Where Do I Start?

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
drconnor
Skobbit

Where Do I Start?

Post by drconnor »

As a recent convert to C&C, I'm awaiting the arrival of my 'big box of books' from TLG. While I have a good handle on the rules, I'm very foggy on the Aihrde setting. Where should I start? What do I need to know to jump right into the Umbrage Saga? Thanks!

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Where Do I Start?

Post by Rigon »

drconnor wrote:As a recent convert to C&C, I'm awaiting the arrival of my 'big box of books' from TLG. While I have a good handle on the rules, I'm very foggy on the Aihrde setting. Where should I start? What do I need to know to jump right into the Umbrage Saga? Thanks!
Try here.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

drconnor
Skobbit

Post by drconnor »

Thanks. I read that a while back and I'm hoping to find something a bit more specific. Is there an earlier version of the Codex of Aihrde? I'm hoping for an overview really. Perhaps the After Winters Dark Campaign Setting book?

Rigon wrote:
drconnor wrote:As a recent convert to C&C, I'm awaiting the arrival of my 'big box of books' from TLG. While I have a good handle on the rules, I'm very foggy on the Aihrde setting. Where should I start? What do I need to know to jump right into the Umbrage Saga? Thanks!
Try here.

R-

Sir Ironside
Lore Drake

Post by Sir Ironside »

drconnor wrote:Is there an earlier version of the Codex of Aihrde? I'm hoping for an overview really. Perhaps the After Winters Dark Campaign Setting book?
Yeah it was called The Codex of Erdhe (Probably spelled Erdhe wrong. it has been awhile. Anyway it was a d20 book.) That book was mostly info and not tied, too much, to rules. Personally I'd rather wait for the new Codex that is C&C specific.

I didn't mind the After Winters Dark folder, but others have problems with it.

I'd suggest getting the "A" series of modules. That will help you get into the world while waiting for the new Codex to arrive.
"Paranoia is just another word for ignorance." - Hunter S. Thompson

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

Oh I never saw that, thanks Rigon!

Dr. Connor, welcome to the crusade!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Relaxo wrote:Oh I never saw that, thanks Rigon!

Dr. Connor, welcome to the crusade!
Your welcomed.

TLG put out a little blue booket, a long time ago (pre d20) called After Winter's Dark. It is a lovely little primer for Aihrde (which was spelled Erde back then). Then came the Codex of Erde, a hardbacked expansion of the AWD booklet. Then we got C&C and the After Winter's Dark folio. Much like the blue booklet, but with maps and some more info (think of this a primer for Aihrde). The Trolls are working on the new C&C-ified Codex. I have all three current Erde/Aihrde products. I like reading the blue booklet from time to time and the Codex is one of the best campaign books I've ever read. If you do a little looking around, I'd imagine you could find either the Codex or the blue booklet. But if you want to just dive right in without much to do, get the folio.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Relaxo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Relaxo »

yeah I found the d20 Codex and Winter Runes at my FLGS used bin. Good stuff!
Bill D.
Author: Yarr! Rules-Light Pirate RPG
BD Games - www.playBDgames.com
http://rpg.drivethrustuff.com/browse.ph ... rs_id=5781

drconnor
Skobbit

Post by drconnor »

Thanks for the insights on this. I'll search out the material and wait until the new Codex appears. Any suggestions on where to find the older books?

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

drconnor wrote:Thanks for the insights on this. I'll search out the material and wait until the new Codex appears. Any suggestions on where to find the older books?
I did a quick search on ebay and found the d20 Codex for about $2.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

The Codex of Erde is awesome, but you really don't need to have it to start your campaign.

There is just enough Aihrde lore/history/info in A0 The Rising Knight and A1 Assault on Blacktooth Ridge to give to players to get things started, IMO.

As always, much depends on how interested your PCs are in their campaign world. If they are heavily interested, then having the Codex or The After Winters Dark folio and such would be very beneficial.

Enjoy the game . . . and welcome!!

:D
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

drconnor
Skobbit

Post by drconnor »

I've started a new campaign in September using D&D B/X.

What began with 2 players is now up to ten. I suspect that I'll need to divide soon. Over the holiday break (5 of the players are university students where I teach), we're taking a break and I'll be converting to C & C. While most players are 3.5/Pathfinder/4E veterans (the younger players), a few are grognards, so we are all comfortable with adding to B/X.

To date, the campaign is based in a small town on the frontier and I've used Keep on Borderlands, Keep on the Shadowfell as well as some OSR materials. The group really hasn't explored much beyond 20 miles or so from ton. Having read A0-A5, which convinced me to C &C in the first place, it will rather seamlessly fit it.

So what I really want to get familiar with is the Aihrde 'fluff'. Specifically, the larger big picture questions like politics, religions, history. I've fudged it a bit with the (recently deceased) cleric but have a Druid joining the group...

Thanks for the help and the welcoming forum.

Rhuvein wrote:
The Codex of Erde is awesome, but you really don't need to have it to start your campaign.

There is just enough Aihrde lore/history/info in A0 The Rising Knight and A1 Assault on Blacktooth Ridge to give to players to get things started, IMO.

As always, much depends on how interested your PCs are in their campaign world. If they are heavily interested, then having the Codex or The After Winters Dark folio and such would be very beneficial.

Enjoy the game . . . and welcome!!

:D

tylermo
Greater Lore Drake

Post by tylermo »

Welcome aboard. I think it's great that Aihrde brought you to C&C. My group is playing through the Slag Heap at the moment. Have fun.