View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Aug 22, 2019 8:59 am

Reply to topic  [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
DB1 Haunted Highlands 
Battle Stag

Post DB1 Haunted Highlands
I just got a copy of DB1 in the mail today (thanks again Trolls) and I like what I see. The first thing of note is the great idea of the background on the front and back cover. The covers of Haunted Highlands features a map of the author's setting set in the background, much like Erde is in the background of the PHB, M&T, etc. A classy style decision.

As for the module itself, well it's too short! By that I mean that I need to see more, like now. The module's setting feels like a northern Hinterland, of an almost "forgotten realm." I really like the classic, northern, almost "viking-esque" feel to the setting. I know that's probably a bad way to describe it (sorry Casey), but that's the impression I got, and I like it that way.

I'm wondering if the author has any plans to release additional information regarding the setting? Possibly a .pdf or a small section of the TLG site with more info to find on the setting. I realize that there are many more modules yet to be released in the DB series, but when you are a fan of settings like I am, you need to get all the info you can.

Also, what a treat it would be to have the whole map of the Haunted Highlands setting in one place. The map artwork is basic, but nice, but it's chopped up in DB1 one showing you the relevant sections needed in the module. That is understandable, but I took the time to really take a close look at the map as it's featured on the covers of DB1. There's a lot of detail on that map that we certainly arent getting in this first module of the series. Anyways...

Back on track now, overall I really like how Haunted Highlands is shaping up. Now to dive back into the module, and read all of the little details.

.............................................Omote

FPQ

Thu Jul 20, 2006 3:30 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

I have this on order at my FLGS, but I really like Omotes ideas on a map and more background info.

Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:43 pm
Red Cap

Yeah bigger maps to come no doubt. The cover layout was Peter's Idea (to do the big ol map as the back piece to his awesome artwork).

More info will become available I promise. Editing on Dro Mandras...

The Key here is that books about the surface of the highlands will include more details about areas in those environs.

Places below the surface will have details about things going on below...

As they unfold you should get a rich mixture of both to fill your campaigning needs.

Case

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:45 am
Maukling

Post Re: DB1 Haunted Highlands
Ill check with Steve whether it's cool to put the map up as a PDF. ^_^

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:15 am
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

Since my store-based Bard's Gate campaign was put on ice, I've decided that it's looking like a Haunted Highlands campaign might be in order. I think Dirty's will be a good place to base a store campaign from, and get more people to look at C&C. The rough and tumble Haunted Highlands with barbarians, ruthless mercenaries, and ancient mysteries will be an easy sell to such a crowd.

I'll probably wait until DB2 is released before I dive into this venture though.

..........................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:21 pm
Profile WWW
Battle Stag

Although, now that I think about it DB1 won't be enough to get the characters up to 3-5th level so they can tackle the Crater of Umeshti. Some small side-adventuires will be in order.

*thinking*

..........................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 2:25 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Davis and Steve have both written some great low level stuff. Have they played the Assault on Blacktooth Ridge or Shining Knight yet?

Likewise a lot of their much older stuff is very suitable for low level C&C characters.

I admit I probably make the mistake when designing adventures of crafting them a little bit "tough" mainly because my playtest groups tend to play really tough characters. So when my adventures come out for publication they have to be level adjusted a level or two higher than the fine people I run for... so for me writing for an everyman party of standard 1st-3rd level guys doesn't work too well.

If you haven't checked out the adventures I mentioned they could be of some use. Otherwise I'll have to think of something hehehe.

Case

Mon Jul 24, 2006 3:57 pm
Red Cap

Crater is designed for repeated attempts at its depths. It is assumed of course that adventurers go in, come out, go back several times in order to plumb its secrets from the bowels of the earth. They may level up just getting to the crater as there are challenges to face between the crater, the bowl and the actual sinkhole itself.

I know the Trolls are furiously working on getting this thing put together and out the door!

Peace

Case

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:02 pm
Battle Stag

Sweet. I may throw in Keep on the Borderlands as part of the Haunted Highlands experience, but some of the players may have already played that mod once, twice, or more times. I guess I can always come up with some small adventures for mercs/adventurers escourting caravans and whatnot as described in DB1... those are usually good for in-store campaigns ~ but I need a hook. Something out of the ordinary to make THIS caravan job special. Something that hooks very well into the Haunted Highlands...

.........................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:16 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

I have this ordered now, just waiting on the call from the FLGS. I was working on a homebrew for my next campaign, but now I'm waiting to get a look at HH first, and see if the adventurers I intend to run mesh well with the setting.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 5:53 pm
Unkbartig

This product sounds awesome. I can't wait for my FLGS order to come in.

Mon Jul 24, 2006 6:31 pm
Red Cap

I recently got this module in pdf, and am tempted to order a proper 'real' copy of it because I like it so much.
Having said that, I am going to rant about one thing:

Quote:
Omote wrote:
... The map artwork is basic ...

I have to say that I was quite disappointed with the 'regional map' in DB1.

While it is a 'pretty picture' -- perhaps appropriate for giving players as a representation of what their characters might know about the region -- it is not very useful for actual gaming. In terms of representation, it is far too abstract/vague. In addition, there is no scale! What the hell?! A regional map with no scale (even only a 'suggested scale') makes no sense.

If I were to GM this a game using DB1 'as is', I would have to get some hex paper and make my own map in order to actually use the setting. (In addition, many of the site maps are also inadequate for 'actual use' IMO.)

In general, I have been quite disappointed in the quality of regional (overland) maps in the C&C modules that I have purchased. While attractive enough, they are hard to use for gaming. Utility should trump aesthetics when it comes to maps, IMO.

The only really useful 'regional map' is the one that was included with the revised version of A0 (the pdf for 'Rising Knight'). That map uses a hex scale and clearly identifiable terrain symbols. Since it seems to cover all the A series, the fact that the other maps in the A series aren't very useful is not a big deal. But no such map seems to be available for the DB series (yet).

I'm sorry for ranting about this. I guess I'm old fashioned in wanting to use hex paper for my games, and forcing the players to 'map' their way through the wilderness.

Also, since I will not be using the DB1 setting as described -- I'm far more likely to simply 'reinsert' the Roadhouse and various adventure sites as appropriate, and not use the 'Highlands' background for my campaign -- my gripe here is largely academic, at least for my own gaming. But the lack of focus on utility in many game products these days (not just TLG) is one of my main complaints of RPG products these days.

Okay, that rant out of the way, let me end on a positive note by reaffirming my overall very favourable impression of this module, and the fact that I will definitely use the 'roadhouse' and some of the adventure locations in a future campaign. I look forward to additional modules in the DB series!

Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:29 am
Ulthal

Like Akrasia I will be using various elements of this module. The Roadhouse and the little adventures, taken separately are awesome and will fit in well in any campaign. As a module, it needed to be bigger and more developed. It was almost 'too barebones'. IMO, it had the potential to be a 'Keep on the Borderlands', but needed more meat.

-George Washington

Sat Jul 29, 2006 12:38 pm
Red Cap

I feel you guys. The only problem I run into writing these is the limit and restriction I run into in writing these is the limit to page count. With C&C I can pack more stuff into locations due to shorter stat blocks and a removal of most inane "encounter description" that MUST be in a 3.5 product. All of that can be cut down to a "Challenge Level" check and the itinerant prime that goes with it.

That said fear not, the other books all expand on areas of the HH. HH is a starting point and the way you guys are planning on using it is exactly how I invision its use. Parts to be added to your own creations.

As to the map. I like it, but I see where you are coming from. Hexes can make things easier. Peter and I discussed this over the weekend and we think we have some solutions to keep our fans happy!

Very soon you will get the "Gods of the Highlands." Literally as soon as we have some artwork to fill out that chapter that got sliced for space. I believe it will be 100% free!

2nd. A couple versions of the big map (and even bigger maps in future supplements that feature more of the Highlands and the Duchy and their Wilderness areas). I'm pushing for a hex free "player map" and a hex'ed one for easy use in measuring. That way you can slap in additional dungeons, locations and lairs on the map wherever you need to for book-keeping/referencing. I am told these maps will also be free and should be to you in a short time. (With Gen Con coming up the enhancements may be shortly after that as we are all busy getting prepared for the show... the next 2 weeks will be hectic for certain!)

You deserve a little background to the design philosophy on the DB series and it isn't a "mistake" or something we missed or forgot or any after thought. Davis and I cooked up a cool concept that didn't meet full fruition for a couple of factors. The main factor being someone else having a similar but different idea than ours and beating us to the gaming table with theirs (because they are owned by a large toy company with lots of production money to burn on clever concepts).

Initially the idea WAS to have this map itself be one big hex. with smaller hexes in it. The idea that Davis and I had kicked around when he first approached me about doing C&C stuff was to have the modules and their surrounding areas each take place on a hex.

Then you (the GM) could slap the hexes together as products came out and characters explored their environment to create an ever expanding map... anywhere you wanted to put them! Ultimately you would have had your own unique campaign map! A cool idea but hey, not all cool ideas really work the way you want them to! Such is the trouble in designing game products for the masses. You have to make sure you can please everyone, not just those who are interested in gimmicks!

Anyhow, this is why when you read the in text descriptions of where things are in relation to one another, they are given in a "distance from the roadhouse" and that distance is broken down in days of travel by whatever means of transport the PCs may have available.

I still like that original concept, so in designing the DB series I retained that core idea of expanding the borders of the PCs world through exploration, with the roadhouse serving as a "safehouse" in the rough and tumble setting and other locations being given as a "distance from the roadhouse" as the yardstick for adventure.

I also understand what it is like to get a piece of something and really WANT the other parts ASAP! I had that feeling years ago with the Deserts of Desolation Modules, when I had to wait for the sequals of that great trilogy to come out!

Luckily TLG has a lot of talented authors, several of them creating adventures that easily blend together so doing things like placing the HH in Airde or Yggsburg, the Wilderlands of High Fantasy, or your preferred pre-packaged/homebrew is pretty easy. Including other cool modules into the mix and finding a place to smack them on the map isn't too hard either!

I'll be honest. I WANT you to use HH, AND I want you to use other stuff to make it your own rich adventure/setting! Of course I would prefer you use other C&C adventures even if i didn't write them!

Crater of Umeshti 1 and 2 should be out in the not too distant future and we already have a place for that to fit on the map, and tie ins included in those levels of the famed sinkhole have effects and folk in the HH who need the things uncovered in the sinkhole are already mixed right in!

The Same holds true for Dro Mandras 1 and 2 and other subsequent releases that will expand the map (both above and below ground) and most certainly give your characters a LOT more to do!

Case

Mon Jul 31, 2006 2:46 pm
Battle Stag

Normally, I would also not favor the bare-bones approach to this mini-setting. However, it seemed clear from the beginning that there was to be many modules set within the Haunted Highlands, and ultimately a pretty well fleshed out mini-setting.

I'm glad to hear that there will be 2 products featuring Dro Madras, as it seems like one 24 page module wouldn't cover it.

The bare-bones approch to HH has personally worked for me so far as it nearly fits into my homebrew with little modification. I guess I just got lucky in this regard.

Here's wishing much success to future installments of HH. Because I know I'll be bugging Casey all I can for more information on this setting should it not be provided.
........................................Omote

FPQ

Mon Jul 31, 2006 4:32 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Quote:
I'm glad to hear that there will be 2 products featuring Dro Madras, as it seems like one 24 page module wouldn't cover it.

Correct. In editing it occured that the small troubled city is two distinct halves and needs both parts to fully realize my concept of what it is all about.

Case

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:02 pm
Mogrl

I'm thinking of using the Roadhouse as a sort of roving location, found any place, any time, sort of like the World Serpent Inn... will think more on it, and see if that's the sort of thing that will be of use in the game or not.

Mon Jul 31, 2006 5:04 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Quote:
gideon_thorne wrote:
Ill check with Steve whether it's cool to put the map up as a PDF. ^_^

Any news on this yet?

I got mine today and I like it but I do have the same issue with the maps and I hope that this sees expansion in products and in free online stuff as well.

Very nice work Case. Can't wait to see more.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Mon Jul 31, 2006 6:35 pm
Profile WWW
Lore Drake

Quote:
Quote:
Very soon you will get the "Gods of the Highlands." Literally as soon as we have some artwork to fill out that chapter that got sliced for space. I believe it will be 100% free!

8)

Free is always good.

Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:56 pm
Unkbartig

Got my copy yesterday. Looks awesome and very useable. The art is top-knotch. This definitely will get used in my campaign.

I've got this image of the north of my homebrew forming, with the Highlands, Keep on the Borderlands, and Bard's Gate, with a frozen wilderness even farther to the north. Now the question is, how will it all work?

Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:18 pm
Lore Drake

Picked mine up today, hopefully I'll get a chance to look over this over the weekend.

Thu Aug 03, 2006 10:25 pm
Henchman

Post Where is the Haunted Highlands?
Where in Aihrde are the Haunted Highlands?

Are the HH gods that will be available for download Aihrde gods or brand new ones?

Thanks

Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:38 pm
Clang lives!

Post Re: Where is the Haunted Highlands?
Quote:
damon wrote:

Are the HH gods that will be available for download Aihrde gods or brand new ones?

Thanks

I don't believe HH is set in Aihrde, as it is not an A series module. I think it is supposed to be a mini campaign setting, with following modules adding info to it.

R-

My Game Threads

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:12 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Post Re: Where is the Haunted Highlands?
Quote:
damon wrote:

Thanks

Welcome, damon!
New deities. Here's a blurb from the press release:

Quote:
Quote:
The Haunted Highlands includes four short adventures for varying character levels and offers a stand alone fantasy roll playing setting ready to be dropped into any campaign.. Extensive random encounter tables allow for continuing wilderness adventure. Details on a brand new pantheon featuring over a dozen new deities and one new monster help bring life to your new Castles and Crusades campaign.

Aihrde is such a large and rich world that I can see this mod fitting in well.

And, as Rigon says, so much more info will be forthcoming from the subsequent modules.

Enjoy. 8)

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:37 pm
Henchman

Post HH Deities
The deities are not in the book. Hopefully the download will be ready soon. The book states that it is on rpgnow.com but it is not there yet.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 pm
Cleric of Zagyg

Post Re: HH Deities
Quote:
damon wrote:
The deities are not in the book. Hopefully the download will be ready soon. The book states that it is on rpgnow.com but it is not there yet.

Ahh, right you are. Sorry, I reread Bowbe's earlier post in this thread where he mentions that section got cut for space.

Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:49 pm
Henchman

The stuff that is in the Haunted Highlands is pretty damn cool. I will be running this at some point, too busy with the A series right now.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:41 am
Mogrl

I'm hopefully gaming with Case the rest of the weekend here at GenCOn. Any specific questions about Highlands you would like me ot ask?

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:46 am
Greater Lore Drake

Treebore wrote:
I'm hopefully gaming with Case the rest of the weekend here at GenCOn. Any specific questions about Highlands you would like me ot ask?

When will we get to see the full map?

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:49 am
Profile WWW
Maukling

Finally ordered this last night, now I just wait.......

Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:44 pm
Reply to topic   [ 95 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next