View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
Umbrage Saga - Trees 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Umbrage Saga - Trees
Don't know whether to ask this here or in the Rings of Brass...

In the Umbrage Saga set (I have the PDF), there is additional material on p.60 concerning the Ineng tree. It's confusing, because different information is given on the following page, and is made even more confusing when referencing the Crusader it mentions.

Read no further if you are adventuring on the Blacktooth Ridge.

[spoiler]

Tree #1, the "Old Man of the Forest", planted by Meltowg and called The Ineng Tree, is 200'x20'. An owl lives in it and a dark faery is trying to kill it.

Tree #2, 40'x15' who actually was a Sentient who for a while was a troll named Ineng, is the tree Meltowg slept under in the Crusader article.

Is Old Man Nester just confused? Or was Meltowg? Why are they both called the Ineng tree for totally different reasons?

[/spoiler]

Mon Apr 19, 2010 1:03 am
Mogrl

Ineng was a Sentient, an race fo intelligent trees created by the All-Father, for a time Ineng was in the form of a Troll.

Does that help?

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:16 am
Greater Lore Drake

No, I got that much, and that also agrees with the introduction to the saga. The part I don't get is where there's another tree (under The Old Man of the Forest) which is also called the Ineng tree. (first paragraph after read-aloud under "Old Man of the Forest": 'The Ineng tree is dying and with it the owl. The owl has a symbiotic relationship to the tree, and as it dies, so too does the owl.' Also, in the previous text under "The Wizening Branch": In the deeps of the Winter Dark, Meltowg, the lord of the Vale Knights, planted its seed upon this ridge in a hidden meadow. He named the tree Ineng, which

means beacon in the elvish tongue of those days.

This is not the same tree as the troll/sentient tree, yet is also referred to as Ineng within pages of the description of THAT tree (under The Ineng Tree). It has a different history (planted by Meltowg vs. created by the All-Father), is of different stated dimensions, and one is described as having an owl in it and faeries living below; the other is not. What bothers me most is the Meltowg connection. Did he really sleep under the Ineng tree AND plant a new one and call it the same thing?

The "Old Man of the Forest" tree with the owl is also in A1.1, Return to Blacktooth Ridge, but the other story (from Crusader 8-12) is not.

What I think happened is they both just got copied into the Umbrage Saga and left to the CK to scratch his head over and decide, hopefully without the party having run into both. For now, I am just going to say Old Man Nester is full of crap and is just talking about a really big spooky tree and assumed it was Ineng.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:36 am
Mogrl

Yeah, Meltowg definitely did not plant Ineng, he was created by the All Father well before the race of Meltowg even existed. So your theory that he planted a different tree that he also gave the name too is likely correct, and that tree, likely due to ancient magics, became what is now called a Treant.

Hmmm, I'll have to reread things and see if the sentient Ineng is also the one that becomes what is now called Aufstrag, the home of Unklar. It is not all of Aufstrag, which is actually an immense underground city, but it is the immensely huge twisted tree above the entrance to Aufstrag.

I interpreted that to mean you have to travel through the tree to even get into Aufstrag.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:48 pm
Ulthal

First, I love writing this stuff and answering questions about it, so a very kind thank you very much as I've spent the better part of the day in my attic fixing a pipe.
What you are looking at are three stories. One is written in a literary style (the crusader and unpublished), the other is written for adventures (Umbrage) and the third are notes of my own not fully developed but ones that involve the The End of Days, The Gonfod.

The two trees you are referencing are the same trees. Ineng was a troll who morphed back into his tree form. When Meltowg discovers him, deep in the Winter Dark, he has not turned to stone as is the fate of his kind, so he was still very much alive, though slowly dying, small and twisted, though with deep roots. Meltowg leaves him thus and sets him out of his mind.

The tree you encounter, that Nester knows about is huge, though still 'dead'; this is hundreds of years later...I can't remember off hand how much time has passed.

So what happens....

SPOILER ALERT for Crusader and Eventual Adventure Material

Meltowg leaves the tree, travels across the plains and eventually comes to the Castle of Spires. This adventure is very tragic for all involved as related in the Codex. (that's as much as i will say about that as some may be waiting for the Crusader fiction piece about the Lothian Princes to wrap up, which it will in about 2-3 more issues).

But one of his company, battered and bruised returns to the tree to "plant the seed" of hope there; this magic revives Ineng and he begins to grow again, though not exactly as a tree of his youth. This is how the whole Crusader piece finishes. That is the first story. It ties into the tree upon the Blacktooth because that magic serves as a beacon for those good fey who dwell in the region, this during the winter dark. It was NOT originally planted as a beacon however, but for wholly other reasons that will come out in the Crusader fiction.

Now the Ineng in Umbrage is tied to the Blacktooth Ridge and the magic because it draws the fey and they begin calling it the beacon; the fey gathered there in the winter dark, drawn by the fire of its magic, a magic they thought originated with the tree, but which actually relates to what is planted there, the seed. The tree begins to grow again too, thanks to the seed. That is the second story here.

The third and unpublished story is the Gonfod, the End of things, the End of days etc etc. The Ineng is tied to it as his roots stretch deep in the earth where lies....you guessed it

The Bones of the All Father.

The owl is a creature we never wrote up though I think deserves some attention and will probably do so in Gods and Monsters of Aihrde.

Now we intentionally leave some of these things up in the air so you can build your own mythology around them. Was it Meltowg that planted the seed of magic and revived the Ineng tree or one of his men? Or someone else? Its up to you. However...

SPOILER ALERT ALERT

In the written mythology it is not Meltowg; his fate is not tied to the world anymore, but part of his spirit (banned from lands of the dead due to the curse of Unklar which meant elves died forever) that is laid to rest there by one of his captains....that spirit that has seeded the ground and teh tree, whose roots begin to delve deep in the crust where they at last encounter the bones of the All Father.

Does that make sense?

Steve

Sat Aug 14, 2010 8:11 pm
Mogrl

It definitely clears things up. I won't be able to use official though, in my game the "Bones of the All Father" have been used to make what are probably the most powerful artifacts around. The first of which have been discovered is the "Staff of Life", the second is a seat made with the Pelvic bone of the All Father, and when you sit in it you can see anywhere, on any plane, even through time.

Then there is his head, which mages and Runemarks the world over will covet, and do, because it was made into a helm, and the wearer knows all arcane and runic spells known to all races, and adds 2 spells per level to the number they can cast per day. This one is still in possession of the God who enchanted it, and the players will have to do some incredible convincing to have him give it up to them.

Then there is the Staff of Destruction, made from a fore arm bone of the All Father and is able to cast every spell capable of destroying, such as Fireballs, lightning, disintegration, death spells, etc... at a level I have yet to determine.

A certain Dark God has given this into the possession of one of his most powerful worshipers, so the party will have their work cut out for them in obtaining it.

I haven't worked out the rest yet.

Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:29 am
Hlobane Orc

OK I'm a little confused, so the large (200ft) and small Ineg tree in Umbrage saga are supposed to be the same tree? That's the mix up?

Fri Oct 15, 2010 6:30 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]