I3: Felsentheim Keeper Question

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Metal

I3: Felsentheim Keeper Question

Post by Metal »

I'm about to run my poor players through the chase in Felsentheim, then the siege, but have a bit of a conundrum.

I ran them through Dzeebagd ("no plot survives an encounter with the players"), but they're loaded down with coin and riches from a previous adventure. Nothing really too far above what their wealth should be for their level.. but at 10 coins/pound, most are literally at weight capacity.

Any case, they've been moaning and griping to go to a town for a while, to trade in their riches for gear and magic. That doesn't exactly fit into the plot anytime soon, and Felsentheim, being a one log house town, doesn't exactly have much in trade. After Felsentheim they'll probably want to head to Bergholt... perhaps some NPCs will ask them to go there, either in reward for saving the town, or retribution for bringing the Zjerd upon it.

I've just bought the Bergholt: By Shadows Of Night book, and I gather it continues the Evanna/von Beck plot, which I would very much like to continue. I haven't read it at all yet though.

So.. long winded explanation complete.. I was thinking of having a travelling merchant/tax collector in Felsentheim when the characters arrive, who can leave before the Zjerd get there. What kind of merchant/tax collector would be a good fit into the setting? I want something full of the germanic/border character. The Kydzj trader residing in Frisia piqued my interest. A tax collector could, for the proper due to Halpveg, turn those nuisance coins into trade bars. I dislike the idea of a travelling Adventurer Magic Gear Merchant.

So any ideas?

I absolutely love this storyline and setting BTW.. it's so deep and unique in its own way, and full of a bitter cold borderlands atmosphere.

Oh.. and I know it's come up before.. but where can I get the "free PDF" storyline summary promised in Vakhund? It's not on the TLG site, nor can I find it anywhere; I just can't get enough source material for this setting!!

Metal

Post by Metal »

Is this in the wrong forum?

I have some interesting observations and plans on how to run the siege of Felsentheim if anyone's interested.

moriarty777
Renegade Mage

Post by moriarty777 »

Hello Metal and welcome to the Crusade!

You've got the right forum but I expect some of the regulars either overlooked it (I know *I* missed this thread until you posted the second post) or it's a bit of a case that some are not familiar with it.

As for the free PDF file you mention, I'm afraid it hasn't appeared to have materialized yet. At one point, I think some people thought it was a hold-over from the previous edition of the module. The adventure was initially designed for d20. However, looking at this version and the initial PDF release of the C&C conversion, I find no mention of it. It's only in the newest C&C print release of "I1 - Vakhund: Into the Unknown" where it is mentioned.

This would certainly be a nice thing to have IMO; I'll make sure to nag about it in the General Forums right after this post.
Aside from that, I haven't had the pleasure to run my players through the "I-Series" yet. It'll likely be done in a different future campaign. That said, I can't really advise you much but I do like your idea regarding trade bars. Make sure you charge a steep enough 'conversion fee' to help lighten the character's finances. Of course there are MANY ways to do this, my current campaign doesn't see the characters flush with cash all that often. However, they are prone to call upon the services of a Temple (which requires suitable donations) in order to assure a continued adventuring career.

And... by all means... talk about your experiences with the trilogy. That way it may prompt a few more people to buy it and run it. All in all, it seems pretty solid and fun from what I remember.

M

Partner to Brave Halfling Publishing
http://www.arcanacreations.com

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

Yeah, there are so many Sub Forums here it's hard to find the time to keep track. I have these modules, but haven't had the opportunity to run them yet, so I'm interested in reading about your experiences with them.

And, to echo Moriarty, welcome to the crusade.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Metal

Post by Metal »

Well thanks for the welcome guys. Been lurking here ever since I found Inzae.. but now I'm venturing through it
When we last heard of our heroes, they were heading to Dzeebagd for the dual purpose of appropriating a large payment from several of von Beck's men who were depositing it there temporarily, and, the contract killing of some blue lizard men. Upon initial approach of the fort, they spotted the Zjerd goblins guarding and rebuilding it, as well as several groups engaged in a heated argument over a blone girl and small Kydzj. The party immediately split up and started doing things in a haphazard fashion.. one character running around the side screaming warcrys (I'm not kidding), one character sneaking up to the side, one character charging the front gate, one sneaking up to the pallisade to dig a hole. After several rounds of battering with Zjerd arrows and very accurate shots by the humans inside, the fort is on high alert and the party is retreating bloodied very badly. [groan]

Several stay back to create a false camp to attempt to ambush any counterattack. Two of the more arrogant characters are one-hitted by someone who they don't even know snuck up on them - they are warned to stay away from the von Beck's.

[Now considering Dzeebagd to not be a safe place to leave their ransom, Klaus and Tindle head directly to Bergholt with Evanna, the Magdoles in tow.]

The party decides to try working together instead of running around like idiots. A diversionary attack on the wall allows a group to break in through the front gate, while a stealth group moves in through a hole in the pallisade. The Zjerd don't even stand up for 6 rounds.

However, the humans, nor the blonde girl, are nowhere to be found.

They explore the dungeon below, getting hit by just about every possible hazard, including the whole party eventually contracting the lung disease. Eventually the Tan Meths are discovered hiding in their hole. Barely, through rough negotiation and fortunate spell choices, the story of the Tan Meths of Imfal is discovered, and the tables turn on the Krung Thep. The party leave the dungeon, alongside the Tan Meths.

They walk right into an ambush by the Krung Thep - who are none too happy about not having the Tan Meths handed over.

Unfortunately the Krung Thep don't even prove a challenge for the characters.

Having sacked Dzeebagd, the characters head north to a warmer region of the Dampfrat, where Me'Enup can begin erecting a temple, to live with his kin in seclusion. Then, on to Felsentheim, back to civilization.

Several miles away, while crossing a glade, several Zjerd scouts are spotted following the party........

Metal

Post by Metal »

[CK stuff:

I've started reading Bergholt, and again, am completely blown away with the depth of the setting and the germanic flavour. However, now I'm at a loss for what to do with Klaus (whom the characters now consider a villain, and know is a pirate) and Evanna (whom the characters let walk away). Perhaps Evanna will be delivered to Baron von Savil, forced to marry him, and kept quiet with threats, as was alluded to in I3. Evanna will sponsor the characters for citizenship for their actions at Felsentheim (one of the nobles there will become subjugate to the Rotenheimers).

In case you can't tell I highly recommend this series - it's a campaign setting and story arc and mythos all in one, for a low, low price.

Where the adventure's been left off, the characters have just started to be chased to Felsentheim. They will encounter the Chazrim next session, the numbers of which I'm going to increase, because they're not quite dangerous enough to the characters. The battle at the ford I'll run by the book, though I have a feeling they'll do something to outskirt the ambush, or find the Zjerd tracks in the mud.

Ranged weapons will be used to maximum effect - and with 45 Zjerd firing, there had better be some good maneuvering done by the characters. Mwahahaha.

Before the characters get to Felsetheim I'm going to re-read, then re-read again all the NPCs, and get a feel for how I want to play their characters. The role playing during the siege will be very theatrical.

I've decided that Ingram, the tax collector from Bergholt, will be at Felsentheim, collecting, before the characters arrive. They can exchange said coins above to trade bars for merely 10% tax to Bergholt. (Thanks Moriarty) This might also give an in to the next adventure.

For the siege itself- (this is the part I talked about writing here in my first post)

I've drawn a map of the town to use as a reference while running the siege. I've also photocopied sheets of stats of the town residents to hand to the players (just visible descriptions and statistics). For myself, I've made up stat cards of all the various elements of the Zjerd force, and a disposition sheet which lists what parts of the force are on what side of the town. So, for example, if the characters have waves of arrows pelted on the west force, I can note down their losses.

I'm seeing the attack in scenes.

1: Welfenzjerd are approaching fast - get the villagers inside and get the gates closed - chase sequence.

2: Feign negotiations

50 Zjerd elite will move up with a Warlord

3: Flaming arrow attack, Diversion on gate, then attack rear of longhouse with torches

4: Spider riders attack over the longhouse, battering ram at front gate

5: 4 waves of arrows, whatever's left charges

Each of these can be run almost independantly - eg the fight with the spider riders by the long house, being pelted with arrows, shooting at the battering ram.

The characters can allocate the townsfolk as they choose, though they won't be drones. I'll have to try and keep up with the roleplaying.

Basically the characters are going to have to provide the initiative, or the Zjerd will break into the fort easily.

Will report after next session...

]

Metal

Post by Metal »

Having spotted Zjerd scouts, which scattered when approached, our heroes continues to make haste to Felsentheim. The druid speaks with a muskrat and learns that the creatures of the swamp are hiding in fear of the approach of the pillagers from the south. Brutes on pigs have been crossing all through this area.

A third character discovers that they're starting to suffer from a lung infection. The first of which to discover this has been coughing and hacking horribly for some time. They consult the mage for some knowledge beyond their means and learn that they acquired it from the rat cave in Dzeebagd, and that yet another character is ill without knowing it. [I have some plot ideas for what this disease is going to unleash. Mwahahahahaha. Mwahahaha. It's amazing the plots you can spin off of one sentence someone threw into a description]

After a further day of travel, they're charged by a hulking Chazrim who spies them across a glade. With 6 character actions to his one, he doesn't even last 3 rounds [disturbing given that I gave him 2 extra levels of HP]

The druid, who's been flying high in eagle form trying to gauge the distance out of the Dampfrat, spots more Chazrim attacking from all directions. The characters have but a few minutes to prepare [changed for sake of drama]. They cut down small trees and quickly fashion longspears, to break the charge [unexpected but smart!]

The Chazrim, roaring their terrible war cries, race in, to find their charge broken by a wall of spears. Their mobile hit and run battle is turned into a grinding melee, in which the half orc and mage are beaten rather badly before the tide of battle turns.

Finishing off the survivors, they manage to tame and heal several of the elothere [unexpected again!!! they did legitimately make the rolls to do it too, also unexpected!]

Further haste is made to the Hiitenford. Little attention is paid to the surroundings, and in the middle of attempting to get several angry, poorly trained and poorly behaved boars across the river, black fletched arrows begin to rain...

[Slower session tonight.. next time: The Ambush, and Felsentheim pt. 1]

Matthew
Unkbartig

Post by Matthew »

Interesting. It's always funny when a party fails to work together and ait almost always seems to end with a beating! I am looking forward to hearing about your next session.
It is a joyful thing indeed to hold intimate converse with a man after ones own heart, chatting without reserve about things of interest or the fleeting topics of the world; but such, alas, are few and far between.

Yoshida Kenko (1283-1350)

Joe
Unkbartig

Post by Joe »

Running this battle Thursday!

I was hoping someone had suggestions.

I will be using an "assistant" to run much of the dark army.

I will be running the elite reserves, elothere riders, and some special npcs.

'Follow your bliss.' -Joseph Campbell