Developing INzae

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
cleaverthepit
Ulthal

Developing INzae

Post by cleaverthepit »

I have given this quite a bit of thought over the years. I would like to do it. I am not concerned horribly about its financial success (other than the time it takes away from other projects it can be short printed so the financing is not a BIG issue) as it would be a vanity project.

There are some issues.

For those who have played in the setting as designed many trope of 'the game ' tend to be dropped.

1. level acquisition tends to fall back in importance as there is always - ALWAYS - some more powerful and deadly than you around the corner. Survival and bettering your corner of the world tend to become end goals. Retirement of characters is a common occurance. This uually occurs around levels 4-6. few players go beyond that. A palpable sense of exhaustion sets in.

How to rectify that in a viable setting.

2. Inzae is houseruled to death

Should those house rules be included as a seperate - nearly unique - system

3. Gold and treasure are rare rare rare.... wits, skill and not a little luck see one through on a day to day basis.

how to rectify that goal.

My concern is keeping the flavor of Inzae. Some will like others not. How open should I make it so people can run with the baseline etc.

Ohh also, in the home setting there are no gnomes, halflings or elves. essentially you get to play Human, dwarf, orc or goblin.

My question and major concern is how much of the orignal flavor shuld i keep.

Davis

Storm Queen

Post by Storm Queen »

I'd at least combine the alternate rules with the campaign background, that way the book will appeal to both the 'system' and 'flavour' sorts of readers.

If it's really a variant rules system, then I'd think that all of it should be in the one book. Monte Cook did that for Arcana Unearthed - he included his alternate player's rules, so you could play them without the D&D core book, and all of his information for the setting in the one volume.

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: Developing INzae

Post by gideon_thorne »

Might set it up like Yggsburgh did. But instead, do a folio/boxed set/whatever version where your 'house rules' are contained in a separate booklet.' That way, people can use the setting with or without said house rules as they see fit.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

I'm certainly no expert and I can't speak for anybody else, but I think that those of us who love Inzae do so just because of the flavor and atmosphere YOU have given it.

I would like to see it presented just they way you have imagined it.

We can tinker with it as we need in our own campaigns.

Bring on your dark and deadly world!

[/i]

John Adams

Lurker
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Lurker »

Quote:
I'm certainly no expert and I can't speak for anybody else, but I think that those of us who love Inzae do so just because of the flavor and atmosphere YOU have given it.

Rogo there! Inzae isn't my "Normal" cup of tea but it is GREAT for those Dark mood games!
Quote:
Might set it up like Yggsburgh did. But instead, do a folio/boxed set/whatever version where your 'house rules' are contained in a separate booklet.' That way, people can use the setting with or without said house rules as they see fit.

That sounds good to me.

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society
"And so I am become a knight of the Kingdom of Dreams and Shadows!" - Mark Twain

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Go for purity. Set it up in a folio with broad strokes. Then the seperate book shows the 'pure' Inzae as you intend it with rules changes an such. Or set it up on the site for free as a bonus for Airdhe owners.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

There is a market for dark and gritty. Besides, with Airhde and Inzae being so strongly linked there is no reason to not do crossovers.

Especially for my campaign if my family group is successful in bringing the All Father back to life.

Which is the only real way to stop Unklar once and for all.

Especially now that they have caught wind of a legend that Wenefar, their patron Goddess, has the All Fathers heart.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Maliki
Lore Drake

Post by Maliki »

I would keep it as close to the original as possible with regards to houserules and flavor. (If there are no gnomes, halflings or elves in Inzae and gold is scarce, then keep it that way.) If this creates a variant system, then perhaps a seperate booklet or some added pages on how to run Inzae as a "core" C&C setting.

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

Maliki wrote:
I would keep it as close to the original as possible with regards to houserules and flavor. (If there are no gnomes, halflings or elves in Inzae and gold is scarce, then keep it that way.) If this creates a variant system, then perhaps a seperate booklet or some added pages on how to run Inzae as a "core" C&C setting.

Yeah, yeah.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: Developing INzae

Post by Tadhg »

cleaverthepit wrote:
I have given this quite a bit of thought over the years. I would like to do it. I am not concerned horribly about its financial success (other than the time it takes away from other projects it can be short printed so the financing is not a BIG issue) as it would be a vanity project.

There are some issues.

For those who have played in the setting as designed many trope of 'the game ' tend to be dropped.

1. level acquisition tends to fall back in importance as there is always - ALWAYS - some more powerful and deadly than you around the corner. Survival and bettering your corner of the world tend to become end goals. Retirement of characters is a common occurance. This uually occurs around levels 4-6. few players go beyond that. A palpable sense of exhaustion sets in.

How to rectify that in a viable setting.

2. Inzae is houseruled to death

Should those house rules be included as a seperate - nearly unique - system

3. Gold and treasure are rare rare rare.... wits, skill and not a little luck see one through on a day to day basis.

how to rectify that goal.

My concern is keeping the flavor of Inzae. Some will like others not. How open should I make it so people can run with the baseline etc.

Ohh also, in the home setting there are no gnomes, halflings or elves. essentially you get to play Human, dwarf, orc or goblin.

My question and major concern is how much of the orignal flavor shuld i keep.

Davis

My thoughts.

Great setting atmosphere - keep it as you visualized it.

Run under straight C&C.

House rules separate doc. Very much love to see that.

Gold and treasure rare is alright, but what can motivate an adventuring party to try their luck? Maybe the following:

Good against evil - pallies and clerics.

Magic or artifact items - wiz/illusionists.

Magic weaponry (+X) - fighters/rangers.

Special herbs or plants - druids.

Monks - unusual fighting techniques

Few demi-humans:

Perhaps they can still travel to this world, but gnomes, halflings & elves will have special challenges.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I've noticed that Inzae is similar in feel to the Wilderlands.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

rabindranath72

Post by rabindranath72 »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I've noticed that Inzae is similar in feel to the Wilderlands.

It reminds me more of Warhammer 1e...

And yes, I agree with Maliki: keep it as you envisioned it. Dark and gritty.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Davis,

Great stuff man! Please expand this place, as it is way cool. I am an old school Warhammer Fantasy guy from way back; sure the mechanics of the game was quirky, but the setting and flavor was the thing that made it different. Inzae, while unique in its own right, has that same gritty, gothic feel.

With a gothic, dark approach, it will definitely fill a niche.

I am curious as to what rule variants you might include as optional material.

I would like to see a horror/fright check system built in, and an equivalent of the warhammer insanity point system. This can almost make a game too dark, as all of the characters we ever played became useless by higher levels due to mental problems of various kinds. What kind of crazy players sit down to a game with a twisted smile, absolutely knowing it just won't end well for anyone? Sick people like myself I guess. Gluttons for punishment, I suppose.
I would also suggest, if it is so prone to be unbalanced and kill everyone off at lower levels, that there were Fate Points or Luck Points or whatever you want to call them in order to save your butt on occasion. You know, spend a point and the death blow you just recieved is now a miss, and so on.

Also, don't think I am suggesting that you do a conversion of Warhammer to C&C! Inzae is definitely a unique place with its own feel and I love it. When I tell my buddies about it though, I have to give it a reference for them to grasp. When they ask if it is like Faerun or Greyhawk I say that it is more like the Warhammer setting. To which they say "Oh, dark and gritty eh?" And I say, yeah, kinda like that.

Anyway, I am begging you to expand this setting! I have money that can't wait to be spent on Inzae!

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

If it is not Inzae, do not print it.

Its a waste, to yourself, and the fans, to print something just to print it... if you don't make it the way you envision it, then it is not ready for printing.

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Serleran is right! Go with your inspiration. I have to assume that the modules you have done and the setting so far has pretty much been the way you envisioned it. It is worth expanding; it appears that it may have a bigger following than you realized!

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Oh, by the way Davis, no rush or anything. We fully expect the boxed Inzae world setting Deluxe Boxed Set to be out by this Christmas. Until then, you stay locked in the basement.....

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

Somebody help! Davis is trying to get out of the basement!

*straining against door*

He's...not.....finished yet!

*puts back to the door, struggling*

Back, Davis, Back! INZAE!INZAE!