare in the Haunted Highlands, causing most who encounter a "true elf" to have experiences of fear or wonder. There are active elves elsewhere in the world but in this neck of the woods they are rare to the extreme, with half elves being somewhat uncommon, and most of them being the product of a union between half elf and half elf.

Amyan Jymoon was once a great elf settlement, now it is an abandoned and allegedly haunted ruin atop bald mountain in the northeast. So haunted that even invading orc forces fear its fastness.

I plan to run some Amyan Jymoon related adventures at Gen Con this year.

Tower of Nesturon will be developed. Peter is working on maps for me in his limited free time.

Halflings dwell mostly in Gilby Hall to the Southwest. They are the most common of the demi human races in the Haunted Highlands but still maintain their own "way of doing things". They are definitely not shire folk however, being brave, stout fighters, and being fairly well respected as equals amongst the humans as expert marksmen. I've got the maps and notes for Gilby Hall done, just need the time to type it all up and turn it all in.

I also have maps and an intent to work on the area of Yorgach's fist.

Gnomes...ugh hahaha

Case

A hint at the plight of the gnomes in the HH setting is included in DB 3.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:44 am
Battle Stag

Fantastic Bowbe! This is some good, good information. Many thanks.
.........................................Omote

FPQ

Thu Apr 12, 2007 12:51 am
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:03 am
Mist Elf

Thu Apr 12, 2007 2:48 pm
Mogrl

Quote:
Gnomes...ugh hahaha

You and your gnome hating. I can't believe you'd be so racist! Gnomes are real people, too! Damn it. :(

Hehe. Maybe a whole new version of the little guys? Pwease... hehe.

Thu Apr 12, 2007 3:00 pm
Maukling

serleran wrote:
You and your gnome hating. I can't believe you'd be so racist! Gnomes are real people, too! Damn it.
Hehe. Maybe a whole new version of the little guys? Pwease... hehe.

Me personally? I'd like to see "Kenny Gnomes". Gnomes with no purpose other than to be readily killed NPC's.

South Park treatment, ya know? Party is trekking along through the wilderness and hear something charging through the forest ahead when from out of the darkness leaps a massive ogre wielding a deadly spiked club. With a powerful downward swing he squishes the gnome.

Elf: You killed Kenny!

Knight: You Bastard!

*ogres runs off*

Yeah, those would be cool gnomes.

Wed May 02, 2007 5:03 am
Greater Lore Drake

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Thu May 03, 2007 11:33 pm
Profile WWW
Ungern

Gnome hatin' aside, I wanted to stop by and say I finally picked up DB 1-3 and was really impressed. Thanks Bowbe for the great adventures and the additional information you posted above. I'm looking at my Erde map and trying to figure out where the Haunted Highlands would work for me.

Fri May 04, 2007 1:09 pm
Greater Lore Drake

I'm thinking about placing it in my own homebrew as a borderland between the Karstlands and Raven Lands.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Fri May 04, 2007 2:10 pm
Profile WWW
Maukling

I should be kicking off my DB campaign tomorrow, using SW instead of C&C rules though. I'm really looking forward to it, the setting looks great.

Fri May 04, 2007 7:51 pm
Maukling

Post Re: What will be developed?
Quote:
Bowbe wrote:
Amyan Jymoon was once a great elf settlement, now it is an abandoned and allegedly haunted ruin atop bald mountain in the northeast. So haunted that even invading orc forces fear its fastness.

I plan to run some Amyan Jymoon related adventures at Gen Con this year.

Some dead thread revivification going on here.
So.....

Any details you can give us on Amyan Jaymoon? Did ya run those adventures at Gen Con last year?

Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:42 pm
Red Cap

I did not. Tho they are on my to do list for completion, along with some sections of the CKG
Will try to keep you posted!

Case

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:00 pm
Maukling

Bah, I can wait for the CKG. Give us some HH goodness.

Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:37 pm
Maukling

How much time has passed since the fall of the Rodensian Empire?

Oh, and I just recently got DB4. Amazingly good stuff.

Fri Aug 29, 2008 1:50 pm
Battle Stag

DangerDwarf wrote:
How much time has passed since the fall of the Rodensian Empire?

Oh, and I just recently got DB4. Amazingly good stuff.

Total theory on my part, but it seems as if the author is going to wait until the HH Folio Edition to break out all of the details. Though, more background of this setting would be very welcome.

-O

Tue Sep 16, 2008 2:23 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Although some ambiguity would be nice so each CK can decide that. IMC Rhodesia fell just about 60 years ago but others may want longer.

Tue Sep 16, 2008 3:28 pm
Profile WWW
Reply to topic   [ 18 posts ]