View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Sat Dec 14, 2019 2:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 25 posts ] 
A4 - Usurpers of the Fell Axe - Missing Character Info 
Ungern

Post A4 - Usurpers of the Fell Axe - Missing Character Info
Does anyone out there have the Character Stats for Baron Dietbold Heimer and his cabal 'handler', Nefrous Iout? Even a CC created 'best guess' would be appreciated.

Not to be picky, but these guys are the two main protagonists that the party has to deal with. Why aren't they described in the module?

Thanks,

Willy

Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:13 am
Lore Drake

Depends on the level and composition of your party. When I ran it the party was all 5-7 level. I made Dietbold a level 10 level. I went that high only because the party was playing relatively smart and had two high AC tanks up front. If I went with a level 5+ I feared I would not threaten the two tanks enough to make the encounter worth while. For this reason, I went with a higher level bad guy hoping for a 40% hit rate. Either way the tanks dropped old Diet in about 3 rounds.

Neferout Iout (SP?) I did the same thing. Made him high level, but was aware that a high level caster could wipe out the group with two or three spells, so I picked some defensive spells that would make it difficult for the party to him and gave Iout an objective that once accomplish other than killing the party outright. This gave me a reason to allow Iout to escape and become a reoccuring villian. The party is finally running into signs that his working against them while they explore the temple in A3

Yes we are out of order but I have allowed the party to determine what order they tackle objectives in. My party completed the A series in the following order A1, A4, A2, and now wrapping up A3. I have kept to the general plot line of the modules but have had to greatly modify events, encounters, and etc. in the modules and add my own stuff to account for the players actions. I am trying hard (sometimes successfully and sometimes not) to allow the players to determine what occurs next. If the party opts to abandon their attempt at raiding the temple in A3 and instead go explore the world, I will just have to adapt.

Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:24 pm
Ungern

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's nice to be able to count on other C&C players/keepers to share their ideas and experiences.

One question still remains though. It must be my aging eyes, but I can find no mention as to what Charater Class either the Baron or Iout are supposed to be.

Baron Dietbold, because he is wielding the fell axe, is probably classed as a Fighter. But his Captain of the Guard (von Graff) is a Ranger 7. His personal body guard (Crule) is a Monk 4. So there is nothing certain here. If he is a high level, as you suggest, would you equip him with some equally high magic items as well? Armour? Rings?

Likewise, Iout the leader of the "cabal of priests" (Clerics?) is able to create Flesh Golems (p.18) and also escape by teleporting from his chambers (p.20). This would lead me to believe he is a Wizard of at least 9th level if he is teleporting without some form of device. Then again, there are cabal priests (Cleric 5 & 4) and acolytes (all Cleric 2) who reside in the Sanctum beneath the castle.

All very confusing. It would have been so much easier if the module has just included this vital information in the first place.

Like you, I am using the module out of sequence not having used any of the previous A1-A3 modules. My players are just 3rd Level right now so I wll let them build up some strength before pitting them against the Baron. My idea is to have the players just pass through Ludenshiem on the way to an adventure in the dangerous lands beyond the town (the Golden Familar module from the CK Screen). From there I was hoping they would use Ludensheim as a base of operations - perhaps to try out the Shattered Horn A5 module or get further involved in the town politics of A4.

Thanks again for your reply,

Willy

Sat Nov 14, 2009 3:12 am
Lore Drake

Willy Rat wrote:
nwelte1,

Thanks for the prompt reply. It's nice to be able to count on other C&C players/keepers to share their ideas and experiences.

One question still remains though. It must be my aging eyes, but I can find no mention as to what Charater Class either the Baron or Iout are supposed to be.

Baron Dietbold, because he is wielding the fell axe, is probably classed as a Fighter. But his Captain of the Guard (von Graff) is a Ranger 7. His personal body guard (Crule) is a Monk 4. So there is nothing certain here. If he is a high level, as you suggest, would you equip him with some equally high magic items as well? Armour? Rings?

Likewise, Iout the leader of the "cabal of priests" (Clerics?) is able to create Flesh Golems (p.18) and also escape by teleporting from his chambers (p.20). This would lead me to believe he is a Wizard of at least 9th level if he is teleporting without some form of device. Then again, there are cabal priests (Cleric 5 & 4) and acolytes (all Cleric 2) who reside in the Sanctum beneath the castle.

All very confusing. It would have been so much easier if the module has just included this vital information in the first place.

Like you, I am using the module out of sequence not having used any of the previous A1-A3 modules. My players are just 3rd Level right now so I wll let them build up some strength before pitting them against the Baron. My idea is to have the players just pass through Ludenshiem on the way to an adventure in the dangerous lands beyond the town (the Golden Familar module from the CK Screen). From there I was hoping they would use Ludensheim as a base of operations - perhaps to try out the Shattered Horn A5 module or get further involved in the town politics of A4.

Thanks again for your reply,

Willy

I had Iout at level 10 Wiz and the Baron at level 7 (thought I had him at 10 but i checked my campaign file and I had him at 7l. Baron had the Fell Axe which is a nasty weapon anyways. One of my players now has it... poor fool. The Baron had the items in his room (Area 4, see page 13). I did not optimize his items.

Iout had the following but no longer does:

Staff of Evocation

Ring of protection +3

Robe of Archmagi (Black)

He also had and the following spells memorized:

0: Detect Magic, Light, Mage Hand, Open/Close, Arcane Mark; Endure Elements

1: Change Self, Charm Person, Sleep, Magic Missle, Feather Fall, Burning Hands

2: Acid Arrow, Darkness, Invisibility, Mirror Image, Scare

3: Fireball, Haste, Dispel Magic, Nondetection

4: Confusion, Dimension Door, Frost Shield

5: Teleport, Summon Monster

6: ???????????

and ton of other spells in his book. I purposefully stayed away from save or die effects, Magic Jar, Polymorph and other spells that would out right remove one player from the encounter in one shot. Instead, Iout had a goal and for that reason he needed the party to survive but still burn some resources. His spell list and item list has changed substantially. I find the that Black Libram is a nice addition. If you don't have that book, I strongly suggest you pick it up. It has some down right nasty things in it. (Although, every time I have tried to use something from that book the characters make their saves.)

The Ranger was the biggest challenge for the party. They entered his room trying to get the jump on the tower guards and were instead ambushed. The Ranger nearly wasted the entire party. It did not help that guards kept pouring into the central tower from the guard quarters. My party entered from the sewer and the cellar.

The monk was a disappointment. In hindsight I would have upped his level or given him some levels of wiz or maybe some companions in the same room as him. He does have the staff of frost, but he can not use it unless you allow no casters to use staffs or give him levels of wiz.

Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:38 am
Hlobane Orc

The information for the stats of the major NPC's has been requested since the module came out; I don't know why the trolls won't give us an answer. It would be nice to have the proper stats that were originally intended.

Cheers

IMP

Wed Nov 18, 2009 10:30 am
Greater Lore Drake

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Wed Nov 18, 2009 11:53 am
Greater Lore Drake

I talked to Davis about this some time ago, and I believe his justification for not including the actual stats was what was previously mentioned. Not knowing the level spread of the party of adventurers he did not want to cement it in stone as they may come in contact so he left it up to the CK to customize the adventure.

That said, i know there are stats for them around here somewhere as he killed one of my characters in that adventure.

He's in the office at some point today, I'll bug him about it and try to get something posted today or tomorrow.

Thanks!

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:56 pm
Hlobane Orc

Sorry if I sounded a bit abrupt

Cheers buddy

IMP

Wed Nov 18, 2009 6:27 pm
Hlobane Orc

Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:25 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Davis is looking for his original concept notes. He muttered something about they should be fighting the baron. But i reminded him that when we released Into the Unknown some convention party actually shrank the princess after they rescued her, put her in a bottle and ransomed her back to the town.

Always expect the unexpected.

So he's getting this together, hopefully tonight.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
troll@trolllord.com

Steve Chenault, President & CEO of Chenault & Gray Publishing, Troll Lord Games

Tue Nov 24, 2009 6:32 pm
Hlobane Orc

The monk was a disappointment. In hindsight I would have upped his level or given him some levels of wiz or maybe some companions in the same room as him. He does have the staff of frost, but he can not use it unless you allow no casters to use staffs or give him levels of wiz.[/quote]

What I'll be doing for that is to have the staff do 1d6 or d8 cold damage instead.

IMP

Tue Nov 24, 2009 9:48 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Troll Lord wrote:
... i reminded him that when we released Into the Unknown some convention party actually shrank the princess after they rescued her, put her in a bottle and ransomed her back to the town.

Always expect the unexpected.

Steve

That's priceless! THere was a Knights of the Dinner table like that, one of the guys was like, "let not change the princess back from a frog. Do you know how much money we can make charging admission to see a talking frog?"

ROFLMAO!

http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:43 pm
Maukling

ChaosImp wrote:
THe does have the staff of frost, but he can not use it unless you allow no casters to use staffs or give him levels of wiz.

What I'll be doing for that is to have the staff do 1d6 or d8 cold damage instead.

IMP

There's actually no bar to a non spell caster using a staff.

Peter Bradley

"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Tue Nov 24, 2009 11:50 pm
Profile WWW
Ulthal

Dietbold Heimer (He is a neutral lawful evil human 7th level fighter whose vital stats are: HD 7d10, AC 20, and HP 65. His primary attributes are strength, dexterity and constitution. His significant attributes are strength 14, dexterity 16 and charisma 14. He wears +1 scale mail, carries a +1 shield of stunning and uses the Fell Axe in combat see that magic items description for details. He wears a necklace worth 50gp, three rings worth 100gp each, a jeweled belt worth 200gp and a small metal crown with a single emerald in it worth 1000gp.
Special abilities: Dietbolds excessive paranoia has made him nearly impossible to surprise or take unawares and it has increased his sense of danger, generally increasing his ability to ward off attacks. All hide or move silent attempts are made at a -5 when Dietbold has a chance of detecting them. A sneak attack minimally requires a wisdom check against Dietbold at -5. Flank attacks do not receive a bonus and a back attack bonus to hit is only +1. The shield of stunning can be used as a weapon and if a successful hit is made it delivers 1d6 damage and stuns the person for 1d4 rounds such that they can not act but stumble around.)

only slightly edited

Wed Nov 25, 2009 2:58 am
Cleric of Zagyg

cleaverthepit wrote:
I found my original Dietbold Heimer:
Dietbold Heimer (He is a neutral lawful evil human 7th level fighter whose vital stats are: HD 7d10, AC 20, and HP 65. His primary attributes are strength, dexterity and constitution. His significant attributes are strength 14, dexterity 16 and charisma 14. He wears +1 scale mail, carries a +1 shield of stunning and uses the Fell Axe in combat see that magic items description for details. He wears a necklace worth 50gp, three rings worth 100gp each, a jeweled belt worth 200gp and a small metal crown with a single emerald in it worth 1000gp.

Special abilities: Dietbolds excessive paranoia has made his nearly impossible to surprise or take unawares and increased his senses of danger, generally increasing his ability to ward of attacks. All hide or move silent attempts are made at a -5 when Dietbold has a chance of detecting them. A sneak attack minimally requires a wisdom check against Dietbold at -5. Flank attacks do not receive a bonus and a back attack bonus to hit is only +1. The shield of stunning can be used as a weapon and if a successful hit is made it delivers 1d6 damage and stuns the person for 1d4 rounds such that they can not act but stumble around.)

only slightly edited

Excellente, Davis!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 am
Mogrl

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:01 am
Ulthal

steve had to explain your reference to me serleran

Wed Nov 25, 2009 3:09 am
Hlobane Orc

cleaverthepit wrote:
I found my original Dietbold Heimer:
Dietbold Heimer (He is a neutral lawful evil human 7th level fighter whose vital stats are: HD 7d10, AC 20, and HP 65. His primary attributes are strength, dexterity and constitution. His significant attributes are strength 14, dexterity 16 and charisma 14. He wears +1 scale mail, carries a +1 shield of stunning and uses the Fell Axe in combat see that magic items description for details. He wears a necklace worth 50gp, three rings worth 100gp each, a jewelled belt worth 200gp and a small metal crown with a single emerald in it worth 1000gp.

Special abilities: Dietbolds excessive paranoia has made his nearly impossible to surprise or take unawares and increased his senses of danger, generally increasing his ability to ward of attacks. All hide or move silent attempts are made at a -5 when Dietbold has a chance of detecting them. A sneak attack minimally requires a wisdom check against Dietbold at -5. Flank attacks do not receive a bonus and a back attack bonus to hit is only +1. The shield of stunning can be used as a weapon and if a successful hit is made it delivers 1d6 damage and stuns the person for 1d4 rounds such that they can not act but stumble around.)

only slightly edited

Thank you!! O wise one

Umm? How about the high priest (no pressure)

IMP

Wed Nov 25, 2009 10:11 am
Ulthal

Nefrous Iout (He is a lawful evil, human 8th level illusionist whose vital stats are HD 8d4, AC 19, and HP 29. His primary attributes are: dexterity, intelligence and charisma. He significant attributes are: Dexterity 16, Intelligence 17 and constitution 14. He wears a Circlet of Persuasion, an amulet of natural armor +5, a ring of protection +2, carries 2 vials of dust of disappearance, a robe of blending, a ring of evasion and a vial of heal serious wounds.)

this is the only write up i can find for Nefrous. i didn't add any extra items or his spell list as i assumed the CK would amend for his daily needs. the idea, overall, was for this canny operator to try to avoid having any attention brought to him.

i also noted, that should he get out of the city alive he would not go to Festung Akt but head back to Aufstrag stopping at some place along the way, i did not mention the place but believe it would be in A8 or A9

Mon Nov 30, 2009 1:57 pm
Hlobane Orc

IMP

Mon Nov 30, 2009 2:16 pm
Ungern

As the original poster of this thread I would like to thank you all for your great replies. Nwelte1 for his excellent suggestions, Steve and Davis for their 'official' input and the aptly-named Chaosimp for his goading and prodding.

Now to get busy playing the thing...

Thanks all,

Willy Rat

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:05 am
Ulthal

no problem. i just wish someone else could have shuffled through the massive pile of papers in my attic to find those notes scribbled on a piece of random paper.

also found some original Vakhund notes.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 2:11 am
Mogrl

My group is heading to Aufstrag, with the idea of "beating it", if you have anything you want play tested PM me.

As it is I am just going on my ideas expanding on what we discussed at Troll Con.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tue Dec 01, 2009 6:16 am
Hlobane Orc

cleaverthepit wrote:
no problem. i just wish someone else could have shuffled through the massive pile of papers in my attic to find those notes scribbled on a piece of random paper.

also found some original Vakhund notes.

I admire your determination and self-discipline. And yes one likes to prod.

IMP

Tue Dec 01, 2009 9:29 pm
Ulthal

I didn't see any stats for Risticulian or his assistant (cabal member) Itto. The PCs might not fight the former, but it would be good to know how powerful he is.

The Misfit Troll Word Wrangler
www.christinastiles.com
www.misfit-studios.com
www.trolllord.com

Wed Dec 02, 2009 5:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 25 posts ]