Hard cover Erde or Aihrde folio?

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
slimykuotoan
Greater Lore Drake

Hard cover Erde or Aihrde folio?

Post by slimykuotoan »

Does one have information which supercedes the other in terms of cannon, etc.?
For crying out loud, do what you can with the rolls the dice have given you. This is what separates the men from the boys... -Kayolan

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

The information in the AWD Folio is the current release, so a few things supercede the Erde codex (which was a d20 product for use with 3.x rules set). The most notable are a few name changes -- Outremere is now New Aenochia, the god Demeter is now Ore-Tsar, Erde is, of course, now Aihrde....

I bought the folio first, then later picked up the earlier codex as back-source material.

I know that there is going to be another Aihrde release, some sort of "brown box" which I assume is the folio with a new map from what I gather, for gen-con.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

seskis281
Lore Drake

Post by seskis281 »

Oh, and the upcoming Shades of Mist module is supposed to really flesh out more of the Darkenfold part of the Cradle of the World.

Ilshara: Lands of Exile:
http://johnwright281.tripod.com/

High Squire of the C&C Society
www.cncsociety.org
John "Sir Seskis" Wright

Dreamer of Ilshara
Lands of Ilshara: http://johnwright281.tripod.com

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

I started out with the folio, but just picked up the Codex at Con. Stop whatever it is you are doing right now and run, not walk, and get it. It is not good, it is friggin AWSOME. And its only ten bucks right now, so I highly recommend it.

Traveller
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Traveller »

Has anyone compiled a list of the name changes?

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

Oh dear god no. The problem is there is a fairly significant amount of changes from the Codex to the Folio, and not just in name changes either. I guess I should have been nothing that down when the folio was released... erm.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Piperdog
Unkbartig

Post by Piperdog »

It would be cool to see the folio materials expanded into a new Codex edition! What do you say guys?

serleran
Mogrl

Post by serleran »

I believe that is the eventual plan -- Steve just has to get enough time to actually sit down and do the writing...

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote wrote:
Oh dear god no. The problem is there is a fairly significant amount of changes from the Codex to the Folio, and not just in name changes either. I guess I should have been nothing that down when the folio was released... erm.

-O

Hmm, I didn't note very many name changes. I know the Trolls talked about making some years ago, but I don't think they made many.

Maybe, I missed them.

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

"By the pricking of my thumbs, Something wicked this way comes:" - Macbeth
Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

"Enjoy a 'world' where the fantastic is fact and magic really works!" ~ Gary Gygax

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

It has been a while now, but it seemed to me that a number of names changed including that of dates and timeline events.

-O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<

Treebore
Mogrl

Post by Treebore »

Omote wrote:
It has been a while now, but it seemed to me that a number of names chanced including the changing of dates and timeline events.

-O

I only noticed maybe 4 name changes. All of them were countries. As for the time line I did not do a side by side comparison.

Next Con I am attending: http://www.neoncon.com/

My House Rules: http://www.freeyabb.com/phpbb/viewtopic ... llordgames
Since its 20,000 I suggest "Captain Nemo" as his title. Beyond the obvious connection, he is one who sails on his own terms and ignores those he doesn't agree with...confident in his journey and goals.
Sounds obvious to me! -Gm Michael

Grand Knight Commander of the Society.

Tadhg
Cleric of Zagyg

Post by Tadhg »

Omote wrote:
It has been a while now, but it seemed to me that a number of names chanced including the changing of dates and timeline events.

-O

I don't believe there were any changes to date/timelines. However, I do recall a thread where we determined that a typo was either corrected or carried forward between the Codex and the AWD. I can probably find that thread if anyone is interested.

Lord Tadhg - Lejendary Keeper of Castle Ardmore

dutch206
Red Cap

Post by dutch206 »

I've been shamelessly throwing my Christmas money at the Trolls for about a week now. (Instant Delivery PDF's rawk!) I own a hardcover copy of the Codex of Erde and a PDF copy of the Folio. I must say that I prefer the Codex of Erde hardback more for explanations and the Folio for the new maps.

IMHO, buy the Codex of Erde and dowlnoad the free maps from RPG Now. I would also suggest you pick up either "Mortality of Green" and "Shades of Mist", or the "Haunted Highlands" bundle.

Sorry, but I won't run the A series until Aufstrag comes out. (If the Trolls keep their schedule and have A13 out in time for GenCon, I'll eat my hat.)

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I'd say buy both. I still use my Codex but I do like the trimmed down folio as a primer especially for players. But with the Codex rapidly going out of stock and the D20 deadline for sales ending looming the folio will be easier to get.

I know there will be a follow up product to the AWD folio but it's not been discussed in a while. Mayhaps it's time to shake Steve's tree and see what he says about a new Codex similar product.

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06