Next purchase, help me decide

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Next purchase, help me decide

Post by Julian Grimm »

I want a new book but cannot decide on what. First up is one of the two codex books, I occasionally use an alternate earth setting which these two would help with. On the other side is the new Aihrde codex howevever, I never could get into the setting and am afraid I would not use it.

So what does everyone think of each of these books?
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Re: Next purchase, help me decide

Post by Treebore »

Since you have never been able to get "into" Aihrde, I'd go with one of the Codex's. Of the two currently out, I like Celtarum the best.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Treebore wrote:Since you have never been able to get "into" Aihrde, I'd go with one of the Codex's. Of the two currently out, I like Celtarum the best.
I agree with Tree. I'd get the Celtarium Codex.

R-
Castles & Crusades: What 3rd Edition AD&D should have been.
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Buttmonkey
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Buttmonkey »

I prefer Codex Nordica, but that's just me. I have an aversion to the fey.
tylermo wrote:Your efforts are greatly appreciated, Buttmonkey. Can't believe I said that with a straight face.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Buttmonkey wrote:I prefer Codex Nordica, but that's just me. I have an aversion to the fey.

Nothing wrong with Nordica, just stating a preference is all.
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'm also thinking about picking up a new M&T or a flip book if they go back into print. As for my issues with Airhde, I want to like it but have problems with past presentations. I would like to try it to see if this version gets a better response from me.

The HH books are an option but with the HH PHB out of print I really don't want to wait.

I have some time to decide yet.
Lord Skystorm

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Rhuvein
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Rhuvein »

I have both Codex books and they are excellent, you can't go wrong with either.

I slightly prefer Nordica, but it could be that author learned much when he wrote the first one and it made for a better rendering of the material in the second book.

[Or it could be that since I'm Swedish and Norwegian and descended from Thor, I'm just bias]

I wrote an entire module based on ideas and things that were in Nordica. My online group play tested it and really like running through the module.

:)
Count Rhuveinus - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Franqueforte

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

The new Aihrde Codex GREATLY expands the material published before, but I haven't read it in detail, so don't know if it addresses the issues you have had in the past. It does have a lot more to the whole "creation" process. So it might.