Tagean /Brindisium

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Tagean /Brindisium

Post by Lurker »

My class work load has slacked a bit (is it sad that I consider teaching for 7 ½ – 8 hours straight a light work load … but I digress)

With that I've got the chance to play in Rigon's FR game, & playing has gotten my Dming juices flowing.

With that, I've been flipping through some of my notes and my Codex of Ahirde. That leads me to thinking about having Tagean & Brindisium more fleshed out. I'd look at expanding into the surrounding areas bringing them more into the line of the Delian League with Tagean Colonies (of course putting them into conflict with other powers in the

I don't like how downplayed Tagean is, but that is just me & my desire to have better Greek influence etc

Has anyone done any work down that path? I know Piperdog (I think anyway) has some ideas. Any one else, and are you willing to share?
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Re: Tagean /Brindisium

Post by Rigon »

If you have it, The Lure of Delusion is set in or about Brindisium.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Rigon wrote:If you have it, The Lure of Delusion is set in or about Brindisium.

R-

I never thought of that one. I have it in PDF. I'll have to dig into it and see what is there
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

C&C Society

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Lurker wrote:
Rigon wrote:If you have it, The Lure of Delusion is set in or about Brindisium.

R-

I never thought of that one. I have it in PDF. I'll have to dig into it and see what is there
It's a good one. I played it at GenCon a few years back run by Piperdog. It was the tournament mod and I placed.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Ok, this is what I've been thinking about changing

Brindisium:

1st, a little larger land mass especially the neck of land that connects it to the main land. I figure, increas the land by 1/3ish, and the neck should be about 3 times wider. There are other inconstancies on the map throughout the codex, so this change isn't earth shattering. Explain it as the Avignon cartographers are Inner Sea centric so are down playing the actual size of Brindisus, or just made a mistake.

2nd, they have annexed the Darkenfold, the southern 1/3 - 1/2 of the Shelves of Mist, the western bank of the Danau, the Soup Marsh, and all points south of the Eldwood (including the west side of the Bay of Lothian).

3rd, They have set up military forts in strategic locations throughout the above mentioned locations. Plus, the towns in the areas are walled and very well defended. Also, they have well maintained roads connecting all of them and leading back to Brindisium. The roads are well patrolled by well trained and equipped forces.

Admittedly, in those areas, especially the more wild areas - in the deep dark areas of the woods or marsh - their hold is minimal at best. However, the roads and towns are significantly safer than they otherwise would be.

Also, this will require a few changes to the published modules. However, I don't think it will cause a huge change. The towns will be walled and have a garrison, but the deep wilds where the meat of the adventures are ... no huge change

4th, They have a well maintained navy, but it is not strong enough or large enough to do more than patrol the Brindisium waters.

5th, These annexes are straining the relationship between Brindisium & Kayomar. There is still ties from their mutual fight against the Winter Dark, but the annexation of the areas that have at least been nominally Kayomarian is straining the ties.

6th, Brindisium is sponsoring mining operations (by dwarves, gnomes, and human prospectors) in the hills surrounding the mouth of the Danau, in the Shelves of Mist, and in the lower SE slopes of the Rhodope Mtns.

Tagea

1st, Again an increase in the size, a little bigger islands and more of them. But no a huge increase. Just enough to justify them being a power to themselves.

2nd, They are in control of the east coast of the Shenal Sea (starting at some point south of the Ursal bridge) all the way down to Aenoch Valley. Also, they are annexing the southern 1/3 - 1/2 of the Heristat plane (to a point of a significant river, natural feature that would make a natural boundary).

3rd there is a more significant gains (and civilizing influence - at least a veneer of civilization) in the Gelderland. The costal colonies are still rough and tumble, but the more brutal 'death pits' etc exist in towns/trading posts in the central regions of the Gelderland.

4th, They are in a very close & friendly trading alliance with the merchants of Eloria - Eloria having no navy, governmental infrastructure, or colonies. Also, they have recently made trade alliances with Karilia - pulling them away from the Free City of Avignon.

5th The loss of forces in the Onwalting area is having a ripple effect in politics throughout the Tagean sphere - Look to history and Athens' invasion of Sicily between the 2 phases of the Peloponnesian war as an example. The failed invasion was lead by a supporter of Demosthenes which is pushing the stale mate in government toward the camp of Leonidas

6th, King Leonidas is the first King from a colonial area ( A critical and old colony on the narrow plane between the sea and the Voralberg Mtns). Also a more developed political history and infrastructure needs to be developed. I have ideas, but can't flesh it out in a few sentences.

7th, The navy, though suffering significant losses with the Onwalting fiasco, is a significant force. The Navy's primary leadership tends to fall into the camp supporting the Demosthenes faction. Also, the forces tend to act as a privateer to ships from Avignon & Maine. But they are careful to not force the issue (yet) into open naval warfare.

8th, these changes put Tagea into friction - to almost open warfare - with Aachen, and Maine, and through them, Avignon.

*** I've also thought about reducing the importance of Avignon - making it more like Constantinople at the end of the power of Byzantine Empire - instead of the super power of the Inner Sea. It is still rich and a center of trade (even good from Tagea' shipping eventually pass through it's ports). But, it is not a naval power house and does not have the sole source of "experienced explorers to chart the area" that the codex says Tagea is using in the Olgdon Delta expansion. It is wealthy enough to fund other countries or groups to fight their fights without actually putting their own - limited - forces in risk and getting their own hands dirty.

So what do you think? Too big of changes, are the workable?

C&C Society