Mordius

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Shaeffer

Mordius

Post by Shaeffer »

Okay, so Thorax killed her out of jealousy... If she is "dead" why do I get the impression that there are still followers of Mordius? Does her "church" have priests/druids who carry out her will and are granted spells, etc.? Or is it a situation where Corthain honors her memory by supporting such activities "in her name"? Or is it silly to think anyone still worships her?

I plan to have her essence still exist within Aihrde, and to have a small following still serve her, but I was wondering if anyone else had adressed the matter. Mordius seems to be a great pick for a PC druid to worship (other than Wenefar).

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Mordius

Post by Tadhg »

Shaeffer wrote:
Okay, so Thorax killed her out of jealousy... If she is "dead" why do I get the impression that there are still followers of Mordius? Does her "church" have priests/druids who carry out her will and are granted spells, etc.? Or is it a situation where Corthain honors her memory by supporting such activities "in her name"? Or is it silly to think anyone still worships her?

I plan to have her essence still exist within Aihrde, and to have a small following still serve her, but I was wondering if anyone else had adressed the matter. Mordius seems to be a great pick for a PC druid to worship (other than Wenefar).

She lives in the hearts of her followers!!
Nothing specific is spelled out in the Codex or the new AWD, except it's mentioned that her followers are rare. But I like your ideas and agree that she would still have many followers/worshipers.

She and a few other deities are open for development and interpretation which I think is a great thing for the CK.

I myself thought that her followers might be a secret sisterhood of Amazon "type" clerics or druids.

Another thing is - if Unklar's forces begin to muster and rise, I see the rising of many counter orders/religions/guilds etc. to revive or took root and grow.

The Codex says the Mystic Enclave is no longer active, but in my world of Aihrde, the followers of Aristobulus are many and growing.

Final thought ~ Corthain will avenge his sister and Thorax will be sent to the "Void" forever.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Shaeffer

Post by Shaeffer »

Thanks for the imput Rhuvein.
I like the sense of secret societies lurking beneath the surface in your game. It's the sort of thing I've done in the past, so there's no reason not to do it with C&C
Originally, the player's choice of Mordius was because she seemed a perfect fit for his idea of a druid, and he wanted to avoid the obvious choice of Wenefar. It smacked too much of older characters he'd played in the past.

So perhaps his being drawn to an obscure/ancient religion is a sign of Mordius' return "to the living" as a goddess of Aihrde? That she's slowly rebuilding her own essence, and as such, mortals are beginning to hear her call once again, that sort of thing?

Thanks again!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Shaeffer wrote:
Thanks for the imput Rhuvein.
I like the sense of secret societies lurking beneath the surface in your game. It's the sort of thing I've done in the past, so there's no reason not to do it with C&C
Originally, the player's choice of Mordius was because she seemed a perfect fit for his idea of a druid, and he wanted to avoid the obvious choice of Wenefar. It smacked too much of older characters he'd played in the past.

So perhaps his being drawn to an obscure/ancient religion is a sign of Mordius' return "to the living" as a goddess of Aihrde? That she's slowly rebuilding her own essence, and as such, mortals are beginning to hear her call once again, that sort of thing?

Thanks again!

This idea can definitely work. Can be an excellent high level campaign hook as well.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Realmsbard

Post by Realmsbard »

Shaeffer wrote:

If she is dead how would her followers gain spell power?

Realmsbard

Shaeffer

Post by Shaeffer »

That's actually part of my original intent of the post. How would they? Is it from her grieving brother, out of respect for her memory? Or is it simply that while her more physical form was slain, Mordius herself was more along the lines of "temporarily scattered" and her essence/power lingers? She was an Eternal, after all, or at least the type who wouldn't equate the number of worshippers to her personal power level (I think).

So far, I'm thinking of going the latter route, and that enough of her lingers for her followers to access, until some point in the future when she is fully "reconstituted".

From earlier replies, the whole notion might become a major part of the campaign later down the road.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Realmsbard wrote:
If she is dead how would her followers gain spell power?

Realmsbard

Since Corthain swore an oath to maintain the balance of power among the G-ds. I would have Mordius' followers pray to him for divine intervention and powers.

As Corthain and Thorax are now the only 2 supreme beings that still live, Corthain representing good, law & justice and Thorax embodying evil, chaos and destruction - I would have Mordius' believers gain powers to counter any followers of Thorax and/or Unklar should he return.

[Some of the above is paraphrased from the Codex of Erde, page 57].

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Actually, I kind of expect Godds to be super powered PC's, so I would say even though she was "killed" she definitely had a "contingency" of some sort in place. She is a goddess, so she had plenty of wishes to use to make such contingencies.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I just read this today as I was rereading the Codex (inspired from last night's discussion). I think that Mordius put her essence into the trees in the area that she was slain. Some of the Men who worshipped her started to worship the trees of which the Great Tree of the Druids in the Eldwood is the last of that line (second column of page 14 in the Codex).

So you could have Mordius reaching out through the ages to re-establish her power over natrure or as an offshoot of anyone of the nature/druidic deities.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Rigon wrote:
I just read this today as I was rereading the Codex (inspired from last night's discussion). I think that Mordius put her essence into the trees in the area that she was slain. Some of the Men who worshipped her started to worship the trees of which the Great Tree of the Druids in the Eldwood is the last of that line (second column of page 14 in the Codex).

So you could have Mordius reaching out through the ages to re-establish her power over natrure or as an offshoot of anyone of the nature/druidic deities.

R-

I like this train of thought, Rig. Perhaps the staunchest followers make pilgrimages to these trees (Silver Oaks?) and through them (containing the essence or spirit of Mordius) gain magic powers to allow them to cast spells.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Rhuvein wrote:
I like this train of thought, Rig. Perhaps the staunchest followers make pilgrimages to these trees (Silver Oaks?) and through them (containing the essence or spirit of Mordius) gain magic powers to allow them to cast spells.

Yeah yeah.
R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

I'm reading and there is more good info in the AWD folio on Mordius. Hope to post tomorrow with specifics.

Great thread!

Shaeffer

Post by Shaeffer »

It IS an interesting discussion. My player whose druid started the whole thing is very excited at the possibilities.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Just to follow up a bit here and adding to what Rigon posted from the Codex, the AWD folio mentions that the Great Oak in Elwood became a G-d to many, so I think one could use that premise to give the divine spell casting powers to those followers.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Shaeffer wrote:

Its almost impossible to actually 'kill' one of the Val-Eahrakun, especially one of her power.
Shaeffer wrote:
I plan to have her essence still exist within Aihrde, and to have a small following still serve her, but I was wondering if anyone else had addressed the matter. Mordius seems to be a great pick for a PC druid to worship (other than Wenefar).

I think this has been addressed already, but yes, when her blood soaked into the trees of her grove it imparted some of her essence, of which the Great Tree is one descendant. And this is why the Silver Oaks are so valued and protected and even a sprig of the Great Tree carefully tended too, for many believe that who power resides here through them. Others believe it is greater and more a part of the world itself...the northmen for instance...

The men of the North never delivered themselves of her worship, believing that in fact her blood gave life to the great tree Yggdrasil which holds all the world together (which some Norse shaman's believe to be the All Father, who is not dead but in fact lives upon the blood of Mordius, whose dew will one day be the only sustenance for men in the new world.)

The importance of her essence as survived in trees cannot be overstated, for it was in the shape of a tree that Unklar built his fortress, this in mockery and fear of her, for in his fear he did not know if she were truly dead and if not were she bound by the Judgment of Corthain.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Troll Lord »

Realmsbard wrote:
If she is dead how would her followers gain spell power? Realmsbard

It is almost impossible to kill such a deity. All gods gain power from the worship of their followers...from their faith. And she, even more than her brothers has more active followers. But almost all deities are worshiped, often in small cults (of blood sacrificing madness for Thorax or hallowed stone mountains for the All Father) spread throughout the world. In the big picture they are powerless, but if some fool hearty adventurers stumble upon a temple of Thorax in the deep swamps they are likely to be caught in mad house of terror and blood for that temple is of exreme importance to the deity and he will, even in a weakened states exert himself greatly to defend it.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Troll Lord wrote:
*snip*

The importance of her essence as survived in trees cannot be overstated, for it was in the shape of a tree that Unklar built his fortress, this in mockery and fear of her, for in his fear he did not know if she were truly dead and if not were she bound by the Judgment of Corthain.

Steve

I always like this/these ideas of "can't be completely sure what happened" - among PCs with relation to deities or as you mention amongst the deities themselves.

Can deities, who you would normally expect can not be killed, be raised/resurrected from dead??? Maybe they were never dead but sent to the void or were in limbo . . .

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I have her reborn as Wenfar. Wenfar may or may not know who she is but Corthain does and is awaiting the right time to awaken Mordius.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I have her reborn as Wenfar. Wenfar may or may not know who she is but Corthain does and is awaiting the right time to awaken Mordius.

That's an interesting take. Care to elaborate?

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

That's actually about all I have. I believe I was playing with the idea that the later events in Airdhe came from the fight between Corthian and Thorax. I'd have to dig my notes up but I think it was just one line on Mordius/Wenfar and Unklar was an aspect of Thorax. Let me look over some stuff and I'll try to expand.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Here's is everything I have. Now it is pretty much straight from my notes so if things are off or such ignore that. I'll try to get a better write up of this posted with increased flavor and detail. Note the background info is taken from the Codex and not the Folio.

History progresses as normal up to Ondeluche killing the All Father. This act was actually Thorax guiding Ondeluche. When The All Father dies Thorax melds some of his essence with that of the All fathers and hides it away. Wenfar is born and Corthain notices that hidden within her is the fullness of Mordius.

Fafranog and Thorax fight. Corthain prepares to do battle with Thorax and forges a Sword (Durendale) and a shield (Glorianna) by mixing his muscle with the All Fathers bones. Corthain then makes his Spear.

Corthain and Thorax fight. Thorax rips the Sword and Shield from Corthain and they become lost. The two trade blows Thorax goring Corthain and Corthain spearing Thorax. Thorax dies. Corathain passes his judgement and then dies himself.

In the Umbra the festering mix of Thorax's essence takes form an names itself Unklar. Corthain saw the future and hides himself in a family line in Kayomar. In A small shrine to Corthain a prohpesy is made that all three shall do battle again in a time of the cold darkness.

Time progressess and the Knight who shall become St. Luther is born having within him the full essence of Corthain.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Cool summary. I could use it except I would have to change it a little because I have Unklar literally be created from evil thoughts the All Father literally ripped from his mind and cast out into the void. I don't remember if that is taken from the Codex or something I decided.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I like your idea as well. My take on it was that I wanted to have a more broad sweeping conflict between the three going. Also as Steve stated an Eternal is supposed to be very hard to kill so I saw them remaking themselves for a later conflict.

It remains to be seen if the three know who they really are or will awaken at some later date. Basically the Winter Dark was just one battle in a longer conflict.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

And thus, six years later I am rezzing this thread since some of the items discussed will take place in my version of Aihrde. I will be expanding my line of thought where Mordius, Corthain and Thorax are actually Wenefar, Luther and Unklar but having no memories of their former lives. But what of the All Father? Outside of the above he is possibly the only truly immortal deity in the universe. He is still there, watching, waiting and preparing for his return. . .
Lord Skystorm