View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 12:21 pm

Reply to topic  [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
The Venga Campaign 
Battle Stag

Post Re: The Venga Campaign
Thanks for the awesome campaign updates Cinabro. It's been a blast to read, and has springboarded ideas of my own.

~O

Mon Sep 05, 2011 6:33 pm
Profile WWW
Greater Lore Drake

Definitely been a fun read. Well done. ;)

"Our past shapes us, our choices define us, our desires propel us, and those we let into our hearts give us the strength to persevere even when our dreams lay shattered behind us." - me

Tue Sep 06, 2011 12:38 am
Red Cap

CAMPAIGN REVIEW
===============
Character..Sessions.Levels.Levels/Session
Spike..........56............1->7......6/56=0.11
Murga.........46............1->6......5/46=0.11
Zeebers......45............3->7......4/45=0.09
Quilord........34............5->6.....1/34=0.03
Lavis............21............5->7.....2/21=0.10
Celebrin......10............1->3.....2/10=0.20
Neela.............6............2->4......2/ 6=0.33
Calsen...........5............3->4......1/ 5=0.20
Shiu-Feng.....5............3->4......1/ 5=0.20
Rolthane.......4............5->5.......0/ 4=0.00
Tilly................2.............1->1......0/ 2=0.00
---------------------------------------------------------
Totals.11........234.......+24.......24/234=0.10

Level progression was good. It does grind to a halt above Level 5, but that is how
the rules are meant to work. Quilord's player wins the frustration award, but in my
defense he did start at the bottom of level 5 and have the steepest progression
as a Wizard.

Modules........................................................... Sessions.Source................Rating
Meeting.............................................................1...............Home Brew
Lost Vault of Tsathzar Rho............................4...............Goodman DCC..****
Witchfire #1: Longest Night...........................3...............Privateer..............****
Into the Wilds....................................................2..............Goodman DCC...***.5
Crater of Umeshti/Deeper Darkness............1..............Troll Lord..............***
Interlude.............................................................1..............Home Brew
Witchfire #2: Shadow of the Exile..................3.5...........Privateer.............****
The Adventure Continues: Like Clockwork..1..............Goodman DCC.***
Against The Iron Giant......................................2.5..........Goodman............****
Interlude..............................................................0.5..........Home Brew
Last Initiate.........................................................3..............Monkey God.......***
Witchfire #3: Legion of Lost Souls.................6..............Privateer..............****
Interlude.............................................................1..............Home Brew
Ptolus: Night of Dissolution..........................12..............Malhavoc..............***.5
Banewarrens.....................................................8.............Malhavoc...............***.5
Interludes........................................................8.5.............Home Brew
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total.11.............................................................58.........................................<3.6>

Uniformly good modules. The Witchfire trilogy is great fun. Dungeon Crawl Classics are always a
good bet. I wanted to get back to the Crater of Umeshti, but it never happened. Against The Iron
Giant Was great fun. I messed up the Last Initiate by letting too powerful an NPC, unexpected
player loss, along for the trip. I completely junked the plots of the Monte Cook mini-campaigns
which is why there were so many home brewed interludes in the second half of the campaign.
There were great locations and NPC's that I made liberal use of.

I did do some things wrong. Too many healing potions and letting loose a Staff of Evocation.
Thus no player character died at the table. There were a number of close calls. Spike almost
died twice, poisoned by mansects and stupidly facing down a basilisk. Quilord was seriously
hurt by a magic missile from a shape shifting spider popping up out of ambush. Murga was killed
by that same spider just after going NPC. It was an experienced, cautious bunch of players.

Excellent campaign that lasted about 3.5 years of real time.

Fri Sep 09, 2011 4:51 am
Battle Stag

I've never seen a campaign analysis like this. Are you a "stats" kinda person? Wow. Neat!

~O

Fri Sep 09, 2011 3:42 pm
Profile WWW
Red Cap

Thanks for the nice words of encouragement. I am a scientist, and measuring stuff is just what I do. On a more serious note, I do like to have an idea of how fast characters advance and how many sessions I can guess a module to take. Both of these aid in figuring out what to prepare for the future. I take a while to prepare, and thus I have to have a good idea how long the module we are working on and the module that is coming up next are going to take and what the character levels are going to be so that I have an idea when and what I should be buying/reading such that the campaign has a long break while the CK tries to figure out what to do next. Also it is good to know who produces good modules as it is a big waste of time to read bad ones and even worse to actually play a bad module.

Mon Sep 19, 2011 4:50 am
Reply to topic   [ 145 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5