HH DB1 - Question about Ruins of Bortenski

All things about the Haunted Highlands!
thwill
Skobbit

HH DB1 - Question about Ruins of Bortenski

Post by thwill »

Hello folks.

I've bought DB1 to kick off my first game of C&C and having read it, I've found myself with an inconsistency that I'm hoping somebody can resolve for me:

The fluff for "The Ruins of Bortenski" encounter describes the village as having been "decimated to a man when Yorgach brought his forces through this region en route to East Dro Mandras."

Given just the information in DB1 and the map available from the Troll Lords website I have difficulty resolving this my assumption that Yorgach's forces came from the east (Yorgach's Hammer) and are thus unlikely to have passed through Bortenski.

Thanks, Tom

Bowbe
Red Cap

Post by Bowbe »

Agreed, i wrote it, and its a bit confusing. Best thing to assume here is that a raiding party of orcs, hobgoblins, and goblins crossed the ford here, and destroyed the village before being sent fleeing by local millitia from the roadhouse, rangers, druids from the grove of the green man, and ugashtan barbarians.

When the Fields of Battle rules come out later this year there is a "battle of the roadhouse" feauring a similar composition of allied forces vs. a similar sized combat force of orcs and their companions.

It wouldnt take too many armed enemies to ruin a weakly defended village.

Case

thwill
Skobbit

Post by thwill »

Thanks Case that does nicely as an explanation.

From reading it I think we're going to have a lot of fun with this module and look forward to buying more DB stuff; that is assuming the players don't decide to mess it up completely ... their idea of a balanced C&C party is 3 barbarians
Tom

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

thwill wrote:
From reading it I think we're going to have a lot of fun with this module and look forward to buying more DB stuff; that is assuming the players don't decide to mess it up completely ... their idea of a balanced C&C party is 3 barbarians

Would Dirty have it any other way?
-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

thwill
Skobbit

Post by thwill »

With a combined WISdom of about 18.

I suspect it's going to end up playing something like an episode of "Captain Caveman".

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Post by gideon_thorne »

thwill wrote:
With a combined WISdom of about 18.

I suspect it's going to end up playing something like an episode of "Captain Caveman".

*chuckles*

An encounter so simple even a Barbarian can do it... *ducks and slinks off*

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach