Engineering Dungeons

Discussions on all the print published, pdf, free pdf, fan site modules and adventures.
GameOgre
Ulthal

Engineering Dungeons

Post by GameOgre »

I know this isnt a module but it is put out for C&C and in that format. Hope this is the right section.

I bought this last week and to be honest I wasn't expecting anything grand or new as I have read tons of this type of thing in the past as well as created my own from time to time. When I got it and saw how thin it was I flipped through it and nodded my head and tossed it on my bookcase and didn't pick it up again for a few days.

Then as I was creating a adventure for my group and needed a new dungeon crawl(and had nothing in mind) I thought of it again.

Pulling it out I gave it a quick read and found it better than I first thought. The attention to detail and sheer random options was huge also the work was directly for C&C and so the many tables and creatures worked great with Monsters and Treasures!. I decided to give it a try and created a dungeon with the book alone. After finishing and adding a few touches myself I found that i had created a worthy dungeon far differant than the type I normally throw together.

After playing it last night with my group I am happy to say that my fun and the adventure wouldnt have been as well thought out or as creative without it.

Great job Mr. Doyel! I'm happy to have spent my money on your work!

Subscriber to Crusader Magazine!
http://www.cncsociety.org

GameOgre
Ulthal

Post by GameOgre »

Also for those of you without this work. Right now its on sale! Go buy it!

Subscriber to Crusader Magazine!
http://www.cncsociety.org

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Thank you for the kind words. I hope you continue to enjoy the work and use it for whatever needs you might have. I'm also interested in seeing any dungeons actually created with it, beside my own.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

That is exactly why I like products like this, it helps me go outside my comfort zone and do things I normally would not do. So whenever I feel in a rut I pull out products like this one, the 1E DMG, Toolbox, ultimate Toolbox, Mother of all Encounter Tables, Mother of all Treasure Tables, etc...

So that is why I bought this too, because when I am in a rut and want to break out of it I can't have too much help and inspiration.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Serl, my "Ruins of Ramat" adventure is a small, 15 room dungeon crawl that I created by staring with your "Engineering Dungeons."

Email me and I'll send you a copy of it:
[email protected]

John Adams

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Thank you Coleston. Email sent.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

I've never had anything but high praise for this fine accessory.

I'm glad others are discovering its value as well.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

When I bought it I figured I wasnt going to use it. MrsCharlie was taking over CKing and it was her first campaign she was starting. So I wanted to help her without ruining any surprises for me. I remembered when I first started making dungeons and how much I loved random tables. Well, MrsCharlie got along just fine with her campaign and used Engineering so much I may have to get a replacement copy soon.

Know your roll!

Ronicus

Post by Ronicus »

Just got my copy today. Well thought out. Ellegant and easy to use. I think I need a PDF copy. This thing's going to get a LOT of use.

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Again, thanks to all who have found this little book useful. The best compliment one can ever receive is that the book has been worn and needs replacement. I hope future works in like vein receive the same sort of appeal.

dachda
Lore Drake

Post by dachda »

serleran wrote:
Again, thanks to all who have found this little book useful. The best compliment one can ever receive is that the book has been worn and needs replacement. I hope future works in like vein receive the same sort of appeal.

What is the status with Engineering Cities? Is it a case of bugging you to get the manuscript to Steve, or bugging Steve (after CKG is out) to publish it all ready? Looking forward to your own independent label stuff too.

Margrave and Knight of Portlandia
Castles & Crusades Society

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

dachda wrote:
What is the status with Engineering Cities? Is it a case of bugging you to get the manuscript to Steve, or bugging Steve (after CKG is out) to publish it all ready? Looking forward to your own independent label stuff too.

Serl hinted in the recent chat that he is still working on it. Something about charts, I believe.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Frost
Beer Giant Jarl

Post by Frost »

Sign me up for any more items in the "Engineering" series. As I've said before, Engineering Dungeons is a fantastic resource and vastly under-rated by the gaming community. I almost wish it had been released as a system neutral product. Maybe it would have gotten more attention then.

Baron of the Pitt
Castles & Crusades Society
The Dungeoneering Dad

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

Engineering Cities has been placed on hold while another, at the request of Steve, has been moved forward. There may be some sort of official announcement regarding it after GenCon, but do not expect such for some time... but work is being done. I just hope it serves those who use it well. It will be a very nice foundation for expanding the game, I think... thinking in ways that one may not have before, which is what any SIEGE Gear should do.

Zudrak
Lore Drake

Post by Zudrak »

serleran wrote:
Engineering Cities has been placed on hold while another, at the request of Steve, has been moved forward. There may be some sort of official announcement regarding it after GenCon, but do not expect such for some time... but work is being done. I just hope it serves those who use it well. It will be a very nice foundation for expanding the game, I think... thinking in ways that one may not have before, which is what any SIEGE Gear should do.

This will be a welcome addition to my gaming library. The 1e and 3e rules for city-building work for now but based on E.D. and viewing your posts around the interwebs, I am sure you've come up with an intriguing alternate way of doing the same thing. I shall keep my eyes peeled.

"Galstaff, ye are in a cornfield, when a moustachioed man approaches. What say ye?"

"I shun him."

-----

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

-- E. Gary Gygax
Psalm 73:26

"Knowledge, logic, reason, and common sense serve better than a dozen rule books."

"Rules not understood should have appropriate questions directed to the publisher; disputes with the Dungeon Master are another matter entirely. THE REFEREE IS THE FINAL ARBITER OF ALL AFFAIRS OF HIS OR HER CAMPAIGN."
-- E. Gary Gygax

CharlieRock

Post by CharlieRock »

Oooooo .... more Engineering books.
Engineering NPCs

Engineering Temples

Engineering Islands and Docks

Engineering Planes

Engineering Women

Engineering ...er ... I should stop.

Know your roll!

Sir Osis of Liver
Unkbartig

Post by Sir Osis of Liver »

serleran wrote:

You know, this is among the most interesting sentiments I've read about any game in a long time. I can't think of any instance off the top of my head in which a game designer pitched a product not as some mindless splat simply designed to get the customer to drop the cash to buy it, billing it as an expansion of the core rules, but instead as an attempt to get the creative juices of the player/CK flowing. Long live the Trolls!