I'm not satisfied with the Aihrde gods.

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

I'm not satisfied with the Aihrde gods.

Post by slimykuotoan »

Any chance of having some more thrown at us?

Perhaps an 'extra gods thread' with an official stamp?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Well... he's an 'unofficial suggestion' for what it's worth:

Seeing that there are certain 'recognizable' deities exported from Mythology already (Demeter and Poseidon come to mind), why not continue in that vein and adopt others... or simply go the route that NKG did with their deities (since they also seem to borrow from mythology) or even the Wilderlands stuff.

That's what I've done thus far even though religion amongst my campaign hasn't had as significant of an impact as others I have ran.

My currently campaign has mostly had dealings with the Temple of Freya and the Temple of Demeter. Of course everyone knows about Unklar.
M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

A player of mine just completed A Lion in the Ropes, and after becoming a lord, converted Capendu, Tres and Arlet to the worship of St. Cuthbert.

Gonna be running a rather Lawful Neutral tight ship from what I know of him...

Should be interesting.

Those poor people...

That sayed, it t'would be nice to have extra authentic Aihrde stuff, like that old frog god in that new mists module.
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

While not exactly on topic, this is a good place to post some thoughts on this. Almost all fantasy settings use these massive polythestic religions. Why not trim the pantheons down a bit? Are these large, many god settings merely an attempt to add some PC flexability into the system without changing the mechanics? I always wondered that.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to trim down on the number of gods.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

The Norse gods play a role in Aihrde, but don't have any kind of write ups.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

gideon_thorne
Maukling

Re: I'm not satisfied with the Aihrde gods.

Post by gideon_thorne »

Man.. if a godess cant satisfy you, your just jaded.

Peter Bradley
"The accumulated filth of all their sex and murder will foam up about their waists and all the whores and politicians will look up and shout, 'Save us!' And I'll look down, and whisper 'No.' " ~Rorschach

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I've never been satisfied with fantasy pantheons. I usually remove them and replace them with my own personal one that I have created over the years.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Re: I'm not satisfied with the Aihrde gods.

Post by Tadhg »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Any chance of having some more thrown at us?

Perhaps an 'extra gods thread' with an official stamp?

Wow, you don't think there are enough deities/gods in Aihrde??

Seems like there is a goodly number. But then, I use the Norse and Greek Pantheons as well as many from Greyhawk, and so I pretty much have everything I need!

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Storm Queen

Post by Storm Queen »

I don't like using real world gods in fantasy settings - mainly because they have their own stories and mythography, and that gets gutted when dumped into a generic fantasy setting.

I'm not fond of Demeter and Poseidon in Airdhe and would probably replace them if I ran a campaign there. (Also not fond of Airdhe's earth-like references in geography/history as well (e.g. 'Avignon', Ostrogoths, Visigoths etc.)

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

How many Gods are there listed?? Just curious....
To defend: This is the Pact.
But when life loses its value,
and is taken for naught -
then the Pact is to Avenge.

Stuie
Red Cap

Post by Stuie »

Omote wrote:
Why not trim the pantheons down a bit? Are these large, many god settings merely an attempt to add some PC flexability into the system without changing the mechanics? I always wondered that.

Personally, I think it's a good idea to trim down on the number of gods.

-O

That's the route I took in my (non-Rings of Brass) campaign. I originally had this huge pantheon all ready to go, then decided to go with one uber-god and one good each for the four elements. So I ended up with:

Allgod (LN)

Earth Mother (earth - N)

Oceana (water - CG)

Cylos (air - CN)

The Burning One (fire - CE)

I do have a second pantheon that will be used in a totally different region of my world that is based on a scaled down version of the ancient Egyptian pantheon, but the five above serve the needs of the character's current location.

Edit: I should mention that I also plan to use "old gods" and such, kind of Cthulhu style, so explain some weird cults and the like. But the four above are the main-stream pantheon that are pervasive in the main campaign area.

@Blood Axe - there are "only" 35 by my count.

Coleston the Cavalier
Unkbartig

Post by Coleston the Cavalier »

Here's a few I've been working on for another setting. Some of them have been seen before. I still have about five more to finish.

Glenys, Wise Mother

Major Deity

Alignment: Lawful

Portfolio: Hearth, Home, Healing & Wisdom

Symbol: Steaming pot hanging over hearth

Favored Weapon: Wooden Staff (Some say - Ladle)

Typical Worshipers: Commoners, midwives, mothers, healers and halflings.

Description: Glenys appears as a happy rotund matronly woman who is usually caring for some simmering pot while kindly offering her wisdom. She promotes the benefits of a common wisdom, hard work, a happy home and the joys of children. Indeed, large families are often thought to be a sign of her favor. Churches to Glenys can be found in nearly every town. The homes of many commoners have unofficial shrines to their goddess. A few nobles have been known to dedicate private chapels in their manor houses and keeps to her as well. In addition, clergy and lay folk of Glenys also run a number of hospitals, orphanages and nunneries. Weddings, births and child dedications are among the highest celebrations in the faith of Glenys and the do happen often! Clerics of Glenys must be female and they are expected to live and minister according to the wisdom of Glenys. Although she will not be taken advantage of, Glenys is a most benevolent god, abounding in mercy and forgiveness for those who transgress and then seek the true path again. Clerics of Glenys, always female, spend their time nurturing the homes and families of the local village as well as helping bring their newest members into the world. A number of her clergy specialize in healing skills, medicines, potions and remedies. A select few clerics focus upon collecting, recording and preaching Glenys folk wisdom. Glenys only asks for her faithful to work hard, live by her wisdom and do all they can to expand and support families, family life, and healing. However, she annually receives an immense amount of donations gifts.

Grimic, The Slaughterer

Major Deity

Alignment: Chaotic

Portfolio: Battle, Pillage and Torture

Symbol: A grinning skull with double horned helm

Favored Weapon: Spiked Club

Typical Worshipers: Humanoids and evil humans.

Description: Grimic appears as a burly, humanoid warrior adorned in red chain mail and a horned helm. His constant companion is his giant, blood-stained spiked club. He enjoys battle for its own sake and the accompanying plunder of his victims. Grimic proclaims that the true test of a creature is in its ability to kill in the arena of combat. His teachings declare that the strongest and cruelest deserve the service of all inferior creatures. Not a god of strategy or tactics, Grimic thinks all one needs is sheer strength, will and rage. Prayers and sacrifices to Grimic take place just prior to battle and always involve the shedding of blood. With only a handful of proper temples and priests, he is nonetheless called upon by many before battle. Thus, small shrines to Grimic can be found nearly anywhere. He had a few proper temples a few centuries ago, but none remain standing. Prayers and sacrifices to Grimic take place just prior to battle where he is called upon for favor in battle and always involves the shedding of blood. He only accepts males in his service. His clerics and shamans seldom work together since they continually attempt to seize each others authority. They often dress similar to their god and must take weapon proficiency in club first, since it will remain their main weapon. They may wear any armor up through chain mail (usually stained red by blood shed in combat.) Clergy of Grimic spend much of their time proclaiming the glory their gods power, stirring humanoids into a frenzy and competing against each other for his blessing. In addition, his clerics and shamans torture captives in order to prolong their humiliation for having been defeated. Captives are often tortured to death on the eve of battle.

Rhuynda, Withered Old Witch

Minor Deity

Alignment: Chaotic

Portfolio: Evil Magic, Disease & Deception

Symbol: Dagger

Favored Weapon: Dagger

Typical Worshipers: Evil Magic-Users and Anyone who Seeks to Deceive or Harm Another.

Description: Rhuynda appears either as tall, lovely dark maiden dressed in the finest attire or as short, bent-over, dried-out corpse dressed in ragged and torn clothes covered by a tattered, black cloak with a hood. She delights in bestowing misery, disease and death through magic and deception. Her clerics typically carry out their vile deeds alone and in secret, only gathering into small groups seasonally to perform specific rituals as a group. Many of them wear black cloaks when in the service of their goddess. Rhuynda's clerics are required to take dagger as their first weapon proficiency. Holy places to this goddess are often found in dark caves, old mausoleums and hidden shrines. The season between harvest and winter is sacred to Rhuynda. Some sages have speculated that during this time, her clerics are the most active and their spells seem to be the most potent. Many non-worshipers offer token prayers and items to her in order to keep her attention away from them. Rhuynda often directs her faithful to hostility and violence against the followers of Glenys who, according to legend is her divine sibling.

Thaxon

Minor Deity

Alignment: Lawful

Portfolio: Nobility & Justice

Symbol: Silver Chalice

Favored Weapon: Longsword

Typical Worshipers: Nobles, Rulers,& Judges

Description: Thaxon manifests as either a knight in shining silver plate mail, shield and helm or as a finely dressed noble with with carefully groomed dark hair and full beard. In either case, he can always be found wearing his trusty longsword, Lawbringer. Thaxon proclaims the right and responsibility of nobility to rule, yet their rule must be just and beneficial to all. Authority imposed on others without justice is tyranny. His symbol, a silver chalice reminds his followers that everyone who lives justly deserves to drink of society's benefits. Clerics of Thaxon can often be found as counselors or as administrative personnel to many rules. In addition, some clerics of Thaxon are appointed as judges. Elaborate Gothic temples to this god can be found in many royal cities as well as in many shrines and chapels in the manor houses and palaces of the nobility. His high holy days are the crowning of new rules and the anniversary of their crowning. Knights of the Silver Chalice are a holy order of nobles that is dedicated to spreading and enforcing just rule and protecting the nobles who worship him. Clerics of Thaxon must be able to prove their nobility or be invited into the ranks in recognition of their noble actions and heart.

Oska, the Goat God

Minor Deity

Alignment: Neutral

Portfolio: Crops, Livestock, & Wealth from Farming

Symbol: Overflowing basket of produce, goat or ox

Favored Weapon: Club or shepherds crook

Typical Worshipers: Farmers, shepherds and merchants

Description: Oska appears as aged, goat-horned human male dressed in clothes soiled from farming with grey hair and a full beard. His main concern is blessing the annual planting and harvesting of crops as well as the care of villages cattle. Oska also teaches the skills of storing and preserving foods for the long winter. Lastly, he extols the wisdom of fair bartering practices in the marketplace. Clerics of Oska must earn a living from farming and are thus only part-time clerics. They can almost always be found in their own fields or in the community fields, especially during the Spring planting and during the Fall harvest, which are his most holy days . They also bless the local market and oversee the construction of grain bins and smoke houses. All rituals and celebrations of Oska take place in the fields and around family and community feasts. For this reason, he has no formal temples, but small shrines can be found in nearly every farmhouse, barn and storage bin.

Olmina Sister Sea

Major Deity

Portfolio: Sea, Sailing & Wealth from the Sea

Symbol: Cresting wave or sea serpent

Favored Weapon: Spear or net

Typical Worshipers: Sailors, Fishermen & All Who Earn Their Living from the Sea

Description: Olmina often manifests as an aged mermaid or as a huge sea serpent when into anger. Her dogma affirms the sea as a dangerous place, but with tremendous treasures and beauty. Folk who travel the sea or draw a living from it offer frequent prayers to her as well as small valuables that are sacrificed by being thrown into the sea. Olmina has a few chapels and clergy in coastal towns where the sea plays and important part of the communitys life. A distant deity, she is nonetheless known to save the hardiest of sailors from the worst situations the sea can offer. Some traditions state that Oska is her younger brother.

Wurdyn, The Old Man

Major Deity

Portfolio: Magic & Arcane Lore

Symbol: Spell Book

Favored Weapon: Staff

Typical Worshipers: Magic-Users & Those who Investigate Hidden Mysteries

Description: Wurdyn appears as an aged man in well-worn and tattered clothes that includes a simple, wide-brimmed hat and a constantly flowing dark cloak. On his face he bears the scars of many injuries from his never-ending quest to understand and control the power of magic. In his hands he leans upon his ancient, rune-covered staff. Wurdyn is a rather aloof god who keeps to himself, but revels in the discovery of ancient secrets and in the development of new spell. His festivals are usually private affairs among his faithful and are celebrated when a great discovery in made. Temples of Wurdyn can be found in most magical academies and small shrine anywhere lost lore has been discovered. Clerics of Wurdyn must take staff as their first weapon proficiency. In addition, clerics of Wurdyn are essential identical to Magic-Users in every way, except that they are also able to learn and record cleric spells in their spell book. In this way, they must still memorize their daily spells from their spell book instead of just praying for their spells. Clerics of Wurdyn must also use the Magic-User Level Progression Chart, the Magic-User and Elf Spell Progression Chart (both found on p. 12 of LL), the Magic-User Saving Throws Chart (p. 55 of LL) and Magic-User Attack Table column (p. 60 LL). In addition, they may not wear any armor.

John Adams

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
How many Gods are there listed?? Just curious....

36 or so listed in the Codex of Erde.

Supreme Deities: 4

Greater Deities: 6

Lesser Deities: 21

Minor Deities: 5

Heros/Villains: 5

Rigon
Clang lives!

Post by Rigon »

I think I have right around 28 deities for my homebrew of Morrine. Follow the link in my sig and steal away.

R-
TLG Forum Moderator
House Rules & Whatnots
My Game Threads
Monday Night Online Group Member since 2007

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

36 seems good enough. Greyhawk has more,but some barely heard of or used. Are the Gods/Religions detailed a bit?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

Rigon wrote:
I think I have right around 28 deities for my homebrew of Morrine. Follow the link in my sig and steal away.

R-

My pantheon only has about 3 or so actual deities. The others are beings like Gladriel or the fairy queen from Willow. Powerful possibly immortal beings but not techinically gods.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

Are the Gods/religions well-described/detailed??

36 or so seems adequate if they have detail.

Are they in the Codex, Folio or both??

I just checked a GreyHawk fansite with a list of Gods. Wow, I never realized there were so many.

28 Greater Gods

108 Lesser Gods

29 Demonic Powers

15 "Other"(Elemental/Nature??)

21 Demi-Gods7 Hero- Quasi-Deities

Maybe just take few fromthere, change them to fit, and add them to your campaign.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Are the Gods/Religions detailed a bit?

Yes, there is a good amount of information in one main chapter and other bits spread around the book (histories maybe) about the supreme or major deities and gods.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

BLOOD AXE wrote:
Are the Gods/religions well-described/detailed??

36 or so seems adequate if they have detail.

Are they in the Codex, Folio or both??

I just checked a GreyHawk fansite with a list of Gods. Wow, I never realized there were so many.

28 Greater Gods

108 Lesser Gods

29 Demonic Powers

15 "Other"(Elemental/Nature??)

21 Demi-Gods7 Hero- Quasi-Deities

Maybe just take few fromthere, change them to fit, and add them to your campaign.

Yes, they are well detailed with with information, lore and history ~ yes most of the main info is in both books. The Codex has more mixed in with lore and history chapters.

That's interesting re: GH gods/deities. I hadn't realized there were that many. And yes easy to dump into Aihrde, especially for me since I've placed Yggsburgh and parts of Greyhawk in Outremere (now New Aenochia)!

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

One cool thing about me fitting most of my favorite settings onto one single world is that any god from any setting exists, and therefore a story as to why they are in any particular "setting" can be created.

All the way from a religious pilgrimage to spread their words of faith to new lands, or receiving a vision to do so, to just about any other plausible story that can be decided upon.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

Treebore's a HUGE fan of St. Cuthbert of the Cudgel.

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

slimykuotoan wrote:
Treebore's a HUGE fan of St. Cuthbert of the Cudgel.

Actually he is probably my favorite GH god. The good version, not the neutral.

Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.

BLOOD AXE
Ulthal

Post by BLOOD AXE »

I like St. Cuthbert. His clergy is pretty well detailed, 3 branches even.

Walk quietly and carry a big.....eh forget it.....

slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Post by slimykuotoan »

I detect sin and incorrect thoughts...

Lucifer_Draconus
Hlobane Orc

Post by Lucifer_Draconus »

When the new Codex comes out I hope that there will be more info on the Gods & their clergy..I guess I'm just spoiled by FR.

RIP Gary Gygax you will be missed.

TheNewGuy
Red Cap

Post by TheNewGuy »

First post and all, so please, no pummelling ...

I just have to suggest that you take a look at "The Book of The Righteous" by Aaron Loeb, originally published by Green Ronin for D&D 3.0 (although it's largely `system-less', and would be a painless `port to C&C).

No, I don't work for Green Ronin. Simply put, TBotR is the best fantasy-rpg deity book I've ever seen; it's archetypal, easily importable, user-friendly and smart.

TBotR is one of my few "desert island" gaming books -- and, like many here, I've been gaming since Elric, Cthulu, and the Grey Mouser were all listed in the "Deities & Demigods" hardcover.
You can check out the PDF edition of "The Book of the Righteous" at RPGNow.

Just trying to help out,

TheNewGuy

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

TheNewGuy wrote:
First post and all, so please, no pummelling ...

I just have to suggest that you take a look at "The Book of The Righteous" by Aaron Loeb, originally published by Green Ronin for D&D 3.0 (although it's largely `system-less', and would be a painless `port to C&C).

No, I don't work for Green Ronin. Simply put, TBotR is the best fantasy-rpg deity book I've ever seen; it's archetypal, easily importable, user-friendly and smart.

TBotR is one of my few "desert island" gaming books -- and, like many here, I've been gaming since Elric, Cthulu, and the Grey Mouser were all listed in the "Deities & Demigods" hardcover.
You can check out the PDF edition of "The Book of the Righteous" at RPGNow.

Just trying to help out,

TheNewGuy

lol

Well I am glad it got you to post, but there are several of us who know and love the book as well, one of whom is me.

I agree it is even better than Faiths and Pantheons from 2E. Combine them together, well, they are about as complete a resource for religion as you could ask for.

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

TheNewGuy wrote:
I just have to suggest that you take a look at "The Book of The Righteous" by Aaron Loeb, originally published by Green Ronin for D&D 3.0

QFT

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<