Lovecraftian Beings in Airdhe

The Worlds of Aihrde (Erde), Inzae, their history, game play and more.
Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Lovecraftian Beings in Airdhe

Post by Julian Grimm »

I am having some trouble trying to fit what I call the 'Lovecraftian' monsters into the world. One idea is that they had been brought in by Unklar at one point. Another is that they were the result of the All-Father's mind splintering.

Any other thoughts?

Grand Knight Commander KoTC, Member C&CS

Donner Party Meats: We're here to serve YOU!

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

mordrene
Ulthal

Post by mordrene »

what about the links between airdhe in inzane through the rings of brass? maybe the great old ones broke through these doorways into airdhe? maybe thew were pushed into the world from the wake of the great dragon's movements? maybe the defeat of unklar caused a cosmic ripple that summoned the old ones?

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

I had a thought of them coming to be when the All Father's mind was shattered.

AD&D per se is as dead a system as Latin is a language, while the C&C game has much the same spirit and nearly the same mechanics. --Gary Gygax 8/16/06

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

In the 4e default the Lovecraft type beings dwell in the far realms at the ragged edge of reality and sometimes slip through into our reality. Some have even set up shop in the material realm and include mind flayers and beholders. The beings of the far realms have cults and grant powers to warlocks that enter into pacts with them.

The other option in 4e would be the primordial beings who predate the gods and lost a war against the gods at the beginning of time. These beings are now, for the most part, imprisoned in distant planes or cast into the abyss though some hold that there are primordials sleeping under certain seas or mountains on the material world. The old primordial beings have cults and communicate with the insane through dreams and visions and work towards the day that they will be freed to spread destruction and chaos. the goal of the primordials is the destruction of the world.

Julian Grimm
Greater Lore Drake

Post by Julian Grimm »

While that is a good take I want something that fits into the mythos of Erde. The Far Realm might as something being connected to the umbral paths but, I still lean to them coming from the mind of the All Father.

BTW when I refer to 'Lovecraftian' I am using it as a catch all for creatures like the Aboleths, Mind Flayers and some other aberrations out there.

concobar
Ulthal

Post by concobar »

Julian Grimm wrote:
BTW when I refer to 'Lovecraftian' I am using it as a catch all for creatures like the Aboleths, Mind Flayers and some other aberrations out there.

gotcha. the thing about Lovecraft mythology is that they would have to be older than the all father to make sense. The great old ones that perhaps the all father defeated and banished until a time when the stars and planets were aligned and they could be freed seems more in line with Lovecraft.

In 4E Aboleths are from the far realms but many serve the demon prince Dagon. The far realm is basically a realm composed of nightmare and insanity that exists outside of the planes. No one has journeyed to the far realm and returned with their sanity intact.

Troll Lord
Greater Lore Drake

Re: Lovecraftian Beings in Airdhe

Post by Troll Lord »

Julian Grimm wrote:
I am having some trouble trying to fit what I call the 'Lovecraftian' monsters into the world. One idea is that they had been brought in by Unklar at one point. Another is that they were the result of the All-Father's mind splintering.

Any other thoughts?

These fit very well. The Puala Beast is one such monster. I would bring them over when the world was first made, even before the All Father cast the sun and moon into the heavens. Those were long, dark years, where the world was lit only by the fire of the earth, blasting heaths of flame into the sky from the mountains. During those dark years the first beings began to war with one another.

Steve

He who sits on the elephants back

Castle and Crusade Society
[email protected]

Omote
Battle Stag

Post by Omote »

That Puala Beast is the s**z-nitty. After reading about the Puala, and given the backstory that Steve has provided above, I can see Lovecraftian beings in Aihrde more so now than imagined before. Nice.

~O
VAE VICTUS!
>> Omote's Advanced C&C stuff <<