View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:40 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
Ne'er-do-Wells' AA Masque of the Red Death 
Greater Lore Drake

Post Ne'er-do-Wells' AA Masque of the Red Death
30 Sept 2019 - It always starts on a train

Characters
Father Sean O'Malley - Demon Hunter
Mr Gerard Doyle - Raider
Colton - Gun slinger
Joe Blue - Pugilist - added 28 Oct 2019

O'Malley & Doyel, After traveling through Scotland, England & France end up in Toulouse France needing to travel to Berlin Germany - to hand deliver a letter to a Dr James Lallard

O'Malley - now has a contact in London & Parris / successfully researched information in Scotland, Parris and Toulouse
Doyel - now has a contact in London Paris & Toulouse / successfully researched information in Scotland London Paris & Toulouse

Colton, After traveling through England, Parris, Spain, and Southern France is also in Toulouse France traveling to Berlin
*** Need to make Cha checks to see if he made any contacts

The train ride to Berlin will take 31 hours plus time at various stops - total of over 2 days

O'Malley & Doyel meet Colton - the only other American on the train at least only one in 2nd class section.

Also meet

Mr Jarslav Hugo Masek - German finder of antiquities

Captain Ernst Siskovis - German (Saxon) Army officer / currier

Joseph Roy Laudon – corpulent German banker

Joseph & Alice Estra Weiss – Newly wed

Unknown name - Black bushy beard - overly interested in any other passenger with a currier bag

Unknown name - associate of above - Indistinct nationality

Unknown name - overly energetic in talking - Frenchman

Faced

Unknown - bulbous monkey like creature with poisonous tail and chameleon abilities

Forgive all spelling errors.

Knight Errant & Humble C&C Society Contributor
C&C Society

Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:41 pm
Ulthal

Post Re: Ne'er-do-Wells' AA Masque of the Red Death
Great session Les! I'm still wondering about the "snake" and what it put in that drink...

Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:27 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Thanks glad you liked it.

I'm not sure I didn't bite off more than I can chew in doing a Poeish horror flavored game. I didn't think it would be that hard to keep it a creepy feel, but boy what sounds easy while you are reading Poe or Victorian Vampyre stories sure isn't easy in the RPG, at least not for me

However, with your 'snake and what it put in the drink' I at least hit the mark on that.

Once you make it out of story 1 into story 2, if you all haven't figured it out on your own, I'll let you know then. :twisted:

As a reminder if any of you all write your own recaps and takes on what happened, you'll get extra fate points, or extra exp to put to buying additional 'generic class abilities' (form a limited choice of them) or skill packages. It will be slower than normal (since it is a horror/Poe game instead of a standard fantasy game) but it will be a good way to give you all a bonus for the write ups without flooding a character with extra exp who happens to have extra time to do write ups.

C&C Society

Wed Oct 02, 2019 3:09 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Sorry about the com issues last night. Still not sure what the issue was. However, after we wrapped up the game I tried to open my e-mail and it was slow on that too. So, it wasn't a discord issue .... stupid Okie internet provider !

That said, planned on getting further, but with the coms issue maybe it was better we didn't. I'd hat to been in the middle of the fight with those coms issues !

For the recap - 7 October 2019 - Story 1 - It always starts on a train - part b

More information was gathered

Mr Jarslav Hugo Masek - German finder of antiquities
- slips into using past negative tense when he mentions a possible future event he implies he looks forward to.
- Finder of antiquities for the University of Berlin
- Is originally from Blansko (a Town in Moravian, Czech, Austria) and well educated in the University of Prague
- Sister Adelaid Masek - 17 year old - exceptional & intelligent - assisting Dr Jindrich Wankel in his archeological and cave exploration in and around Blansko - hasn't seen his sister in over 6 months
- Fiance - Yvetta (did not hear last name) - assisting Dr Wankel in his medical clinic - nickname for her is "Blond Angle"
- Dr Jindrich Wankel - in the Village of Blansko, is both a medical physician operating a clinic in the village and uses it to train medical Drs after their university work is finished, is the leader in the area for archeological mineral digs in the area, some months ago had some unknown exceptionally large find.
- Is himself Catholic

Captain Ernst Siskovis - German (Saxon) Army officer / currier
- Is an officer originally trained as a Light Cavalry officer
- Is form an influential important family but from the hinterlands of Saxony
- was reassigned as a currier and has been in N Spain / S France (Basque region) on a mixed work / holiday assignment
- Is actually an honest open friendly person
- Is more proud of being Saxon than German
- Dislikes French, especially argumentative hate spewing ones
- Has started an acquaintance with Masek

Joseph & Alice Estra Weiss – Newly weds -
- 2 weeks in S France on honeymoon
- Joseph's father is a professor of engineering and mathematics in the University of Berlin
- Joseph has recently finished his undergraduate studies at the University of Berlin
- and (thanks to the help of his father) received a position as an assistant professorship and teacher's assistant
- Estra is a Jewess

Unknown name - Black bushy beard - overly interested in any other passenger with a currier bag

Unknown name - associate of above - Indistinct nationality -
** the 2 have narrowed down their focus to the individuals of the group, Masek, Siskovis, and 2 other German travelers in their mid 20s to early 30s.

Édouard Drumont – - overly energetic in talking - Frenchman
- Newspaperman – Anti-Capitalism, Anti Jew – Pro Catholic & Government control
- Argued with Father Sean O'Malley when he did not agree with Drumont's anti-Semitism
- Is spending free time with Bushy Beard and his Acquaintance

bulbous monkey like creature with poisonous tail and chameleon abilities - figured out successfully it is an imp - developed a fanatical desire to hunt it down and trap it - it has thus far avoided been overtly seen and seems to be avoiding the inside of the lounge car at the least.

The Train has in the night turned to the East and is now traversing the foot hills to the N of the Alps

C&C Society

Tue Oct 08, 2019 10:52 pm
Greater Lore Drake

Gained no new information about the NPCs

Spotted an imp again & tried to engage it. Eventually tried to clear the dinning car (And made a scene in doing so, & when Colton makes a scene he makes a scene for the ages !) to protect the riders from the little demon. It ended up escaping their efforts.

Noticed bushy beard in the corner having a silent 1 sided conversation

Stopped bushy bearded guy's associate in his argument with Masek . After the argument Masek stayed around others at all times and was never alone.

Father Sean O'Malley talked with Mr Jarslav Hugo Masek and gave him peace with an impromptu confession.

Besides making the scene Colton spent most of the time with Captain Ernst Siskovis

Mr Gerard Doyle tried once more to get some sleep but his slob fat cabin mate won again. So for the 2 nights in a row , he got no sleep

Just after midnight , as the train crossed a bridge and began a slow climb up the hill, Masek left the lounge car. Doyle noticed someone hit the ground and roll away, stand and run into the woods

A few minutes later, bushy beard guy got up and hurriedly eft. Father Sean O'Malley followed a minute or so later

An unnatural wolf how was heard by Doyle from outside despite the noise of the train, and his snoring cabin mate

Father O'Malley followed Bushy beard guy's associate up through the cars to the 3rd class cars in the front and then watched the associate and the 4 thugs jump from the train

A quick search of Masek's cabin showed 3 sleeping cabin mates and his bag carefully unpacked with possibly an item or 2 removed

Before the train crested the top of the hill, Father O'Malley, Doyle, and Colton jumped from the train

As the train crested the hill. another unnatural wolf howl echoed from the valley below, and this time answered by other wolves in the valley.

Knowing the servants of the dark evil, Father O'Malley realized the depth of danger they faced in the night dark valley ... and was shaken to the core.

C&C Society

Mon Oct 28, 2019 12:43 am
Greater Lore Drake

Mr. Joe Blue - Black freed slave & a Pugilist - leapt from the train and joined the group.

The group moved along the ridge line and was able to get ahead of the pack(s) of wolves and the men below in the valley, but as they approached the last portion of the ridge, Mr Blue though of a dream he had that night and knew the rock he dreamed about dying on was in a clearing up ahead, so the group turned to cut off the men in the valley below.

After being ignored b a hunting wolf, a shot rang out through the woods off to the left of the group (from the clearing Mr Blue was worried about)

In the clearing, with his back to the rock that was in Mr Blue's dream, Mr Jarslav Hugo Masek had shot and killed 1 wolf, and was shooting at another.

A thug was seen at the edge of the clearing preparing to shoot Masek, but the group was quicker and 2 bullets dropped him before he could fire.

Chaos erupted as wolves and thugs attacked Mr Masek - eventually driving him up to the top of the 8 foot finger of a rock, and the group fought and killed wolves attacking them and rushing toward Mr Masek

A sound burst spell stunned the group, and Bushy Beard with exceptional speed and agility sprinted through the rock strung clearing to take cover behind the rock Mr Masek stood on. Then Busy Beard's associate attacked from the shadow with a knife - luckily missing Mr Blue's exposed back, and then retreated from the divesting blows of the black boxer.

A larger pack of wolves nearly overwhelmed the group, and kept them from rushing to the aid of Masek, as Bushy Beard drove a dagger into his side.

Captain Ernst Siskovis, uniform muddied torn, bruised, and eyes wide in fear, stumbled out of the darkened woods and was able to kill 2 of the wolves in the last pack, and the other 3 were killed by the group.

Bushy Beard cursed from atop the rock - in England English - pushed the dying body of Masek off the top of the rock, and magical fog began to fill the area.

Masek was found dying, but despite Mr Blue's and Captain Siskovis' attempts with 1st aid, died while saying
Blansko … home …Adelaid sist,,, Yvetta blond… love…. Word…must …

Father O’Malley preformed the last rite for Mr Masek

After his passing, the group found his currier case with various papers, a book, a journal etc, and a crumpled paper that had :
Copied this day, Ibn-Hayyan , Buondelmonti , transliteration cerae diptych, Seraph Hispana
written on it in 5 different languages

Also, they found Masek's pocket watch, cigar case, a packet of letters from home, his locket, his cross, & a silver compass needle with a black and white woven silk string tied around it

As Mr Doyel lifted it up, the needed was blown by the breeze, but then began to spin unnaturally fast, and then stop pointing to the ENE remaining perfectly still despite the light late night breeze blowing through the valley.

1 wounded thug was found critically injured slumped against a tree on the edge of the clearing

No sign of Bush Beard, his associate, or any Imp was found.

So ends the 1 st story – It always starts on a train

C&C Society

Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:47 pm
Greater Lore Drake

4 Nov 2019

Story 2

Woods Caves and a Town

Opening cut scene
A dank dark dingy cellar, the sound of umm pa pa umm pa pa music drifting from above, beer schnitzels and bread nearly over powers the musty moldy air, nearly but not quite. The squeak of rats and vermin adds a chorus to the Public house music from above, a dark disquieting chorus

Chains clink, a man stripped necked in the middle of the room, Chains locked to the shackles closed tightly around the mans wrists. The chain taunt through a bracket in the ceiling and down to a winch on the far wall. An exceptionally fat rat leaps onto the crank handle and the chains click even tighter.
The man struggling to breath as the chains stretch him to the point of barely keeping the balls of his feet on the damp floor.
“Did I not give you gifts ?” – a dark voice asks from the rooms shadows
Yes master – the stretched man answers and shivers
Were they not useful
Yes master
Were they not adequate
Yes master, of course master, your gifts are …
Then why did you fail – the dark voice cuts of the useless flattery
A sob is the only answer this time
You know, a gift give can always be taken back
A whimper
A tool can always be turned on the hand that miss wield it
A wolf growls from the blackest of the corners, into the dim light a wolf pads into view snarling fangs bearded hackles raised
I taught you to control them before, try now
A sob, … master …
No, Hummmm you see I control my gifts, always
The wolf lunges snaps, less than an inch from the mans neck
Before the chained man can screem
Now be careful, we do not wish to disturb the pleasantries from above. Lessons are best learned in contemplative silence
The wolf lunges again and again, jaws snapping hot breath and spittle show the chained stretched man just how close the wolf is
The chains clank as the man attempts to dodge without though but knows in his marrow that if the master wishes the wolf would bath in blood
Now a lesson in suability – the dark voice states, but only at a whisper
The wolf’s growl ends , the agressiveness gone in an instant, and a simple panting beast turns and disappears into the shadow
Rats scurry and squeak
Climbing, scratching nipping covering the stretched man
A gasp that will lead to a scream

Nooo no no … silence, learn, suffer in blessed silence, or ….
Rats swarm, clawing
The man quiets, teas of fear and horror stream down his face into his black bushy beard.
Minutes, hours ages pass
Now, my English dog, are you going to be useful
Master spoken in a whisper
Good, I want blood, and I want some seeds planted.
Shadow blacker than night swirl, move, are alive, the lock on the wrench snaps releases. The chain clatters and the man drops, crawls like a much beaten dog, to his cloths. Lifts his hands begging for the manacles to be released

The body of Mr Masek, and the wounded thug was being taken to an near by village, but on the goat trail in the middle of the woods the Imps harried the group as a misdirection with someone attacked from behind and drove a dagger into the back of the thug (Told you I'd clean up the lose string, but lucky all the rolls to spot were low enough for me to pull it off without getting the attacker killed).

A shot hit one of the Imps (great shot it was) but you aren't sure it killed the Imp or injured it. After the attack, the remaining Imp (and the injured Imp if he didn't die from the wound) fluttered off into the night as the assassin stealthed into the dark woods

The group made it to the local village that night and in the morning the Sheriff sent some people to gather the killed thugs

The Thugs were French/Spanish (Basque) and had nothing special - except for a hand written note written in English that read

“May my hand do the same to you, if not mine then I pray for another to be the tool of --- wrath”

Capt S was told that he had stepped into something bigger and darker than it may seem - nudging him one more step closer to being a fellow hunter of the Shadow

That day the group and the body of Masek was taken to the nearest larger town. Capt S took a few hours to figure out how best to get the body to the far Czech village of Blansko in Moravia

It will take 2 weeks, but there is a feeling in 2 of the group that time is of the essence , so the rest of the group - with paper work provided by Capt S that hints that he is more than just a common Lt Cav officer.

With some lucky rolls (and some very not so lucky) the group made it through the woods of SE Germany, across the border of Germany and Austria, and across Moravia.

You are now, the next Tuesday afternoon, on a hill of the Carpathian Mountains, overlooking the village of Blansko. The home village of Mr Jarslav Masek and the presumed location of his sister and fiancée.

C&C Society

Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:43 am
Greater Lore Drake

11 Nov

In the village of Blansko

The group talked to a local priest - Father O'Malley will have been introduced to the local Catholic church leadership - holding on the role playing of this

The group was finally passed to the local medical clinic of Dr Jindrich Wankel. The walked into a medical emergency due to an iron foundry accident & helped Mrs (Dr) Yvetta Hlavacova (fieancee) in the emergency - 1 nurse was injured by the patient, but the group held him down and helped Yvetta in the surgery - during the surgery Father O'Malley used one of his miracles to help heal the patient and then his other one to heal the brused and battered nurse.

While she cleaned up the operating & exam room, the group went to Dr Wankel's other ware house and study - it is full of archoilogical finds, skelitians and all the tools used in exploring caves and doing local archeological work. Mr Doyel made a good impression with the Dr and got the grand tour of the place.

Joe talked to Adelaid Masek ( Sister) and told her point blank of her brother's passing. She was saddened but not surprised by the news

Yvetta and the 2 nurses from the clinic arrived and the group told her and Adelaid of making a friend of Masek and his passing (washing over the specific events and the fight in the clearing with the wolves thugs and the 2 others from the train). Yvetta was surprised by the news and her and Adelaid argued for a minute but then Yvetta broke down and cried in the arms of Adelaid.

The group then went to the family farm and gave the news to the elder parent, soon the extended family & friends were in the house starting the mourning process for the passing of Mr Jarslav Hugo Masek

The group was invited to stay until the body of Masek arrived and the family could have a funeral for him. They decided to stay in one of the small cottages outside the family farm house.

They saw Yvetta go into a deep grief and become unhinged (and missed getting ther skulls cracked by her) but were able to restrain her and calm her down before she truly hert herself of anyone else.

The next night Doyle had a dream

You are setting comfortably on a hill overlooking a village … no not a hill not a village … a park bench a flower garden. Beautiful comforting, wild flowers, sway in the gentle breeze, warm sun shine blankets all. At one end of the garden 2 rose bushes grow one golden yellow, perfect reflection of the sun shining over head. The 2nd, smaller but in a way more substantial, white roses just beginning to bloom, as white as the snow peaked mountains off in the distance. Flowers like bells actually give off a soft gentle music as if silver bells ringing joyfully in the distance. Wild flowers of all shapes and sizes blanket the garden. Red Yellow Blue purple, and other colors. Vibrant healthy bees buzz joyfully spreading through the garden, making honey, aiding life

From your left a man/shadow skulks toward the edge of the garden, as he approaches clouds darken the sunlight. But the darkness is wrong, there is a sickly green tinge as the sun’s light weakens.

The shadow man stops, 1 seed, foul corrupt decaying and rotting, is flung from his hand, 2 3 4 5 seeds are flung into the garden

The first lands far from the shadow, near the roses. and a malicious weed vine shoot forth, wrapping around the yellow rose crushing the thorn covered stems ripping the bush from the ground snapping roots, snuffing out the flower in an instant. Another vine snakes to the white rose, burrowing onto the ground invading the roots. The white flowers darken, sicken, turn a foul gray.

The 2 nd seed lands among the blue bell flowers wrapping around them, destroying some others twisting, what had been silver tinkling becomes a disharmonious brass clanging
The 3 rd lands among the fiery red flowers to far side of the garden spreading poisonous vines sickening all
The 4 th lands closer to you amongst blue and violet flowers also bringing them down into corruption
The 5 th lands and instead of slicking vines, grey vicious wasps spring up, chasing down the bees, stinging them killing them devouring the corpses , returning to the hive and ruining the honey

You set starting at a field dead decaying filled with brambles, weeds, thorns, and skeletal bare branched brush

You set on a hill overlooking a village, gray corrupted ruined hate filled

C&C Society

Tue Nov 12, 2019 5:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]